Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 24, 2016   #1

Default What's Your Number One Favorite Tomato

Hi,

I am putting together my grow list for next year and wanted to get some input as to your favorite or top 5 (I know it's hard to pick just one). Let's take Sungold out of the equation since I know that is a top favorite for many. Also, if by chance the last few years if you tried some new varieties and what you thought.

I tried Dwarf Rosella purple again this year and Dwarf Emerald Green. I think they will get a spot every year. They waste no time getting tall and put their energy into fruit production. Both are delicious.

I tried Sunrise Bumblebee this year and thought it was excellent. Not as good as Sungold but it is very good and such a beauty to display.

Japanese Black Triffele I tried and everyone loved. Will grow again next year. Very productive too.

That's it folks.

Thanks!
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2016   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

This season, Black Star.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Black From Tula was clear winner in my garden in 2016.
It was early, productive and very tasty.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Almost every year it is a different variety. This year the best tasting was Cowlick's Brandywine. The hands down most productive was Indian Stripe PL because we had a very dry hot summer and it just does better in those conditions for me than any other variety. During a very wet and rainy summer it is one of the worst. Might be a good one to try in that California climate.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I have always said that there are many top tasting tomatoes. It's (much) more difficult reaching their potential.
This is why I believe people's list changes quite a bit every year. Weather will contribute partly but I think nutrition is key, and not at all easy to balance.
My favourite cherry tomato is Galina. Wish it wasn't so gosh darnoodley sensitive to basically everything.
As for bigger variety, still not quite set on one. Probably Crnkovic for being the most complete OP tomato that I have tried (a good blend of production, taste, shelf life, crack resistance, earliness). But BTDP is not too far behind (and probably a bit better tasting).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #6
terrazoon
Tomatovillian™

Black from Tula is hands down the best of the best of the best for me. I don't know why I bother with other varieties ...
terrazoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #7
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Crnkovic Yugoslavian: the king, #1, first prize, da bomb, top dog, primo
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #8
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

My new-to-me favorite this year was Lucky Cross... awesome!
Another was Aunt Gertie's Gold, which along with Brandywine Sudduth and OTV were definitely my top four.

Surprisingly, Brandywine Sudduth was first to ripen in my garden, followed closely by Aunt Gertie's Gold, and both of these are late-season varieties that beat out all the shorter mid-season ones. Go figure.

My favorite GWR goes to Cherokee Lime (thanks Marsha!). It beat out Malachite Box, Esmeralda Golosina, Emerald Green Giant and Green Zebra Cherry for me.

Cherokee Lime is a winner for sure. I like it more than original Cherokee Green. Not sure why the taste difference, but there is to me.

Am dying to try Cherokee Lime Stripes if I can find seeds...
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Girl Girl's Weird Thing is my idea of a truly perfect tomato. So stunningly beautiful, a 9.8/10 for taste, crazy good production, and was the last plant still standing in my garden last season. BTW- nothing ever gets rated a perfect 10 by me for taste.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If you like Lucky Cross and you grow dwarfs, Wherowkowhai is basically dwarf lucky cross. I think they taste identical, and I agree that taste is excellent.

For market growing, I have been trying to collect tomato varieties with appearances that are unusual, yet attractive, but still taste good enough that I want to eat them. Some of this year's winners in that continual contest were Sky Reacher, Lucinda, Zebra Rita, Black Vernissage, Yamali Yellow, and 100 Pudov
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

If I could only grow one tomato variety it would be Sungold. That is because everyone I share tomatoes with loves it. If I were to grow only for myself - it would be Porter.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #12
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

This is not a fair evaluation since we had a very hot summer, drought, competing weeds due to some neglect and most of all BIRDS!! The birds were horrible and were pecking on the tomatoes even when they were green! But, the best tasting for this year was Papa Kerns..

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #13
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

My all-time favourite is Little Lucky. I just wish that the DTM was a little earlier.

I agree with Cole Robbie that Wherokowhai is very similar (slightly better) tasting in fact. However, I LOVE saladettes.

Indian Stripe and Rose are also fantastic for flavour.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #14
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I don't know, give me a few more years maybe.

I don't think you choose your favorite tomato, it chooses you. The ones that I want to grow based on reputation grew poorly (Paul Robeson), and the ones that I didn't expect anything from grew too well (Garden Peach).

For now, Black Cherry is the most vigorous and least diseased variety i grew.

Last edited by maxjohnson; October 25, 2016 at 06:50 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #15
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

In a difficult season for growing tomatoes like this one, Eva Purple Ball is the favorite.

http://www.southernexposure.com/eva-...-g-p-1107.html

78 days. (Indeterminate) [Late 1800s heirloom from the Black Forest region of Germany from Joe Bratka’s grandfather. Seed courtesy of Carolyn Male and Craig LeHoullier. Introduced 1994 by SESE.] Outstanding performer in hot, humid areas. Excellent resistance to diseases, including some resistance to late blight. One of the most blemish-free tomatoes we have grown, with a soft tender texture. Smooth, round, attractive pink-purple fruits weigh 5-7 oz. Fruits are easy to harvest, some dropping from the vine at peak ripeness, and easy to peel. A wonderful all-purpose tomato with excellent flavor.

In a good year for growing tomatoes like last year, Cherokee Purple is the favorite.

http://www.southernexposure.com/cher...6-g-p-669.html

85 days. (Indeterminate) [Pre-1890 TN heirloom, reportedly of Cherokee Indian origin. Introduced 1993 by SESE. Seed courtesy Craig LeHoullier.] Large, smooth fruits (10-12 oz) with slightly ridged shoulders. Ripens to a unique dark, dusky pink/purple. Sometimes called a black tomato, the color carries through to the flesh, especially at the stem end. Good resistance to Septoria leaf spot. A shorter indeterminate, plants average 5 ft. tall. ‘Cherokee Purple’ has spread widely since its introduction, with variations developing over time, but our strain is still the original, shorter shape
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote