Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 18, 2008   #16
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Yeah Ami, I agree. The duct tape around the outer perimeter didn't meet the W.A.F. so paint was the only other option.

Plan "B" is to find a spray paint close to the tan color of the container, and apply it on the lower 6" on the outside of the shell to make it more opaque.

thanks,

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2008   #17
feralcatfriend
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

My suggestion both to stop the light and cool the containers is an insulation product called "Reflectix." It's like silver bubble wrap and comes in different widths. Wrap it around the outside of the containers. In my area (Maryland), Lowe's stocks it but Home Depot doesn't, although I think they have it available to order online.

I found Reflectix when I was looking for something to cool off some recycled black 15-gallon containers I bought from a local nursery. I didn't think that they got very hot due to being black, but this year I planted very late and found out the soil in them got so hot it hurt my hand. This explained to me why about 20 percent of my plants last year didn't produce until late in the summer when the daily temps finally dropped into the 80s, then they flowered and fruited like mad.

Also, I thought about using the packing peanuts in the crevice around the aeration bench and decided to go another way. I used wide fiberglass screen and cut it long so there was plenty to stuff down in the crevices all around. The roots can still get through if they need to.

Cynthia
feralcatfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2008   #18
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Reflectix material. I will check it out at Lowes.

BTW, I no longer need to use packing peanuts, as I've come up with a better way to clamp the side walls of the outer container to the Aeration Bench. I simply use 2 spring loaded toggle bolts to pull the seams together:

Here is a link to the most recent Rev 1.4 Instruction Guide:

http://www.tomatofest.com/pdfs/Earth...tion-Guide.pdf

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2008   #19
outsiders71
Tomatovillian™

I'd still like to know what disease your tomato plant had. I still believe the algae was benign.

Also Ray, check out Wal-mart, and look for a fire blanket. They are made of mylar and should be relatively cheap.
outsiders71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2008   #20
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Your containers are "hydroponic" in that you are relying on the wicking of water up from a reservoir, plus the use of an artificial nutrient source to creat a stable environment, rather than relying on decomposition of the medium for nutrients or the water holding capacity of the medium. The composition of the medium (organic vs inorganic) doesn't matter. Coconut husk is widely used as a "hydroponic" medium. You could fill the boxes with a mix of perlite and charcoal and get the same growth.

The paint is a good idea.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote