Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2009   #1
JohnMich
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall (autumn) planting

It has just turned to autumn (fall) here in Queensland Australia. Climate about same as Hawaii. (beautiful one day, perfect the next)

This also coincides with the near completion of my first Earthtainer.

What if any are my chances of getting tomatoes started from seed or seedlings now? I can get seedlings at local nursery.

I know, I know - pushing it but gee! I can't just sit here looking at the 'tainer can I

Love this whole forum!
JohnMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2009   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I tried it last year, and the weather did not cooperate. There's a nurseryman in California that has been promoting autumn tomatoes for several years. He's based in southern Calif. but comes up here around Aug/Sept and sells his seedlings for $5 each. The varieties he sells in the fall are early-season, and he promotes the use of a humic-acid supplement and an organic fert as well. (Maybe it's still on his website? www.gotonursery.com)

I tried it last year because I had hardly any tomatoes by the end of July. I planted the new ones in August, and it got too cold and rainy by the time they were ready to produce, so I got only a handful of tomatoes from 3 plants. But my spring-planted tomatoes finally started producing in mid-August, and I had tomatoes from those plants until the first frost in December. If I plant in the fall again, it will be from my own seed-grown tomatoes.

Here are some links from my files:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...sn=001&sc=1000

http://www.latimes.com/features/home...408,full.story

Holly HayesSTAFF "Even cold-weather tomatoes feel unhappy effects of frost". Oakland Tribune. Feb 17, 2007. FindArticles.com. 26 Aug. 2007. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n18625068

Last edited by habitat_gardener; March 23, 2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add links
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2009   #3
JohnMich
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Habitat!

The articles were interesting, particularly the Westchester couple, but I was hoping that there was someone out there who had had success in fall starts!??

Please!
Old March 24, 2009   #4
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hi John,

What are your Fall Temps there?

~* Robin
Old March 25, 2009   #5
JohnMich
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall & other temperatures

Hi Polar Lace. We count autumn/fall as starting 22 March winter 22 Jun and start of Spring 22 September but I put in rest as advertising for the beautiful Gold Coast! People from southern states come to Queensland for winter - in Oz the further you move north the hotter it gets like in South America.

Please see xls attachment

Hope this helps you to give me some advice
Attached Files
File Type: xls averagetempsTV.xls (19.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by JohnMich; March 25, 2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Loss formatting on temperature stats
Old March 31, 2009   #6
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Heck I would go for it unless it drops down to 40's.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote