Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 28, 2019   #16
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Renees seeds is selling “SunGold” Orange cherry tomatoes and Totally Tomatoes is selling Orange Sunshine Hybrid Cherry tomato. So living in Canada,where can I get my hands on Sun Orange Seeds?
Osborne was shipping to Canada a couple of years ago, but I have not chatted with them recently.

https://www.osborneseed.com/catalog/...2/sunorange-f1

For me in Zone 3a SunOrange fruits much earlier than SunGold.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2019   #17
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I’ll check it out.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2019   #18
shule1

I'd like to encourage you all to save seeds from the more expensive hybrids similar to SunGold F1. Although they're not true-to-type, there's considerable interest in stabilizing SunGold—but I understand that Sungold has resisted these attempts pretty well (although we have had some cool new varieties come from it). Maybe such as SunOrange would be easier.

Stabilizing hybrids aside, if you're in the USA, I'd be interested in any F2s you might have to offer some day.

Last edited by shule1; July 31, 2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old August 1, 2019   #19
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I'd like to encourage you all to save seeds from the more expensive hybrids similar to SunGold F1. Although they're not true-to-type, there's considerable interest in stabilizing SunGold—but I understand that Sungold has resisted these attempts pretty well (although we have had some cool new varieties come from it). Maybe such as SunOrange would be easier.

Stabilizing hybrids aside, if you're in the USA, I'd be interested in any F2s you might have to offer some day.
I plan on growing all the SunSeries I own in the '19-20 and will save F2 seeds for you.

I did grow out a SunGold Volunteer one year and fed it, treated it like an F1. It looked the same, it smelled the same, the difference was the texture of the skin. That was when I realized that I like these hybrids because I don't notice the skin.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2019   #20
shule1

Barb_Fl Wow. Thanks! You're awesome!

Big Sungold Select didn't have significant skin when I grew it, but it wasn't that sweet either, and it was a firm tomato (although I liked it).
Old October 23, 2019   #21
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default SUN ORANGE is just so awesome

Today, October 23, I ate my first ripe fruit of the '19-20 season. Until this season, since I've been growing SunOrange, I've always been away the entire month of September. Even bringing my plants back with me, they had to adapt to this hot / humid climate with a ton of wind.

I've never ate any homegrown tomato in October, cherry or otherwise. This is a first. Both plants had a few ripe tomatoes.

I'm growing mostly 2 of all the Tokita varieties. Sun Lemon looks to be amazing as a plant - I thought sort of a week seedling compared to the others, but fruit set is incredible without a lot of foliage.

Most of my Tokita plants are in their cage extensions already. SunCherry/SunPeach Earthbox combo has <1 foot until it reaches the top of the extension.

Seeds were sown Sept 1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1076.jpg (138.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1075.jpg (135.4 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Barb_FL; October 23, 2019 at 10:04 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019   #22
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

My mother had Sungold F2's volunteer in her garden; they looked and tasted identical to the F1's. I have some seeds for the F3. If anyone wants them, PM me.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote