Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 10, 2023   #1
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Default Ruby Slippers - Wow!

I have to give a HUGE shout out to Karen O and her new tomato, Ruby Slippers. It’s a cocktail tomato, and the plant is described as short and bushy. That’s exactly what mine is. It’s full grown now and about 40” tall. It’s also quite bushy. It does not have rugose leaves like a more typical dwarf. I picked the first ripe fruit a couple of days ago. You know how it goes some times with the first fruit of the season off a plant. The flavor can be missing. That was NOT the case with Ruby Slippers. The flavor was fantastic, rich and full-flavored. My wife’s eyes lit up when she took the first bite. This will be grown in my garden again for sure. I may have to add it to my “every year” list.

Bravo!

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2200.jpg (110.0 KB, 183 views)
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2023   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Oh wow Lee! I’m so happy that you enjoyed your first taste . I think it should get even better for you and I hope you have a lot of tomatoes as the season goes on.
Ruby slippers is a brachytic dwarf. ( bushy, early branching with short internodes but not Rugose )
My goals in my dwarf breeding lines are great flavour, relatively early and productive so I am very pleased with your result. You are among the very first to grow it outside of my own gardens and I’m so pleased with your review so far. I hope you’ll try the others too. Thank You!!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2023   #3
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

I’ve also found Karen’s Polaris to be one of very few that have great tasting first fruit in my garden. Will have to give Ruby Slippers a try.
ClarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2023   #4
deltoro
Tomatovillian™

Nice tomato.
How is it possible to get some seeds?
deltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2023   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltoro View Post
Nice tomato.
How is it possible to get some seeds?
There are some seed sellers in the EU trialling it so perhaps will be available for late summer/fall
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote