Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 7, 2014   #1
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination woes....

I have a problem and need to find the answer.
Last season I saved seeds from two different varieties, both treated the same way, as per instructions on this forum.
I have just tried to sew the resulting seeds, but with problems. One germinated successfully and are growing well, but the second one is a complete failure.
The successful seeds were from later in the season, but the other was from early.
I have tried 3 times in the same soil, same conditions, nothing. I then tried soaking in a bleach solution for 30 minutes, again instructions off the forum.
Those last ones are in a wet paper towel, on a heat pad, have been 3 days, still nothing.
Strange thing, the seeds have all swelled up, but refuse to split. Might have to buy some new ones.
What am I missing?
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #2
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

The heat mat may have cooked them. Bleach sounds harsh. Some seeds come up faster. My Kitazawa seeds all came up fast. It took two weeks plus for Elbonian Mudball (2008) seed. Most of my seed comes up in about a week with no heat pad.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #3
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda'skid View Post
The heat mat may have cooked them. Bleach sounds harsh. Some seeds come up faster. My Kitazawa seeds all came up fast. It took two weeks plus for Elbonian Mudball (2008) seed. Most of my seed comes up in about a week with no heat pad.
No, not enough heat to 'kill' them, also the ones that did emerge were also on the heat pad at one point.
Still looking for an answer.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If the seeds were all from that same tomato, it sound like the seeds from that particular fruit aren't viable for some reason. I typically save my seeds from early fruit that set before the pollinators find my garden, so I don't think it would have anything to do with the seeds being saved early vs late.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #5
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for your problem. I too have had a lot of germination problems and have started over on many. I hope things turn out better for both of us.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote