Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2009   #1
swimgymmom
Tomatovillian™

Default Inexpensive Waterer

Hopefully someone can help this newbie out with a question. I was reading a new gardending book and it had some creative and inexpensive ideas in there for pest control, composting, watering, etc.

In the book it tells you how to make a waterer for your tomato, pepper, etc. plants with an empty plastic bottle. It was kind of interesting. This is how it worked. You took an empty bottle of some type, 2-litre, milk jug, etc., and cut the bottom off. You took the cap and drilled several holes in it, then put the cap back on and burried 1/3 of the bottle cap-side down next to or between your plants. You fill the bottle with water and it will leach in to ground and water your plants without having to drag the hose and leave it run all day.

Here is my question. I know a garden is supposed to get approximately 1" of rain a week. Would there be any way of knowing how much an inch of rain is with this type of system?

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks.
Kim
swimgymmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2009   #2
lefty_logan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-save-water-in-gardens-and-small-holdings%3a-t/

This is another type of waterer similar to the one in the book except it is buried mostly in the ground and filled with absorbent cloth

For the 1 inch of rain just water like you would normally do but pay make sure you know when your plants need water. I am new to growing a whole garden but I will water most everyday with the hose just to make sure my plants don't dry out

Logan
lefty_logan is offline   Reply With Quote