Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 1, 2017   #1
Keowee
Tomatovillian™

Default Do these tomato leaves look ok?

Hello! I just got back from a week out of town and we happened to get a bit of rain while I was gone. I had someone watering when needed, but couldn't keep an eye on things myself. Most of the plants look good (to me) but there is one with some foliar 'stuff' I can't identify, and there were a few with yellowing leaves at the very bottom close to the dirt that I clipped. I remember that being a sign of something, but it doesn't look exactly like anything problematic I can find. Thoughts?

Can you take a look and tell me if I need to take drastic action? I am willing to sacrifice them, if necessary, for the health of the herd For reference, they're all dwarf project varieties. Also, what preventative steps can I take, say weekly, to avoid more foliar/fungal/pest issues as the season continues?

Thanks!

[PS I realize these are all too close together -- they were a lot smaller when I left! I'm spreading them out this evening]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Keowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

On the whole, your plants are looking really nice.

Fred's Tie Dye is hard to diagnose from your pictures. Could you get a closer shot of the leaves and also take a look at the undersides of the leaves. I suspect this is insect damage but it is hard to tell from the photos taken. I also suspect that the culprit will be found on the undersides of the leaves.

You were right to remove the yellowing leaves on your plants. It may be the beginnings of Early Blight or it just may be the leaves are getting a little tired. At this point I would not worry about anything major happening to your plants. Many people do use Daconil as a preventative for many of the fugal diseases. Seeing as you are in SC where it is warm and humid, you may want to consider that option.