Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 8, 2019   #31
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Witchcraft, there has to be a witch or possibly witches in the area.
Any new people in town or red heads they are your first suspects.
New people...hmm. Oh my, I know what's new. I bought the grandchildren a movie "Gremlins" - It's Steven Spielbergs' fault. Once you have gremlins in the garden - you either just give up or break out the shotgun.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2019   #32
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Worth that it must be witches . . . that put Bacterial Wilt in that bucket!

I graft to avoid BW. This year I tried a different rootstock that is supposed to be resistant to BW - it's not. I'm seeing the same thing you did.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2019   #33
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Jeff, have you used the RST-94-106-T root stock from NE Seeds? I haven't had a case of BW in a single plant that was grafted to it and I have used hundreds of them in ground in my garden over the past few years. I did however have it in some other grafts to different root stock and to a few volunteers that I allowed to grow.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2019   #34
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I agree with Worth that it must be witches . . . that put Bacterial Wilt in that bucket!

I graft to avoid BW. This year I tried a different rootstock that is supposed to be resistant to BW - it's not. I'm seeing the same thing you did.

Jeff
Wow, that would really irritate me. To do all it takes to graft and then still getting BW. (That's rewording it.)

I went with 10 transplants bought locally because the seeds I started looked healthy while in the cells, but I potted them up in some mix that something was wrong with it. The plants quickly looked bad and I eventually got rid of them. It was too late to start over again, so I bought transplants.

The plant that I started this thread about - I would have normally pulled it and put it on the burning pile a few days ago. I was curious as to what was happening with it and how to keep it from happening again. I have learned a lot from this thread, but what I already knew is true too. Too much rain is simply too much for some plants.
Old June 9, 2019   #35
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Jeff, have you used the RST-94-106-T root stock from NE Seeds? I haven't had a case of BW in a single plant that was grafted to it and I have used hundreds of them in ground in my garden over the past few years. I did however have it in some other grafts to different root stock and to a few volunteers that I allowed to grow.

Bill
I’ve used the RST 106 exclusively until this past year when it looked like NE Seeds was not getting any in. Harris is still advertising the RST 105 asBW resistant. It’s just not.

OTOH, my grafting gets better every year so I have way too many plants!

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2019   #36
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Final Pictures

I pulled the plant. Here are pictures of the roots and stem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01548.JPG (174.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01549.JPG (208.0 KB, 76 views)
Old June 9, 2019   #37
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, Robert, I don't see RKN and that stem area could be one of mine here right now. If you're going to replant the container, I would recommend getting it off the soil. I had mine tied down onto everything you can think of to keep them from direct contact with the soil I had that contained the Juglone (walnut wilt).

Small pieces of pressure treated wood (any dimensions) can also slow down things like fire ants and other critters. Rocks, bricks, blocks, concrete splashes, pieces of old rusty tin roofing, plastic milk crates, plastic soft drink crates, and a myriad of other thins are all on the list. Even old car tires can be adapted. The only thought I ever had was "isolation of the container from the ground".

Take care, Robert. Hope this has helped you plan for better gardening times.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2019   #38
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, bad post, ignore.
Old June 10, 2019   #39
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Wooden pallets work well for keeping buckets off the ground and you can fit several buckets on one pallet. And you can probably get some for free. Someone from a flooring installation company said they just trash theirs and gladly give them away. I had never thought of them as a source!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote