Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 16, 2014   #1
kycountryboy
Tomatovillian™

Default what is max temp.

last year before i had knee surgery, i played around with 4 ft lights and had very good results, actually it the only way i will start plants from now on. last year was later in the spring. my building isn't heated when i am not there,
here in ky who knows what tomarrows temp will be, it was 65 sat and snowing today. i made a box for my lights, it is insulated with 2 layers and i have access holes to cool it down, i can remove all layers for later, when temp are warmer. i just started seeds this weekend what is the max temp, i should shoot for and the min. for starting the seeds, before i put trays in there all lights on i had 90, but that is before it cooled down, nows the temps is in 80-85, do i need to cool it down during the time my seeds are sprouting.
kycountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2014   #2
kycountryboy
Tomatovillian™

i just seen the temp. guidelines in this forum . anybodys answer will be welcome
Old March 16, 2014   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My germinating box is hotter than what most people here use. It gets 95+ in there. Heat is speed, and I am impatient. All I did was cut some holes in the box and cover them with clear plastic so that the sprouts grow upward; there are no lights. I try to take everything out as soon as it sprouts. I get tomatoes to germinate in about three days; lettuce takes only two days.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2014   #4
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

85°F is alright. 90°F scares me because you are getting to close to the seeds not germinating and dying.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #5
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Is it OK to "internet search" Tom Clothier germination temperature? I keep my tomato seed trays 80 ish (77-80 may be optimal - 104 F is too much) and cooler than my peppers (put peppers on top of the tomato light with another light over them)
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #6
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Plenty of information on the subject can be found in different places. I don’t remember them all, only the following :

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/info_tomtemp.htm
The Effect of Extreme Temperatures on the Tomato and Pepper Crop
I germinate at 78F to 80F ( 20 à 35) C)with the domes on.
Once the seedlings are up 2" high I remove the domes so air can start circulating. This is a critical stage where damping off can be a big problem. I leave them on the 78F (25.5° C) blanket for about 3 more days until they get their true leaves, and then move them to a 60F ( 15.5 °C) blanket for a week until I'm ready to transplant from multi-cell trays to pots. At this point they are hardy enough to withstand 40F (4.5° C) lows.
For tomatoes, germination peaks at 86F (30°C), but is still pretty high from about 68F ( 20°C) to 95F (35°C), and is lower at 41-68F (5°C – 20°C)..

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/germination.html
seed germination soil temperatures
Pepper 25.5 to 29.5 C 78-85F 0 to 14 days
Tomato 24 to 25.5 C 75-78F 7 to 14 days

Tomodori, a French site :
Tomato
Minimum temp : 10C / 12F
optimum range : 16C - 29C / 61 – 84F
optimum temp : 29C 84F
maximum temp : 35C 95F

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25599&page=5 post 74 etc etc. very rich

Using a thermostat, at least a thermometer, is recommended unless you are ready to roast your seeds sooner or later…
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #7
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I reread you post and realized that the temperatures you posted were air temps. The soil could be more or less than what you have measured. I too recommend a probe type thermometer. Take readings at the top and bottom of you trays, pots or whatever. Check more than one as the temperature can vary from one to the next.

Last edited by Doug9345; March 25, 2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old March 25, 2014   #8
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I think given temperatures are advised for the soil see
Quote:
Remember - the temperatures listed below are for the soil, not the air.
on the link given at the top of the page.
I've just remembered a useful site : http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
with plenty of details.

Last edited by loulac; March 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old March 25, 2014   #9
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry Loulac my comment was directed at the original poster which basically says the same thing as you do. I should have made it clear who I was responding to.
Old March 26, 2014   #10
loulac
Tomatovillian™

No problem Doug9345. Tomatovillians are used to making mistakes. Can anybody here certify that he / she has never bungled a sowing of tomatoes ?
Old March 28, 2014   #11
kycountryboy
Tomatovillian™

i made it through the cold snap in my unheated buillding. my boxes are off the ground i had room to put a temp controled oil filled heater under plants shelf held temp at 70-72. seeds have been out 12-14 days. i have plants 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 high and most have 2nd set of leaves at top. i am extremely happy. i might post pictures later this weekend
Old March 28, 2014   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default CONGRATULATIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycountryboy View Post
i made it through the cold snap in my unheated buillding. my boxes are off the ground i had room to put a temp controled oil filled heater under plants shelf held temp at 70-72. seeds have been out 12-14 days. i have plants 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 high and most have 2nd set of leaves at top. i am extremely happy. i might post pictures later this weekend
Time now to take them and run! Have fun with your new successful garden!

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote