Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 25, 2017   #16
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I may not have been totally clear. I do not go looking for carpenter bees in dead trees. I only try to reduce the number that are assaulting my home. The rest I find are useful in buzzing around my beans and peas. We have a lot of un-pampered trees around here. We choose not to cut something down just because it's not pretty. We have a lot of oak, hickory, walnut, sycamore, poplar, alder, locust, pine and cedar trees and they are left alone for a variety of reasons - not to mention shade and scratching posts for the cattle. In the past seven years, I've had to replace 6 of the 12 shutters on the house and various segments of the trim on this brick house. I've had the roof replaced with steel and also had the soffits and all other trim replaced with sheet metal. So, in self defense, I let any carpenter bees that want to play up here at the main house know that they are not welcome.

We have several different kinds of bees and other pollinator critters that show up in the main garden each year. And, our experience is that the carpenter bees will bore thru some paint layers if they choose to. They are also not deterred by treated lumber, in fact seeming to prefer it.

So, there you are, my world. If I were rich or had won the lottery, I might let someone else worry about it. But my reality is that I refuse to allow critters to damage my home and will exercise "extreme prejudice" to protect my home. The carpenter bees that show up in the garden have nothing to fear from me. I've had them fly around me while picking beans. I don't go looking for their homes in trees to destroy where they live. But I want the same respect for where I live.

I'm done with my rant.

Happy gardening, y'all!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; April 25, 2017 at 06:01 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #17
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I agree with you there Ted. I don't let them bore into my home either. I just didn't like the idea of what sounded like killing them in places like trees away from the home.

I get frustrated by things like this. I have neighbors who want to kill anything that trespasses on their precious lawns. Skunks deserve to die because they dig holes in the lawn (looking for beetle grubs) but then the same neighbors who want to kill the skunks spray poisons on their lawns to kill grubs. It drives me crazy.

I like to try to live in harmony with nature but of course I draw the line at letting insects or animals destroy my home as you said.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #18
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

they hate grease,so if I see a hole I smear old axle grease on it.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had some carpenter bees show up at my house.
The SOB's wanted union wages so I sent them packing.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #20
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

We have had some rain last night and a lot of wind. My bee wasn't at his post today and strangely I miss the little guy.

Brownrexx, I also have a set of neighbors that feel they have the right to kill anything in their yard (even loose dogs) and actually used to shoot rabbits IN MY GARDEN >,< My garden was on the other side of my yard from them. But good lord and butter don't set foot in their yard. I plant clover for the bunnies and can't get started tilling my garden until the Killdeer eggs hatch. So I tend to "live and let live".
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017   #21
b54red
Tomatovillian™

About ten years ago my boat shed totally collapsed due to carpenter bees. It looked fine except for a few holes in the beams until one day the whole thing came crashing down and the beams were nothing but a thin shell of wood with a maze of tunnels hollowing them out. I have found that a spray of WD-40 in a carpenter bee hole will kill them pretty quick and then I just caulk it. Even with treated lumber then still bore into my new shed roof beams regularly and I have to be vigilant or the same thing will happen again. I never bother them anywhere but my home or shed when they have bored in.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017   #22
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I think that you probably have more of them in the south than we have here but they can be very destructive here too although I have never seen buildings fall down. The really bad thing that many people don't realize is that it's not just the hole that does the damage but they chew large galleries into the wood that connect to the hole and they can be as much as 2 feet long.

If they bore a hole you can fill it with expandable foam, caulk or stainless steel mesh. Don't use a regular steel wool pad because it will rust and make a rust stain on your house.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017   #23
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

was the boat shack covered by insurance? I am kinda hoping that the carport collapses, so I can build it right and pocket some coin.

someone got me one of those "salt" guns (which humidity clogged) and they would just knock them down at point blank range but not kill.

I put the trap in a busy intersection on the carport rafter. it thins the herd.

I like to hear the snow crunch, but not so much bug underfoot. I hate the crunch of a cockroach and all that nasty slime.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017   #24
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I once had a board the mailbox was mounted on and they turned it into one of those pacman mazes.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017   #25
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I never saw a carpenter bee until we moved to Virginia. They bore into the trim on my house - even freshly painted trim. I live and let live - as long as they let me - live and let live. We have plenty of standing dead trees in the woods - they are welcome to them.

But, boring into my house is not going to happen without a response any more than squirrels chewing an entrance into my chimney. Preferred method of control on the ground - a backhand with my racquet ball racquet.

I will try the WD40 in the holes.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #26
oakley
Tomatovillian™

It is a timing issue for sealing the holes. Expanding foam is way too soft. They can chew
right back out quickly. It has been a while since i plugged some holes. I would re-visit a dozen googled suggestions if i need to fill again.
I was out this morning with the pups and did see a few buzzing around.
Boric acid works. Messy though. Our previous owners left a shelf of toxic stuff behind in
the garage.
The trick if i remember correctly is to get something in the hole during the day while
they are out. They carry it in when returning, then block the hole. Wire wool/steel wool
has a coating to prevent rust. Later caulk the hole with wood filler to match.

They like dry cut wood, not rotten forest trees or fresh live trees. Why they go after the
wood under your eaves. Out of wet weather.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote