Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 7, 2007   #16
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

From what I understand, some corns do better in the northern half of the country and some do better in the south. I tried Golden Bantam several years ago, before we had the pool taking up most of the back yard, and it didn't do very well. I later read that this variety is not recommended for the south. But two that are recommended are Country Gentleman (shoepeg) and Stowell's Evergreen, both white varieties. Maybe someone who has grown one or both can chime in here?
Old January 7, 2007   #17
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Default Sandhill Preservation

I sent Glen and email on Dec. 27th got a reply today. I didn't expect a fast one from what Carolyn had said and it being this time of year. I was asking if and when the online catalog would be updated. His email was very courteous. And he said he was adding me too the list for a printed catalog. He stated the seed portion of the online catalog should be updated sometime this week. So if anyone was wanting to see the new offerings before ordering it should be soon. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2007   #18
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

I just got the catalog yesterday. I don't need pictures to drool. The unbelievable amount of varieties and incredible prices will make it easy to feed my tomato addiction.

I noticed that there is no shipping over $10 and he gives volume discounts: 10 packs for $16 and 20 packs for $30.

High five and a shout of "OH YEAH."

LoreD
Old January 12, 2007   #19
'mater
Tomatovillian™

WooHoo!!!! Been waiting for it and there it was in today's mail. Going to spend the afternoon checking out all the choices tomato and otherwise.

One of these years I might even have to trial some poultry. Very interesting reading.
'mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2007   #20
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I spent the morning cozy in my favorite armchair (ice storm outside; have my fingers crossed re power) going through the Sandhill catalog and writing down my order. Man-oh-man, I went crazy! DO NOT TELL MY DH.

When I get my BC catalog it'll be the same thing.

The TGS order is pretty much finalized and will go out in a day or so.

As others have mentioned, we as gardeners are in the end responsible for the continued health of the seed companies we most cherish. Save your own seeds, yes; trade seeds, yes; give some business to the seed companies--yes, absolutely.

So much to grow. So little time.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2007   #21
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default Liz Birt and Gary O'Sena

Sandhill has a large stock of Liz Birt seed and a very limited amount of Gary O'Sena. You can buy as much of the Liz Birt as you want, but he will only sell single small packages of the Gary O'Sena. These are NOT listed in the catalog. They will be on the website when Linda finishes updating it.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2007   #22
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Does anybody happen to have a PDF copy of Sand Hill 2007 Tomato List? Somehow I didn't get a copy in the mail and I'm too antsy to wait until their web site is updated. :wink:
hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2007   #23
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

I got my seeds from Sand Hill Preservation in the mail yesterday. I received everything I ordered plus two free packets. WOW!
Old January 21, 2007   #24
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Wow! They are faster this year! Mine should be here shortly!
Old January 22, 2007   #25
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

BTW, the two free packets I received were Yellow Ping Pong and Yellow Ruffled.
Old January 22, 2007   #26
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

My two freebies were White Potato Leaf and Yugoslavian. The Royal Hillbilly seeds I ordered were stamped Certified Organic Seed, whereas none of the others were. Interesting.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2007   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The Royal Hillbilly seeds I ordered were stamped Certified Organic Seed, whereas none of the others were. Interesting

I don't know if it's at the website yet but in the 2007 catalog Glenn explains in great detail why certain of their fields were certified organic and why others weren't and why that happened and when they expect ALL of the fields to be certified.
Old January 22, 2007   #28
natural
Tomatovillian™

I just read the Sandhill catalog regarding their organic certification issues. That's a real shame.
As a certified Organic Grower, I can attest to the difficulties that organic certification presents. My hat's off the Glenn for his efforts.
I've spoken to a few farmers that have been financially devasted due in part to companies that falsely promote organic products. This is an area of great confusion and I don't see it clearing up anytime soon. I may join the ranks of farmers exploring the option of switching from certified organic to certified naturally grown.
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2007   #29
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, thanks for the information. I don't have a Sandhill catalog so I put my order together from their website, and don't recall seeing anything there (yet) about their organic certification issues.

It must be a real challenge.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2007   #30
Bitwise Gamgee
Tomatovillian™

I have been eagerly awaiting Sand Hill's update to their online catalog. I may go ahead and make an order from the 2006 online catalog. On the “News and Updates” page, it states that ordering from the 2006 online catalog is fine; however, it says the order will be “subject to 2007 availability and pricing”.

My question to those of you with the printed catalog: Have the prices changed? ... I don't want to send too little money.

Also, how different are the lists? ... Are there many new entries for 2007?

Thanks,
Bitwise
Bitwise Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote