Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 6, 2008   #16
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Ok so you put 4 tomato plants in one 15 gallon bag? Is this better than using smaller bags for each plant? Is it more stable?
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008   #17
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Just saw the last 2 postings.

I planted out 4/01 or so-4 plants in a 15 gallon grow bag with zeba. Some are determinates, some are indeterminates. Did the same for cukes, chile and eggplant. Used soiless potting mix.

Some folks would only put one plant or two. I have put as many as 6 dwarf plants in a 15 gallon grow bag. You will have to try different approaches. Would I like to have 2 acres of rich soil? Sure, but I live in the desert and that is not what I have available.

Bill-If you are using Zeba, that will help you. What you want is consistent watering-by hand, the problem is to avoid big swings in the wet/dry cycles. With containers, you want to avoid that. Zeba helps you to do that. No way to give you advice more than that-you are going to have to adjust your watering as needed. One of the big problems with the wet/dry cycles is blossom end rot. Zeba and consistency will help you avoid that.
Old May 6, 2008   #18
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I never heard of Zeba until this thread, is it the Quench product? Have you used thier fertilizers as well? Searching n ow for where to buy it! I am having a hard time finding a soiless potting mix anywhere....any recomendations from anyone in Georgia?
Old May 6, 2008   #19
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I bought zeba from groworganic.com

http://groworganic.com/search.html?p...tegory=catalog

here is the manufacturers list of where to buy:

http://www.zeba.com/where/where.htm

I used zeba in the greenhouse this winter and I liked it. so far so good with my outside plants.
Old May 6, 2008   #20
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

well I guess I will order some when I order grow bags! Sounded very interesting as did their fertilizer. But I probably won't order the latter, I think i like mixing all my organic stuff up and making compost tea too much!

Thanks for the links!
Kelley
Old May 6, 2008   #21
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

happy to help-anytime
Old May 6, 2008   #22
natural
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

Thanks for the info. One more question. How much Zeba to apply to a 15 gallon grow bag. Is it really 1.5 teaspoons per gallon ( that is 22.5 tsp in one 15 gallon bag?). I hope this is not correct. I'll go broke.

I only added about 6 tsp to a bag. I do not think that I used anywhere near enough.

Kelleyville,

I bought soilless mix from Progress Growers in Canton. However, the big box stores should carry at least one brand.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008   #23
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Zeba usage charts are here...if you look at the top there are tabs for different uses...
http://www.zeba.com/technology/technology2-4.htm

15 G pot 2-6.33 tsp

Canton is soooo far away but might be worth the trip if they have a good brand on the other hand may as well order pro-mix cause shipping and gas are about equivalent hehehe Thanks though!

Kelley
Old May 7, 2008   #24
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Kelley-Thanks for the link. But it calls for 2-6 tablespoons, not teaspoons.
Old May 7, 2008   #25
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

whoops not enough coffee! I saw teaspoons first then glanced at 15gallon...sorry! That isnt all that bad though if you need to make sure your plants stay wet? Someone who uses this stuff needs to give us an idea of how far the small container at $14.99 will go!

Kelley