Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 11, 2017   #1
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Default Another Which Disease is This

This happened overnight on a Sungold. The only tomato so far affected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4938.jpg (399.6 KB, 110 views)
Chapinz8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I would do some research on Tomato Russet Mites or possibly Psyllids.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #3
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

The psyllid type prevalent here leaves a tell-tale sugar, frass, gives you an idea of which end it comes out. And it's a slow death, growth tips go purple, uneven ripening and an off-taste to the maters. My primary insect nemesis.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42592
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #4
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for both your responses. I'm beginning to think it is TSWV after a lot of reading. The mites "generally" start from the ground up and this is from top downward. I've examined the leaves closely and there is no sign of eggs, sugar, etc, so it is possibly not psyllid.

I think maybe TSWV because 1) the leaves are curling inwards and 2) it is starting from the top and working down. But, I have an awful time trying to identify these diseases.

I may monitor another day and then pull it if I'm still thinking TSWV. I'm open for any other suggestions, counter points, etc.
Old May 11, 2017   #5
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Is it the entire newer growth on the plant, or just one area?
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #6
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Is it the entire newer growth on the plant, or just one area?
The plant has 3 stems. It covers about the top third of each stem. The main stem does have some small new growth with blossoms at the very top without the disease. The affected leaves have curled more in the last 4 hours.

Was going to send another pic but it looks much worse than the pics show.

Ironically, today I was going to take a picture of the entire garden (small, about 20 different tomato plants along with pole beans, cucumbers, peppers and okra and herbs) and post it to show I had not a single speck or dot of anything so far this year. I guess Mother Nature heard me and put me in my place.
Old May 11, 2017   #7
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapinz8 View Post
The plant has 3 stems. It covers about the top third of each stem.
Yeah, I'd be concerned about TSWV, too.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #8
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Have you checked for thrips? Take a sheet of white paper. Hold paper under flowering truss. Tap flowers onto the paper. If you see little dark specks that stay still for a few seconds and then start to move, you have thrips. Thrips are a vector of TSWV. In my experience Sungold attracts thrips because there are so many yellow flowers. Thrips are attracted to yellow.

On the other hand, Tomato Russet Mites sometimes start on new growth. They like to suck on the tender growth tips. If the newly formed flowers turn dark and drop off before they have a chance to open, it could be Tomato Russet Mites.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It looks like TSWV and since it is so early in the year you can easily replace the plant and still produce plenty of tomatoes from that spot. The thrips hit that plant several weeks ago so you may not find any on it now but there were some on it a while back. TSWV is just a fact of life down here in the south now like humidity and heat. In all likelihood you will probably see more of it before the season is done; but the most cases of TSWV are usually found during the spring and very early summer although it can be a problem throughout the season some years.

I gave up long ago trying to keep it out of the garden because no matter what I did each season to prevent it I still would lose some plants to it every year. The problem was that I could see no relation to my preventive measures and the number of cases of TSWV. This early in the season with young plants it is just easier and far less trouble to just replace any plants that are showing symptoms. Later if you see it on a more mature plant with lots of ripening fruit it is sometimes better to let the plant hang on long enough to get most of the fruit off it before pulling it. This season has been an especially good one for me and TSWV so far since out of over 50 tomato plants in the garden I have only had to pull one so far with TSWV. I know that good luck is not likely to continue for much longer but it is so much better than the last few years have been at this point in the season. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes open for now.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #10
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I think that Bill is spot on.
Old May 13, 2017   #11
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Thank all of you for your responses. I decided to pull it as I think it is TSWV and the plant looks poorly at best. I went by the somewhat local nursery and got a replacement Sungold. I also, without hesitation, reached over and grabbed a Green Zebra as I have spotted a place for another grow bag.

My first year with these grow bags which are 10 gallon. I'm filling them to about 80% with a raised bed mix from Whitney Farms. I added some pine bark fines to a couple. I guess when the temps hit the mid 90's I will need to water every other day. Hope these work out as they are convenient and easy to move and place where nothing is growing.