Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 30, 2015   #16
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

The sepals are blue.

120 Blue Berry sep.jpg
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #18
travis
Tomatovillian™

Ambiorix, while I agree with you to some extent that the anthcyanin types first used to create the glut of new "blue" tomatoes seem to have been highly attractive to bees, or otherwise seemed to have "special powers" of cross contamination, do you not think also that some of the dramatic variations you are seeing in your tomato population may be caused by the wildly unstable stage in the germplasm of a couple of the anthocyanin lines with which you began(Shadow Boxing, and other Wagner F2s and F3s)

That being asked, I still agree that the anthocyanin plants that first became available to several of the hobby and professional breeders (OSU Blue and P20) appear to have been highly attractive or highly susceptible to bees or bee-carried cross pollination.

The first and only time I grew OSU Blue, I saved seeds that resulted in the so-called OSU Large, which obviously was a cross between OSU Blue x a purple beefsteak in my garden (most likely Indian Stripe, as that was the purple type with the most plants present in that year's garden).

In another case, I grew what was supposed to be a pink cherry something from a Rose Quartz cross with another pink tomato from Keith Mueller, and got a ping pong size, red cocktail tomato with blue shoulders ... obviously contaminated by something Keith was working on from P20 crosses.

That was enough for me to stop growing anthocyanin types, as while I do experience accidental outcrosses, I do not experience them at the same apparent high rate as I did with the antho types. Same comment on the variegated foliage types ... they too have been barred from the garden.

Last edited by travis; November 1, 2015 at 10:25 AM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #19
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

This year I had Blue Beauty in my garden and late in the season I could see antho "contamination" almost on all of my tomato varieties, especially on yellow/orange ones. Did not see any bees this year, but it was windy. Chuchloma and some yellow from commercial pack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 363-3.jpg (282.0 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Allisa; November 2, 2015 at 02:30 PM.
Allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #20
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Should be Mr Stripey tomato
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8724-1.jpg (419.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8722.JPG (377.3 KB, 97 views)
Old November 2, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Ambiorix, while I agree with you to some extent that the anthcyanin types first used to create the glut of new "blue" tomatoes seem to have been highly attractive to bees, or otherwise seemed to have "special powers" of cross contamination, do you not think also that some of the dramatic variations you are seeing in your tomato population may be caused by the wildly unstable stage in the germplasm of a couple of the anthocyanin lines with which you began(Shadow Boxing, and other Wagner F2s and F3s)

That being asked, I still agree that the anthocyanin plants that first became available to several of the hobby and professional breeders (OSU Blue and P20) appear to have been highly attractive or highly susceptible to bees or bee-carried cross pollination.

The first and only time I grew OSU Blue, I saved seeds that resulted in the so-called OSU Large, which obviously was a cross between OSU Blue x a purple beefsteak in my garden (most likely Indian Stripe, as that was the purple type with the most plants present in that year's garden).

In another case, I grew what was supposed to be a pink cherry something from a Rose Quartz cross with another pink tomato from Keith Mueller, and got a ping pong size, red cocktail tomato with blue shoulders ... obviously contaminated by something Keith was working on from P20 crosses.

That was enough for me to stop growing anthocyanin types, as while I do experience accidental outcrosses, I do not experience them at the same apparent high rate as I did with the antho types. Same comment on the variegated foliage types ... they too have been barred from the garden.
Travis I have always respected your thoughts on things from way way back,
You have convinced me to not have these things in my garden.

I hope I'm not considered the so called peanut gallery that was mentioned in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisa View Post
This year I had Blue Beauty in my garden and late in the season I could see antho "contamination" almost on all of my tomato varieties, especially on yellow/orange ones. Did not see any bees this year, but it was windy. Chuchloma and some yellow from commercial pack
Quote:
Should be Mr Stripey tomato
Now I am confused.
Are you saying that these plants produced this from commercial seeds not ones you saved?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Good question Worth and I'll ask another one.

If Blue Beauty was in your garden this year, as you said, then any cross pollination would only be seen from saved F2 seeds and subsequent plant out, not from fruits that developed in the same year.

Carolyn
Old November 2, 2015   #23
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Now I am confused.
Are you saying that these plants produced this from commercial seeds not ones you saved?

