Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 7, 2009   #46
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Another yellow. Nice taste and good texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1_080709b.jpg (72.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg p1_080709a.jpg (71.9 KB, 13 views)
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2009   #47
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Continuing with the yellow trend here ... this is one of the oddest tomatoes I've ever seen. It actually had two stems connecting it to the plant. One was flat and wide and the other was normal in appearance. One half of the tomato has BER. Anyway, here it is.

Update 8/15/09: This is the best tasting of this cross that I've had so far. It's a very strong fruity taste. Nice and juicy. Very few seeds. I dug out every seed, but there were only 6.

Well, poo, I see there is a thread for G x GMG F2. That's where I ought to be posting! So sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p2_a.jpg (58.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg p2_b.jpg (56.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg p2_081509.jpg (78.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg p2_090809.jpg (57.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Sherry_AK; September 9, 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Add photo & tasting notes
Old August 25, 2009   #48
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Since I already made the error of posting all my other updates here, I'll just continue to do so.

Plant Q1 indeed turned out to be a green when ripe. And a good one at that. It had a creamy texture (not quite as creamy as Green Giant, which is the only other tomato I've eaten which could be so described). Very good taste. It left a good taste in my mouth. I really like this one.

This leaves only 1 of my 7 plants yet to give me ripe fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg q1_082409a.jpg (62.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg q1_082409b.jpg (66.2 KB, 11 views)
Old August 25, 2009   #49
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, now I'm confused where I should be posting but I think this next pic is a nice comparison of the green F2 and F3 lines .....

Here in my PL F3 green from Ray's F2#5
juicy sweet and mild with lovely tomato scent when sliced - taste tested off plant 2

Sherry, I really like the look of the yellow's locules - heading toward GMG's internal structure - maybe some big ones are lurking in this line??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20090824GxGMGfinal.jpg (142.8 KB, 16 views)
Old August 25, 2009   #50
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I posted in another thread. I love the green when ripe taste also.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2009   #51
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Denise -- Looks like your green ones are a bit larger than mine maybe. This particular plant was grown in my new greenhouse which I am still learning to use. I had to keep it well-covered with the shade cloth this warm season so that it did not overheat. That essentially created a fairly low light situation and I'm finding that in general the fruits from this greenhouse are smaller than ones from my other greenhouse.

I'm glad you posted your photo here for comparison. Overall they look pretty darned close, don't they?

Sherry
Old August 25, 2009   #52
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Sue -- Were yours about the same size as these?
Old August 25, 2009   #53
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

And the last plant also has yellow fruit. So, of the 7 I grew, 6 were yellow and 1 green. All were small-fruited, but at least slightly larger than a cherry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q2_082509.jpg (57.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg GxGMG_082509.jpg (80.5 KB, 11 views)
Old August 25, 2009   #54
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I was going to ask about your numbering system and how it relates to plant #1 and plant#2 that Denise labeled. I have 3 plants, 2 of #2 and 1 of #1. The #1 plant has yellow fruit, both small beefsteak and rounder. Plants #2 seem so far to be green when ripe, some golf ball sized. They may be more of the amber color on one plant. It appears that these plants are still segregating. If I let mine gwr get that amber in color as yours above it would be over ripe. Yours look to be orange and I don't have that color. My yellow ones were bright yellow and they did have those shapes but bigger than cherries. They all seem to have slowed down ripening. I am likin' the taste.
Sue
Old August 26, 2009   #55
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Sue -- the 'P' plants are from Denise's F1 #1 and the 'Q' plants are from F1 #2. Sorry, I should have said that before.

That deeper golden color in the group photo above is a bit deceptive. First, they look a little darker color in the picture than they look in real life, plus the fact that some of those are really almost over ripe. We're falling behind in our tomato eating! Most of the ones we've eaten have been a nice clear yellow and were just perfect. And the single Q2 in the photo above is actually not quite ripe, but it will be yellow. The only green one I have is Q1.

Sherry
Old August 27, 2009   #56
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Galina x Grub's F2 fruit

Here are some photos of what I am calling the gwr fruit off of plant #2A. It is pretty soft in these pics so they may be over ripe. I don't have the hang of the gwr tomatoes yet. Largest is golf ball size with a real good taste.
Sue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galina x Grub's #2A.jpg (69.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Galina x Grub's plant #2A.jpg (61.9 KB, 11 views)
Old August 28, 2009   #57
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

OK -- Now I've tasted fruit from each of the 7 plants I grew. This last one, Q2, was quite a surprise.

This was the sweetest tomato I've ever tasted. I mean, the sweetness in this tomato would make Sun Gold seem positively sour in comparison. I've never tasted anything like it. And I really can't decide if all this sweetness is a good thing or not. It was totally unexpected. I hope I get a few more off this plant before frost so I can see if they all taste that way and try to form an opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg q2_082809.jpg (60.0 KB, 10 views)
Old August 29, 2009   #58
salix
Tomatovillian™

Sherry - can you say "tomato berry jam"?
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2009   #59
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Now that sounds good!
Old October 13, 2009   #60
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

It's been months since I was here. I'm so pleased that the tomatoes from this cross seem to be producing good results. Both parents are excellent varieties but that doesn't guarantee that their progeny will be any good but there certainly seem to be some beauties popping up here.