Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 21, 2010   #1
tulsanurse1
Tomatovillian™

Default Will this mix compact too much?

I am doing my mixing tonight. I have been working tons so I have just gotten a day off. So, I've read all the posts and this is what I think is okay. What do you think?

2 Parts MG Potting Mix
2 Part Bark Fines-nuggets or finer
1 Part Mushroom Compost
1 Part Perlite
1.5 Part Coconut Coir

Will be adding a liquid fertilizer when done mixing.
tulsanurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2010   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

tulsa,

Sounds about right for a SWC container application. I don't know much about the mushroom compost, so maybe others can give you better advice. Have fun!!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2010   #3
tulsanurse1
Tomatovillian™

Do you think that the 1.5 part Coconut Coir is gonna hold to much water at that ratio?
tulsanurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2010   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsanurse1 View Post
Do you think that the 1.5 part Coconut Coir is gonna hold to much water at that ratio?
Personally, I wouldn't use it - - but that's certainly not to say it won't work. I just don't have experience with it, and I find the basic 3:2:1 Combo Mix meets my expectations in a SWC.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2010   #5
outsiders71
Tomatovillian™

By using coconut coir and perlite you're essentially doubling your potting mix... Save your money for the MG potting mix.

Coir in my experience is better than peat moss, but the cost of it keeps me from using it in containers. I do use it as part of my seed starting and transplant mix however.

As for the mushroom compost, I'm pretty sure that the base of it is made of peat moss, so you'd probably want to avoid that as it would increase the moisture retaining ability of the mix. I also see no point in using it in your container as a source of fertilizer since you're using liquid fertilizers. You're better off adding aged horse or chicken manure to your mix for fertilizer.

Here's a link that discusses mushroom compost and gives some information regarding container use as well, and some warnings about salts:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde
outsiders71 is offline   Reply With Quote