Worth
I wasn't clear enough. I've purchased Sakharnyi Pudovichok from Ukraine , which supposed to look like on Tatiana's site http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...nyi_Pudovichok

But instead I got some mystery yellow tomatoes (I planted only a couple of plants). They were completely yellow in the beggining of the season without any darker top, but toward the end of the season a few clusters began to develop different shade of darker tops, the more sunlight they got the "shoulders" looked more darker.

Mr. Stripey I got from a local nursery as a plant.

Chuchloma was from a very old commercial pack of 7 years old, which I got from Russia. Even though I grow it every year I didn't save the seeds from previous years. But I could tell the difference in the fruits even from the early season of this year.

Same happened to Orange Strawberry, which I've purchased back in 2012, Pink Honey (a commercial pack from Russia 7 years old), Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye, which I got a few years ago from Brad Gates site, and a number of other pink varieties.

Below, are more photos of the mystery yellow and Chuchloma. I did not make photos of others, but it was a similar story.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, because I've never done any intentional crosses myself and know almost nothing about crosses. But I noticed a big difference colorwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9125-1.jpg (320.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8732-2.jpg (346.2 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Allisa; November 2, 2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old November 2, 2015   #24
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Good question Worth and I'll ask another one.

If Blue Beauty was in your garden this year, as you said, then any cross pollination would only be seen from saved F2 seeds and subsequent plant out, not from fruits that developed in the same year.

Carolyn
Don't know what to think, but my Orange Strawberries did not have these dark shoulders in the past. Today isn't enough light and my camera couldn't catch the true color tone/shade. It's more darker brownish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9256-1.jpg (232.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9263-1.jpg (299.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9246-1.jpg (368.4 KB, 82 views)
Old November 2, 2015   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Very odd thanks for posting the pictures.

Worth
Old November 2, 2015   #26
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

For number of years my Chukloma used to be like on this man's video: evenly orange color without any "shoulders"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snvx7Vh9Vvs
When the tomatoes got these "shoulders" later in the season it could not be ignored.
Old November 2, 2015   #27
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Very odd thanks for posting the pictures.

Worth
I just wonder if I'll save some seeds from these tomatoes (let say Orange Strawberry), how many plants I should plant next year for F1 and the year after for F2 in order to see if they are cross pollinated?
Old November 2, 2015   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea I know less about it than you do.

Worth.
Old November 2, 2015   #29
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

The Dancing with Smurfs I've been growing had very little speckling (<5% of the surface) on top for the last 3+ mos. Today I noticed a cluster with some decent shading, about 30-40% of the orb. I've been looking closely since they started giving fruit, simply because they taste very good to me. Mosaicism perhaps? Incomplete penetrance? Who knows, I was happy I had some blues.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #30
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I just wonder if I'll save some seeds from these tomatoes (let say Orange Strawberry), how many plants I should plant next year for F1 and the year after for F2 in order to see if they are cross pollinated?
I know Orange Strawberry very well, if you want to discuss thisone, see Tania'slink for it

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...nge_Strawberry

First, you save seeds from the Orange Strawberry you grew this past summer, those are the F2 seeds. You sow them for plants next Spring, set out plants and see what you get.

There is no F1 involved.

So the same for any of the ones you grew that you say were contaminated with antho pigment.

Am I correct in assuming that your heritage is Russian or Ukranian or similar? If so, you cannot trust many seed companies there on what they show on the seed pack compared to what the seeds inside give you.

I learned this many years ago from Tania, Andrey in Belarus and Clara in Germany.

I've grown many Russian and Ukranian and Moldovan and Bulgarian, and Latvian, etc., varieties and before I knew which seed sites were the best it was a mess. Although many of those I got from individuals , from students and faculty where I was at the time teaching.To be honest, except for that great seed site in Estonia, from which I got about 40 new varieties recently, thanks to Clara, since my Russian is limited and I knew no Estonian, but she is fluent in Russian, it was terrible,Well I remember a variety known in English as Pink Flamingo and even Tania couldn't figure that one out when I sent her pictures from one of my seed producers who was growing it for me.But that Estonian seed site has changed dramatically in the past two years, mostly F1's and nothing I'm interested in

Why do I love varieties from Russia so much, especially the family heirlooms, not so much the ones that are bred there? Part of my heritage is Swedish and as you know the Swedes colonized many areas in Russia, so I once told Andrey that since it was some of my ancestors that went to Russia that I was at one time a Russian Princess.

Besides, when I hear a Russian men's chorus sing I melt down completely to a wee puddle of protoplasm.

Carolyn, who also has all those faux paper icons that Andrey once sent me.