Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old August 20, 2019   #1
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Default Cheesy Okra Fritters

This is our first time making Okra Fritters and everyone liked the recipe, we used a Mexican three cheese blend for the cheese.

If we make this again, we are going to try the three cheese blend with an additional 1/4 cup of cheddar.
Were also going to try this recipe with broccoli florets in place of the okra.
I liked the fritters a little thinner and crispier, others liked them a tad thicker, try it both ways.

I suggest a dipping sauce for this, My kids use ranch for everything and I was going to just put out some ranch then I was going to try a honey mustard dip but opted for the copy cat recipe for outbacks Blooming Onion Sauce and it was a hit, even the neighbors commented that the sauce made the dish.

Don't buy buttermilk unless you can use it all, it's not worth it. Instead you can make your own.

Cheesy Okra Fritters

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Canola Oil
  • ½ cups Flour
  • 2 cups Okra, Coarsely Chopped
  • ½ Small Onion, Diced
  • ¼ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 Egg
  • ¼ cups Buttermilk
  • 1 cup Shredded Cheese
Salt And Pepper

Preparation

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. In a large bowl, combine the flour, okra, onion and cayenne and toss to coat. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk until thoroughly combined.

Add the buttermilk mixture to the okra, stirring to combine.

Add the cheese and stir again until fully incorporated. Salt and pepper conservatively.

Working in batches, drop batter in small mounds into the oil (a small ice cream scoop works well). Using a spatula, gently press each mound until slightly flattened.

Fry the fritters until golden, about 4 minutes per side, flipping once. (If they’re browning too quickly, adjust the heat.)
Drain the fritters on paper towels or newspaper, sprinkle with kosher salt and serve warm.

Blooming onion dipping sauce

INGREDIENTS:
  • ½ cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish (GO HEAVY)
  • 2 teaspoons ketchup
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
Dash ground black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper

DIRECTIONS:

In a small bowl, stir together all of the ingredients until completely combined.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Leftover dipping sauce can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.

Buttermilk Substitute
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar, or fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup milk

Place the vinegar in a glass-measuring cup, and add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Stir to combine and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes (The mixture will begin to curdle)
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019   #2
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Get your hands on Quesos Oaxaca (think Mozzarella, but with more mojo), Manchego (the MX style, Spain version different), and Chihuahua (this will be your cheddar), and then you'll have a true Mexican three cheese combo. I guarantee your fritters will zing.

It'll be similar to the difference between Kraft Parmesan Cheese and Parmigiano Reggiano.

Your confections look tasty.

Last edited by Gerardo; August 20, 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

This sounds really good and thanks for posting it.

It would be interesting to try the real Mexican cheeses but this area isn't urban enough to find them. Queso blanco maybe at Walmart but that's about it.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All the Mexican cheese got popular in Texas and the price went up.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019   #5
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Yeah worth, just like chicken wings, and brisket. The "Q" circuit did a number on brisket prices.

I think sports bars drove up the prices of wings once they became known as "Buffalo Wings". Would you have thought 30 or 40 years ago they would have restaurants dedicated to Wings? "Buffalo Wild Wings"

Wings were practically given away 30 years ago. Years ago we bought chicken necks for crab traps, who knows what they cost now.

You can get boneless chicken breast meat for the same price as wings $1.99 a pound and whats crazier is you can get Chicken Thighs .99 a pound and $1.49 a pound boneless.

I'm waiting for a few more Barbecue shows featuring thighs then they'll be $5.00 a pound!

I seen brisket for $7.99 a pound such a joke, I would rather buy a better cut of meat, although I have done some tasty briskets on my pit, I don't think it's worth it. Factor in the weight loss and a briskets price near doubles.

Supply and demand at its best!

Gerard thanks it is now in my notes. I think the fritter needs a more "Melty" type of cheese.
I think the mix I used was skim mozzarella, Provolone, and cheddar cheese

Would Gouda be an option, I know I can get that around here.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I made these today and they're really good! Had to go without the blooming onion sauce though as I was out of horseradish. Tossed it out a month ago as it had gotten really old since we don't use it much. But I have it on the grocery list now because I want to try that sauce!

Wings and brisket. You're so right about the BBQ circuit killing the cheap eats there. And just let the food shows get on any new ingredient kick and there goes the price neighborhood for that item like pork belly. And for some reason, I'm not seeing 10 lb bags of chicken leg quarters on sale much any more. I wonder why.

A friend of mine who worked in a grocery meat department turned me on to chuck eye steak. It used to be pretty inexpensive because nobody knew what it was. The meat workers would buy it themselves because it's so tender and beefy. Well, their secret is out because now chuck eye, when you can find it, is about 6.99 lb.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Try butterkase cheese or any like it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote