Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 25, 2015   #1
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Default sodium bicarbonate

Does anyone has any experience in using sodium bicarbonate to prevent fungus?
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Yep. Go with Potassium bicarbonate instead. It is much more effective.
Greencure is a ready made product. Make your own GC by adding a spreader/sticker to some PB.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #3
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

ok,
Where I live, people use sodium bicarbonate to treat rust on garlic or onions.
But with potassium bicarbonate I should have better results?
Is there any known difference between potassium and sodium bicarbonate as fungicide?

And my last question,
How much potassium bicarbonate should I dissolve in 1l water?

Last edited by Itoero; May 26, 2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old June 19, 2015   #4
Eric02476
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itoero View Post
ok,

Is there any known difference between potassium and sodium bicarbonate as fungicide?
Yes. There is a good body of scientific research supporting greater efficacy of potassium bicarbonate vs. sodium bicarbonate as a horticultural fungicide. The information is commonly published by reputable academic extension agencies, such as in this PDF link:

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/ext...bp/bp-69-w.pdf

As others have mentioned, neither bicarbonate is effective unless mixed with a surfactant (spreader sticker). I'm currently using GreenCure, a commercially premixed potassium bicarbonate product, for the sake of convenience.
Eric02476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #5
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Itoero, I use sodium bicarbonate on my tomatoes, I've never used it on garlic though. Do you know if it actually works?
Sodium bicarbonate is easily accessible here, not so sure where I could get the potassium one...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #6
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Yes it definitely works on garlic to treat rust.

If you use it on your tomatoes, how many gram do you solve in 1 liter of water?
Old May 27, 2015   #7
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes it definitely works on garlic to treat rust.

If you use it on your tomatoes, how many gram do you solve in 1 liter of water?
This is the spray I use:

5 liters of water
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
one teaspoon of liquid soap or detergent
one teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (I never weighed it)

Mix half the water (it should be rather warm) with soap and oil to get an 'emulsion', add the rest of the water (this should be cooler) and sodium bicarbonate at the end, mix thoroughly.

Spray the plants from top to bottom so they are literally dripping with it. Don't forget the underside of the leaves.
Old May 26, 2015   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
ok,
Where I live, people use sodium bicarbonate to treat rust on garlic or onions.

And my last question,
How much potassium bicarbonate should I dissolve in 1l water?
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/download.php?id=126nteaspoosg

I used 4 teaspoons of potassium bicarbonate and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap (not detergent) per gallon for powdery mildew on squash and it was effective at killing PM. Experiment and see what works best. I don't particularly like the idea of using sodium bicarbonate because of the potential phytotoxic effects of the sodium ion which can vary between the type of plant. Besides potassium bicarbonate is just more effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
Itoero, I use sodium bicarbonate on my tomatoes, I've never used it on garlic though. Do you know if it actually works?
Sodium bicarbonate is easily accessible here, not so sure where I could get the potassium one...
Potassium bicarbonate is sold by wine making suppliers, Best price I've found was $7.50/LB + shipping on ebay.

Last edited by RayR; May 26, 2015 at 11:32 AM.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2015   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the recipe! My squash will get powdery mildew every summer at some point. I'm going to try this recipe. I can readily get KaHCO at my local homebrew supply store. Like anything, I imagine getting things early is key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/download.php?id=126nteaspoosg

I used 4 teaspoons of potassium bicarbonate and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap (not detergent) per gallon for powdery mildew on squash and it was effective at killing PM. Experiment and see what works best. I don't particularly like the idea of using sodium bicarbonate because of the potential phytotoxic effects of the sodium ion which can vary between the type of plant. Besides potassium bicarbonate is just more effective.

Potassium bicarbonate is sold by wine making suppliers, Best price I've found was $7.50/LB + shipping on ebay.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2015   #10
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Thanks for the recipe! My squash will get powdery mildew every summer at some point. I'm going to try this recipe. I can readily get KaHCO at my local homebrew supply store. Like anything, I imagine getting things early is key.
I have mixed 1oz of Neem Oil with the recipe also and bumped the soap up to 2 teaspoons or so to emulsify the oil better. That works too, maybe even better coverage. Neem oil has its own fungicidal properties so the combo is good.
You have to get full coverage of the squash since the powdery mildew attacks the whole plant, top and bottom of the leaves and the stems. You have to re-spray once sometimes twice a week since the PM will come back with a vengeance if you don't.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #11
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

How long does sodium or potassium bicarbonate works?
How often should I repeat it?
Old June 15, 2015   #12
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I have mixed 1oz of Neem Oil with the recipe also and bumped the soap up to 2 teaspoons or so to emulsify the oil better. That works too, maybe even better coverage. Neem oil has its own fungicidal properties so the combo is good.
You have to get full coverage of the squash since the powdery mildew attacks the whole plant, top and bottom of the leaves and the stems. You have to re-spray once sometimes twice a week since the PM will come back with a vengeance if you don't.
Would the anti-fungal properties of this spray be a good preventative of fungal issues on tomatoes in wet weather?

I'm thinking I would mix it up a gallon at a time--would using it over the course of a couple week at a time. Would that be ok?
Old June 1, 2015   #13
Iva
Tomatovillian™

In the dry season, I use it as a preventive spray every other week, in the wet season, once or even twice a week...
Old June 16, 2015   #14
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I mainly have issues with Septoria. So far so good but we've had a very wet week and the wheels are turning in my head. Think I'll just mix what I need. Thanks for the feedback.
Old June 16, 2015   #15
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Green Cure, which is the potassium bicarbonate, says on the label not to store unused solution, so I suspect it does not keep.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote