Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 15, 2017   #466
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

From PJ site -

Pepper Joe Jr. handed over the reigns of the business to Pepper Jo in 2015. She's ready to take on the next chapter in Pepper Joe's with your support. Pepper Joe is still around, to offer advice and guidance. Thank you for being a Pepper Joe's customer!

Same sh** different bucket!
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017   #467
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I hope and know this is being read in real time by said entity.In life one should want and leave behind a respect called Legacy.Capiche?
Old February 16, 2017   #468
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
Pepper Joe's is fairly well-known among pepper aficionados, but at the same time it's kind of infamous.

Pros: You get lots of free seeds, and the vendor will more than likely replace any crossed or mixed up seeds. They have some cool varieties, I think.

Cons: Many have complained about crossed and/or mxed up seeds. Prices are kind of expensive if you don't factor in the free seeds. So, if you're looking for something specific and only that, it's expensive.

My experience: I ordered from them once (14 July 2015). The Black Jalapenos were black (i.e. probably super dark purple) and looked like jalapenos (when fully ripe they were a dark red); they were productive and pretty awesome-looking; the leaves sometimes had some anthocyanin on them, too; they were thick-walled and though they didn't taste bad, they didn't have the characteristic jalapeno flavor for me; the fully ripe peppers likely had average jalapeno heat, and were a bit on the sweet side for a pepper, flavor-wise. I didn't try the non-fully-ripe peppers, since I wanted to save a very large amount of seeds, or something. I also tried their Yatzy pepper, which was decently productive, but the peppers were quite small (I didn't get that impression from the picture), granted, I had them in a 5-gallon bucket. The Carolina Reaper seed I grew set a few tiny seedless fruits indoors, which didn't look like Carolina Reapers (but like little ribbed pouches), and it grew into a very large plant outdoors, but it didn't get any fruit to prove whether it was true to type or not. The tiny indoor peppers were very hot, especially considering their size. I got some dried Carolina Reapers with my order. Those were pretty fun to have around. They gave me lots of free seed packets. I haven't tried them. I also ordered their Giant Syrian tomato, and though I got a plant, I didn't manage to get any fruit from it as far as I found (perhaps it was too crowded). I grew the plants I mentioned in 2016, although I started the Carolina Reaper in 2015.
Hi Shule1
When I ordered from P.J.they did send me free seed. Hungarian Hot Wax and Indian Jawala pepper-the free peppers came up fast and were true. Good, healthy plants too.
The second pack came up fast. I did get a few Orange Peters too. I got Aji Limons as well. The young plants looked different while growing (in pots before planting in a raised bed). Some of the plants leaves were wider than the others. Since I do have some seed left over-and the plants can go in big pots this year, then it will not be a problem keeping them separated.
Also, I did get two more packs of free seed. Bird Pepper and Anaheim Chile.
You mentioned Hungarian Black pepper. I grew those before. Wonderful plants, both beautiful and useful, but yes, a bit different than Jalapeno's, my favorite pepper.
Reapers look weird. Scorpion's just do. So they grab my eye and I think it might be cool to grow some. However, I can imagine some ninny-hammer getting a hold of a pod and suing me on Judge Judy!
Your Reaper, did you over winter it?
I hope that your garden, wherever you get your seed is a great success
p.s I noticed that there are a lot of seed sources for Carolina Reaper this year...that kind of surprised me.
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #469
Mule Valley
Tomatovillian™

I have purchased Pepper seeds from Pepper Joe for several years. No problems. I consider his prices high, yes. But with no problems.
Mule Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #470
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Valley View Post
I have purchased Pepper seeds from Pepper Joe for several years. No problems. I consider his prices high, yes. But with no problems.
I think it might be a good idea for you to to go back to page one of this thread and read through to this last post , which actually I just did myself, and read about stolen pictures, awful cartoon vids Joe did,many of us receiving horrible phone calls from Joe, then many of us receiving summons to court in Myrtle Beach and on and on.

It's not about receiving seeds that turn out to be right for the variety, nor the cost,whether it be Joe or her.

What it's all about IMO is integrity,honesty,and respect for others . In other words moral behavior.

Carolyn
Old April 12, 2017   #471
Mule Valley
Tomatovillian™

My apologies. I did not know. I don't normally go back 30 pages of comments in online discussions. Doesn't sound very good. Thanks for correcting me.
Mule Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #472
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Valley View Post
My apologies. I did not know. I don't normally go back 30 pages of comments in online discussions. Doesn't sound very good. Thanks for correcting me.
Happens sometimes Mule Valley.. No. Wait. I do it all the time! .. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2017   #473
shule1

@Carolyn

Thanks for the note on the other stuff besides seeds. I was confused about what had happened, too. I went through the whole thread. Feel free to delete my previous posts in this thread if you can do that as a moderator. (In fact, please do!) They're plainly off-topic. The thread isn't about how much you will or won't like the seeds (although that is a topic many discuss in other places off-site). It's not a thread for reviews of Pepper Joe, by the look of it.

Last edited by shule1; April 13, 2017 at 08:09 AM.

Tags
carolina reaper , deceitful , dishonest , joe arditi , lies , opinions , penny mohney , penny's tomatoes , pepper joe's , photo theft , reviews , untrustworthy