Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 18, 2014   #676
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

^^^what he said^^^

definitely no more jiffy mix in my future!
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #677
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I use DE to wintersow and works great for all the veggies i don't want to grow indoors. Just in case anyone is in to wintersowing.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #678
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootLoops View Post
^^^what he said^^^

Ditto!

I used to sow four seeds in the hopes that at least one would germinate, now I sow two knowing they both will.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #679
rockyonekc
Tomatovillian™

How deep is the DE for winter sowing? I did this for the 1st time this year using 4" of potting mix and noticed it is harder to separate the seedlings vs the DE indoors under lights.

Last edited by rockyonekc; April 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
rockyonekc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #680
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Ray I bet when you started this thread you had no idea how it would take off did you?

For me it has been the most helpful thing I have learned on this forum and I have learned a lot of very useful things from the many helpful members of Tomatoville. I now plant seed with little doubt that I will get great germination and will have little or no problem with damping off anymore. After two years and thousands of seed started in UltraSorb I no longer even worry when I start seed about whether I will have enough. Now I always have too many seedlings of everything I start in DE.

Thanks again for posting this great idea.

Bill
I will second that emotion! Barely a learning curve and delivers results, no muss no fuss. It is also the peanut butter to the jelly that is Delerium's no roots grafting method.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #681
MR BILL
Tomatovillian™

Default GREAT STUFF

READ RAYS ARTICLES AND GAVE IT A TRY..STARTED SWEET POTATOES AND NOW HAVE OVER TWENTY FIRST CLASS PLANTS. DOLLAR GENERAL SELLS A BAG OF SEVEN LBS FOR A $1.25. FAMILY DOLLAR ALSO SELLS FOR A $1.25. BOTH ARE GREAT TEXTURE A SSHOE BOX FOR A DOLLAR WITH A LOT OF HOLES PUNCHED IN THE BOTTOM FOR DRAINAGE .. NEXT A PAPER TOWEL TO COVER HOLES .. ABOUT TWO INCHES OF KITTY LITTER FROM DOLLAR GEN,($1.25) UNSCENTED, NATURAL. NEXT A MIX OF JIFFY MIX AND KITTY LITTER TO A BOUT ONE INCH FROM THE TOP. AT THIS POINT I ADD WARM WATER FROM BOTTOM TILL MIXTURE SHOWS MOISTURE I NEXT COVER THE MIX WITH A QUARTER INCH OF JIFFY SEED STARTER. PLANTED FIVE ROWS OF SEEDS (TOMATO ), COVERED WITH A THIN LAYER OF JIFFY MIX SPRINKLE ON TO COVER SEEDS.. I TAMP DOWN THE TOP WITH THE END OF A BLOCK OF WOOD FROM FROM A 2"X4". SPRIZ WITH A DOLLAR SPRAY BOTTLE FROM DOLLAR GENERAL GENTLY DOES IT. WRAP A SHEET OF SARAN WRAP ON TOP AND PUT ON AN OLD HEAT PAD ON LOW SETTING. YOU CAN USE AN OLD SERVING TRAY TO SET SHOE BOX IN.. PLANTED ON APRIL SEVEN TOMATOES ARE NOW ALMOST READY FOR TRANSPLANT IN A DAY OR SO. ALWAYS WATER FROM THE BOTTOM.. IT WICKS UP TO THE ROOTS...GERMINATION OVER 80%.. SEEDS I SAVED FROM A CHERRY TOMATO FROM TWO YEARS WAS ( 25 count ) HAD ALMOST 90 PERCENT.I ALWAYS USE WARM WATER WHEN WATERING, DON"T KNOW IF IT HELPS BUT HEY WHOLE LIKES COLD WATER ON THERE BACK..MY PEPPERS ARE SHOWING SOME LIFE AND WILL SEE HOW THESE WILL WORK WITH MY KITTY LITTER MIX.REMEMBER TO BUY NATURAL UNSCENTED KITTY LITTER FOR USE... HOPE THIS HELPS .MR BILL MILFORD CT..
MR BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #682
MR BILL
Tomatovillian™

Default Dollar general kitty litter

Used this stuff for sweet potatoes.have more slips than i will need.have a lot of tomato plants to give away.. My hybrid tomatoes will be transplanted this week to larger pots.. Hope to try grafting a few plants again. Thanks everyone for the wealth of good advice on this forum. Mr bill milford ct...
MR BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #683
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR BILL View Post
Used this stuff for sweet potatoes.have more slips than i will need.have a lot of tomato plants to give away.. My hybrid tomatoes will be transplanted this week to larger pots.. Hope to try grafting a few plants again. Thanks everyone for the wealth of good advice on this forum. Mr bill milford ct...
Mr. Bill, I'm glad you got lucky with the Dollar General Kitty Litter, but that product is clay, it's not Diatomaceous Earth. No one here has given any advise about clay. Having a few cats I know something about clay kitty litters, I've never even attempted seed starting in the stuff mainly because every one I seen is structurally unstable and turns to mush after awhile besides being extremely heavy.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #684
Randall
Tomatovillian™

DE has been amazing for me. I've sat and lurked on this thread until a few days ago when I started some tomatoes. Due to all of the results in this thread, I already knew what to expect. I feel a little guilty for sitting back and watching the whole thing unfold before jumping in. Thanks to RayR and everyone else for putting in the time and IMHO improving upon seed germination in general. This is no small thing! Kudos to everyone involved!
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #685
creister
Tomatovillian™

When starting seed, do u wet the de and then put the seed in, or do u wet part of th de and put the seed on that, then cover with unwetted de and water from the bottom until everything is wet? I hope this question makes sense.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #686
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

What I do, and ymmv, is I get the DE wet, soak the seed for like an hour in water, then lay the seed on top of the wet DE, and seal it in a ziplock bag till it germinates.
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #687
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My method is to fill the cells, put them in a tray, and bottom water to wet the DE. Then I add the seeds and sprinkle more DE over them.
Old April 20, 2014   #688
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I picked up some ultrasorb at an autozone today. It is noticeably finer than the napa de. I hope I can still use the napa de for something. Did someone say they used it?
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #689
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysan View Post
I picked up some ultrasorb at an autozone today. It is noticeably finer than the napa de. I hope I can still use the napa de for something. Did someone say they used it?

I believe a lot of us are using the Autozone Ultrasorb.
Old April 21, 2014   #690
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Brandywine(Sudduth's) and Brandywine(Cowlick's) in DE. They seem to be doing fine. I've started to feed them Texas Tomato Food and they are moving along nicely:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE Seedlings.jpg (84.2 KB, 129 views)
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote