Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2014   #1
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Default Supermarket Tomatoes

After hip surgery, I started a few supermarket tomato seeds and put them into 18 gallon recycling tubs and let them go. One of the older plants has 16 tomatoes on it now. So far little to no disease or insect damage, and this is Miami Florida.

Last edited by Garf; June 23, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Nice job Garf. They look healthy. Hope to see you this year at the swap! If not, enjoy your wonderful harvest.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Good to see you are up,moving and producing.
Old June 23, 2014   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Almost all supermarket tomatoes are F1 hybrids unless they have a display of heirloom ones, so if you saved the seeds from any F1 hybrid, you now have F2 seeds and you have a mystery going as to what you'll get.

And welcome from me to the hip surgery survivor club.

Carolyn
Old June 24, 2014   #5
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

I am willing to bet that they will taste much better than the original tomatos you bought from the supermarket.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #6
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

What a great way to recover. The tomatoes look super. I hope you continue toward better health.
yardn_gardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Garf, I did answer your same question in much more detail elsewhere, as you know, and can cut and paste it here if you want me to.

I discussed F2 seeds, genetic segregation, and why your plants will look different and what it takes to stabilize a selection.

Modern supermarket F1 hybrids can have many parental inputs and that's why you don't usually get anything that tastes good, due to that genetic segregation,but as I said above, it is a mystery, so please keep us up to date on what you get.

Carolyn
Old June 24, 2014   #8
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, always good to experiment.

I've done this with some cherry tomatoes that were labelled Piccolo as the variety name on the packet and they seem to have stayed very much the same in subsequent generations. Not sure if they were F1 or not, the label just said variety Piccolo, but I guess they might have been. Quite a nice cherry
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #9
zero244
Tomatovillian™

I have never tried what your doing. I only buy supermarket tomatoes if I am extremely desperate. I would rather not eat any tomatoes than eat commercial tomatoes. So most of the year I don't eat fresh tomatoes. I would imagine even the supermarket strains if left to ripen on the vine would be a five fold improvement. If you pick a dead green Brandywine and let ripen inside it will lose 70 percent of the quality compared to letting it at least ripen internally on the vine.
Keep us posted on your progress.
zero244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #10
travis
Tomatovillian™

I've grown out many F1 hybrid tomatoes, and even used some of them in direct crosses with my open pollinated lines or even with other F1 hybrid types. In fact, I got the idea from examining North Carolina State University's breeding line program, and pursue it with some successes and other failures.

For example, three of NCSU's best TSWV-resistant breeding lines are direct grow-outs of the Amelia F1 hybrid. In other instances, Texas A&M's Blazer F1 was used by NCSU as a direct parental input for greater hotset capability in other breeding lines.

NCSU's use of F1 hybrids as inputs or to develop open pollinated, true breeding seed lines must be an accepted practice as their results are proven over time in many excellent breeding lines and resultant F1 seed products, particularly in the Mountain Series.

Two of the more recent successes I've had with growing out seed taken from store bought F1 hybrid tomatoes have been with regard to Kumato and Tasti-Lee. In both cases the majority of F2, F3, an F4 plants have done very well and produced excellent fruit in terms of production, appearance, and flavor. In one case, I am now getting some interesting and excellent F2 and F3 results from crossing a particularly good example of Kumato F2 with a smaller, sweeter cherry relative of Sun Gold.

And yes, I have had some rank failures when growing out F2 seeds from other F1 hybrid tomatoes. For example, Brandy Boy and Merced were two such instances where not until the F3 and F4 did I come to the realization that I had wasted a whole lot of time and garden space!

So, I say go for it and enjoy the trip. You might get lucky!

Last edited by travis; June 24, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2014   #11
Garf
Tomatovillian™

What really amazes me is the disease resistance in Miami in summer. My garden usually dies long before this stage.
Old June 27, 2014   #12
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I shut down 1 month ago.I take all my container leftovers,rootballs left over maters and scatter them in yard where needed and mow it up.This year two volunteers came up and now they are thriving at 4ft. with flowers.These are the ones I ususally save seeds from after a ID in a couple of months.
Old July 4, 2014   #13
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Plants 3 & 4 are loaded with blooms and are starting several tomatoes. I only hope the insects don't find them.
Old July 5, 2014   #14
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing Garf. As we all know supermarket tomatoes are not so good but, once I let some ripen and they were very good. It is nice to get a pleasant surprise when you did not expect one. As many of us have found out, volunteers can do the same.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #15
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf View Post
After hip surgery, I started a few supermarket tomato seeds and put them into 18 gallon recycling tubs and let them go. One of the older plants has 16 tomatoes on it now. So far little to no disease or insect damage, and this is Miami Florida.
Hello Gart

This year I took a Super Market tomato Named UGLY Heirloom and save the seeds just to see what the Tomatoes would look Like.

They look just like your tomato pictures. You are right the plants are very healty but they did not look like the parents at all.
I am going to give these Tomatoes to the homeless in my town. So maybe the Supermarket should say Tomatoes not Heirlooms if they are not sure.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote