Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 31, 2008   #1
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Default the "new" "Smart Pots"

Has anyone tried these out?

http://www.smartpots.com/edibles

I saw them recommended on Laurels Heirlooms for growing tomato plants.

Do you guys think they will work? I'm tempted to try them- a 20 gallon container is only $11.95.

I know they won't be as easy to maintain as the Earthtainers :0)- but with my klutziness they might just save me a finger! I'll probably end up making one or two Earthtainers at some point, but that requires purchasing and learning about power tools first!

I don't know what is in my new yard's soil. . . so I thought I could use some of these in my yard with a florida weave or whatever to hedge my bets and maybe put a few the patio. . . if it turns out my dirt has verticullam (sp) or something, I don't want to lose EVERYTHING.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Heather S

Last edited by hasshoes; December 31, 2008 at 03:04 PM.
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2008   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Heather,

They do look quite interesting as the root development possibilities appear better than clay pots, etc. But I bet with the mesh sides, that they will waste a lot of water in the heat of the Summer.

Regarding constructing EarthTainers, frankly if you have not used power drills and saber-saws in your life, I wouldn't recommend you build them on your own. Do you have a neighbor or friend who is proficient with power tools that you could "enlist" to build them?

I'd be happy to assemble a couple of them for you - - but the darn shipping charges from CA to CT would be too expensive. I'm sure some hobby gardener familiar with power tools could be found in the Hartford area to help you out. Contact your local Master Gardeners Association there to see if someone might be intrigued by the project......

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2008   #3
JCBigBlue
Tomatovillian™

Default Haven't tried them yet....

I ordered some the other day. I'm going to be using Ray's Earthtainers for half of my plants and the Smart Pots for the rest. I wish it was Spring already!
JCBigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2008   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I think the type of aggregate you use in these smart pots is going to be a major player. As Ray pointed out water retention will be a major concern and this is why the type of aggregate used will determine that retention as drainage certainly won't be a problem. I think drip irrigation could be a must for these type of containers. Ami
Old December 31, 2008   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

It is a bit expensive given the material it is build from.

And I'd second Ami's comment that the mix with high water retention qualities will be a must. Even in our not-so-hot (or should I rather say 'plain cool') PNW summers large plastic pots (18 gal) require watering once a day, and 5 gal pots require watering twice a day, as the soil dries up very quickly. It will dry up even faster in the 'Smart Pots' I'd think.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2008   #6
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Ray you are too nice. I've always wanted to learn how to use power tools, but perhaps on plastic isn't the best way to start. That reminds me though. . . I need to update my profile- - - I live outside of Boston now. . .I'm sure I can find someone handy around here!

What kind of soil would I need--- something like that Miracle Grow Moisture Retention?

We live on a hill near the ocean so it's consistently several degrees cooler here than Boston, which is several degrees cooler than Connecticut. The upside (I hope!) is that the real summer heat seems to be mainly during the afternoons of July and August- mornings and evenings tend to be pretty comfortable. Should that make my watering easier?
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2008   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Heather,

You can use regular Miracle Grow Potting Mix (without Moisture Control) as I found it both worked better, and was about 20% less expensive than the one with the M.C. additive. Just make sure it is Potting MIX - - not Potting SOIL.

You are in a beautiful area of MA. I once worked next to Faneuil Hall and commuted daily to there from Nashua. I am sure you will find some folks there who can give you an assist in building your EarthTainers.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2008   #8
JCBigBlue
Tomatovillian™

One of the advertised selling points of the Smart Pots (if true) are that they actually stay considerably cooler than plastic containers as they do not retain the heat like dark plastic pots do.
JCBigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2009   #9
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Tania- I just read your post- thanks, that's good to know. Maybe I'll just try a few to test them out.

Happy New Year everyone!!!!
Old January 2, 2009   #10
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

I'm using Smart Pots to grow fingerling potatoes.

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #11
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasshoes View Post
Tania- I just read your post- thanks, that's good to know. Maybe I'll just try a few to test them out.

Happy New Year everyone!!!!
Good luck Heather, and do let us know how it worked out.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2009   #12
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

I just found these, which they say reduces the evaporation problem. I haven't found the price link yet, though.

http://www.rootmaker.com/products_roottrapper2.php#jump
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2009   #13
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Interesting link, nightshade. There is some neat stuff, thanks for posting. I didn't see a price link either, but I did see $50 minimum order.
Old January 4, 2009   #14
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

It looks like they sell to nursery and grower suppliers only. I can't even find prices in their catalog, but it makes for educational reading material!
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2009   #15
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting. I did read at I think? Laurel's that this technique has been used by nurseries for tries for years.