Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2009   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Frost for North Georgia

Out local ABC affiliate's intrepid chief meterologist Glen Burns (no kin to Frank) has dropped the F (frost) word and given us a forecast of 30 degrees in downtown Atlanta next Tuesday. That means we'll be about 26F here and that's a hard frost. Monday is no bargain either with predictions in the mid 30's here.

For my North Carolina neighbors, time to have plans in place for protecting those tender seedlings.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2009   #2
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Whoa! Thanks for heads up! RDU area has lows of 38 & 34 for Mon/Tues but on the coast we are currently a little higher - 41 & 40 respectively through Wunderground. I have transplanted 240+ seedlings so far & have them out back sitting on the black, warm soil in the newest raised beds. The overcast drizzly weather has helped them right along - buried as they are right up to their little necks! We are predicted to get some heavy rain tonight so I covered them with some of last year's burlap just to break up big drops... so spoiled they are! LOL
I have already warned DH we may have to push the jon boat out of the garage if it looks like a freeze. Will be watching carefully. Peppers will definately have to go inside for anything lower than 50s. Ypu think 40s OK for tomatoes or do they need to go inside too?
Thank goodness for aspirin (for me).
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2009   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

When it did this to us last year (and in years past), I make teepees and tents and shove a 100 watt light bulb inside. That has resulted in zero frost damage. People put them in water barriers and all kinds of other expensive store-bought rigs, and yet they put up 1000's of Christmas lights (that put off heat as well as light). Hmmmmmmm!!!!!

The latest looks like three days of risky temperatures next week. Logistics, logistics, logistics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old April 3, 2009   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've looked at three weather sites - so far none of them are lower than 34....so fingers crossed! No way I can all my plants indoors - and I am in Boston for the week anyway!
Old April 3, 2009   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Oh no, Craig. Well, I'll think positive thoughts for you and maybe others can help and we can keep those "positive waves" headed for your plants.

What got me concerned was the fact that 30 in the "heat island" of "Hot-lanta" gets my attention.

That said, I'm in a micro-climatic area where the weather folks are always talking about a "wedge" of cold air. The flow comes off the cooler eastern side of the Great Smokey Mtns and comes zipping all the way down here to the south-western end of Lake Lanier. Sometimes the temperature difference between here and downtown can be 12-15 degrees.

Still shivering

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old April 3, 2009   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

It's getting worse. Now, at the 6 o'clock report, Burns says that Tuesday will bring us 28 F with a good chance of some snow flurries. I guess that everyone from northern Alabama thru North Georgia into North Carolina and maybe some of South Carolina should keep watch on this weather threat.

"WHERE'S THE HEAT?????"

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old April 7, 2009   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Now it's a freeze warning for everything south of the line which makes the Virginia/Kentucky southern borders. Maybe this is the "Easter Cold Spell" and we can be done with the cold for a while.

Heads up, Craig. Raleigh is included.

Almost Frost-Bit,

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old April 7, 2009   #8
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

After a month of 60-70 degree days i awoke this morn to the site of 2 inches of powder...yuck but its supposed to be 70 again by wednesday here on the Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia line. Dogwood winter was a little rough this year...still have blackberry winter to go then its on like donkey kong...Gizzard
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2009   #9
cozy
Tomatovillian™

Default Can't have nothing!

Sheesh, check out the 15 day forecast at accuweather.com
19th and 20th do not look good. Had frost here last night that got some stuff ( was supposed to be low 40s but I saw 36 and guess it was lower at ground level because the asparagus and hydrangeas took a hit).
Tomatoes were snug in the smaller greenhouse but I have to start setting out in the morning ahead of rain.
We have been in a drought for several years and I guess the varmints are hungry. I have rabbits chewing through fencing, deer eating stuff ( 52 broccoli plants amongst other stuff) as soon as the table is set and the weather frowns.
Ah well .... so it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-Rabbits.jpg (163.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2009-Broccoli.jpg (158.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2009-Broccoli 001.jpg (158.8 KB, 15 views)
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2009   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Cozy, if it were me, I think I'd be looking at some venison jerky and rabbit stew.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch