Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 3, 2015   #1
ginawelch
Tomatovillian™

Default plant yard sale

I've been selling plants in my front yard for about ten years now. I have a small greenhouse and put out what I don't use or give to family and friends. I'm on a main road in our small town and advertise with signs. This year I put out some Facebook posts, am taking pre-orders and getting a great response! People leave me their unwanted plant cells and pots on my front porch for me to reuse (I wash them with the bleach solution to avoid damping off). They also leave me mini blinds which I cut and make into plant markers. After seeing what others charge I know I'm way too cheap (50 cents for tomatoes and herbs, 25 cents for veggies, $! - $3 for perennials). This is a hobby that I hope to turn into a business when I retire and move in 4 years. Any advice?
ginawelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginawelch View Post
I've been selling plants in my front yard for about ten years now. I have a small greenhouse and put out what I don't use or give to family and friends. I'm on a main road in our small town and advertise with signs. This year I put out some Facebook posts, am taking pre-orders and getting a great response! People leave me their unwanted plant cells and pots on my front porch for me to reuse (I wash them with the bleach solution to avoid damping off). They also leave me mini blinds which I cut and make into plant markers. After seeing what others charge I know I'm way too cheap (50 cents for tomatoes and herbs, 25 cents for veggies, $! - $3 for perennials). This is a hobby that I hope to turn into a business when I retire and move in 4 years. Any advice?

I am impressed by your determination. Love the way you recycle in a loving farming way. I love the way you have gotten your neighbors and friends and family to recycle the old plant containers. Your prices are good for a hobby. But business brings many regulations like new pots. But you can handle that when you are ready to retire. Enjoy your hobby and your "Plant Yard Sale"for now.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Charge more, I am on the low end and I charge 2$ per seedling. Most people at the farmers market charge more than that and every store does. One guy charges $3.50 per plant and usually sells out. I will likely raise my price next year to 3$ per because their seems to be more demand yearly which adds more work/time invested. My point of view is if customers are happy to pay that much, why not make more money? I enjoy doing it very much but it is work, and I value my time. Good luck with everything!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #4
gelwood
Tomatovillian™

Default Pricing for your tomatoes

I have offered 4 varieties of tomatoes for sale this year, Kelloggs Breakfast, Cherokee Purple, Red Brandywine and Yellow Pear. I've sold over 150 plants @ $4.00 each and not a single person has complained about the price.

I do label them as organic heirlooms, which they indeed are, and that I have sprouted them from seeds from last years tomatoes. I mix up my own organic potting mix. People seem to appreciate the healthy plants that I have raised from my own seeds.

Happy Gardening!
gelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #5
ginawelch
Tomatovillian™

Where would I find a list of regulations? (I live in Ohio) Under what agency would I search?
Old April 4, 2015   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Where would I find a list of regulations? (I live in Ohio) Under what agency would I search?
Just call your extension agent. I suspect that selling plants from your own yard is not regulated at all, but to be sure just ask.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #7
bigmeanmamma
Tomatovillian™

Yep, you've got to charge more to start building your business now so that when you are ready to retire its viable.

Also, I would start an email list of all of your customers that way you have a way to contact them. Email is a free way to advertise and keep yourself in you customer's awareness. You could even develop a quarterly or monthly email with growing tips, recipes or whatever. Ask people to forward your plant list to their friends.
bigmeanmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2015   #8
ginawelch
Tomatovillian™

Next year I will start charging a little more. This year I advertised my plant sale on two local Facebook pages and got about 35 pre-sale orders! I think I'll have my daughter help me to start a garden group on FB and I can ask those people to join. I like the idea of gardening tips. My daughter already helped me to make my first YouTube video on how to make newspaper pots for seedlings - that can be my first tip
Old May 4, 2015   #9
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

I'm not on facebook, so unless your facebook is open I can't follow you, but I would love a link to your youtube video.
a sunny day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #10
ginawelch
Tomatovillian™

http://youtu.be/VX6E4wA6hMM
This is the video I made on how to make pots out of newspaper. I hope I sent it correctly
Old February 28, 2016   #11
ifmacdonald
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
http://youtu.be/VX6E4wA6hMM
This is the video I made on how to make pots out of newspaper. I hope I sent it correctly
Great video! One of the simplest demonstrations I've come across. Quick too.

Aside from the cosmic karma points for recycling, I am intrigued by newspaper pots for two reasons: the material allows for a degree of air-pruning, and the dimensions are flexible.

Consequently, I was wondering if deeply transplanting seedlings into pots 3.5" wide and 5-6" deep would allow me to squeeze more real estate out of 1020 trays in the weeks leading up to planting (or selling) without sacrificing the plants' root system. Do you have any experience in doing anything similar?

I'd love to hear more about your experiences so far, thanks for sharing.
ifmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote