Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 3, 2016   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default novice canning question

I canned 7 jars of plum puree, and had 4 jars left over. Then the next day, I discovered more plums in the refrigerator, so I made more plum puree and put it in clean jars with lids, so that I could can it later when I had more time. I now have enough jars for another boiling-water bath session. It's all in the refrigerator, but it's probably more than we can use soon.

The question is, if I want to can the rest of the plum puree, do I have to empty and wash the jars, reheat the puree, and put it back in the jars, OR can I simply warm up the jars as is (so that I'm not putting them directly from cold fridge into boiling water) and resume canning?

(I'm looking for a quick yes or no, but I will also look this up on a canning site. Later.)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

If I were doing it, I would warm, then process, but for a full 10 minutes longer just to be safe.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Simple answer as you asked for but you asked two questions at the same time.
So, no and yes.
At least let the jars get to room temperature at the very least.
They are already acidic enough the important pert is that they seal.
It is puree it isn't like you are going to hurt it by processing longer.
Folks years ago didn't have refrigerators what do you think they did with jams and jellies when they opened them up for use.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #4
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

The puree needs to be brought up to boiling before filling the jars. Simply warming up the jars does not insure that the interior of the puree is hot enough. I don't know if longer processing will cover that. You are going to all the trouble, might as well get it right.
Old June 3, 2016   #5
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Good advice offered. I like to make sure things reach temperature too. Canning is fun and satisfying!

I often accumulate fruit and tomatoes in my freezer between batches, rather than trying to hold stuff in the refrigerator. I think it just keeps better that way with fewer problems.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #6
coronabarb

It's not a question of botulism, more of spoilage to kill any mold spores floating around. Certainly folks did things differently years ago but this makes for a better product that will last longer. Your call.
Old June 3, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I would personally be more inclined to bring it to a rolling boil, put it back in the jars and let it seal and not process it, before I would prepossess it cold.
The folks that make salsas and so forth di it this way into jars and lids that have been through hot steam.
So why not just bring it to a boil and processes it.
Like I said it is puree you aren't going to hurt the texture like you would s pickled peppers.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

ok, I can unjar and reheat. I have a bunch more in the freezer, so if I also puree those plums, I may have enough for 2 batches! We picked all the cherry plums we could reach last weekend (first by hand, one by one, then with a rake! very effective!), and left the rest for the squirrels.

My partner canned one batch a few days ago. Tends to be impatient, and it was getting toward midnight, so may not have processed the full 20 minutes. Had never canned anything before, but still got snippy when I said to make sure the rims were clean. Also did raw pack -- just put raw pitted cherry plums in the jars, then filled with water. The jars bubbled a lot and there's quite a bit of stickiness on the outside of the jars. They all sealed, however. Now I wonder if they're safe!

I made some really good plum sauce to keep in the fridge -- just a pound of plums, 4 cloves of garlic, minced ginger (tablespoon), teaspoon of soy sauce. I will saute some tofu with onion tops and add the plum sauce.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #9
coronabarb

Those jars siponed some liquid out. Possibly too much liquid added. They will be okay if they sealed but wash the outside of the jars so mold doesn't start forming. I would personally mark those jars and use them first.
Old June 3, 2016   #10
coronabarb

Forgot to say, there is a really good oriental style plum sauce in the Ball Blue Book, I think it is. Has garlic and ginger in it.