Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 27, 2009   #1
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Default Moravsky Div vs Bloody Butcher

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in these two varieties? They look and grow identical to me. They even ripened on the same day. They were my first tomatoes to ripen BTW.

thanks
GaryV
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCreekFarms View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in these two varieties? They look and grow identical to me. They even ripened on the same day. They were my first tomatoes to ripen BTW.

thanks
GaryV
Gary, I got seeds for Morasky Div from Andrey and offered seeds here this past Spring in my seed offer. His information says it's a Czech CV from Moravoseed.

I've not grown Bloody Butcher but know it was bred by Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands and released in 1998.

Both varieties are PL and both within the same size range but Bloody Butcher fruits are supposed to be round, as listed by many who list it in the SSE Yearbook, and the Moravsky fruits I had were definitely not round, rather mostly squarish shaped, with just a few that were round.

I think the taste of Moravsky Div is outstanding, at least for me it was compared to many small fruited varieties I've grown.

Kimberly is another PL with fruits in the same size range and was developed by John de Rocque of Kimberly B.C., Canada ,and selected from a cross between Tiny Tim and Siberia.

So perhaps many lookalikes, but maybe not tastealikes.
Old July 27, 2009   #3
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. I did get the M.D. from you through the SSE yearbook. I received the B.B. seed from Sand Hill. Both varieties tasted the same to me, but my taster is not as sensitive as some peoples. Both are seedy so I will have lots of seed of each for anyone that wants to see what they think.
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2009   #4
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Just letting Carolyn know that I love the Moravsky Div - and to thank her again for the seeds. They have a very big tomato taste.

I also really like Pozhar. I only wound up planting one, but it is giving me many, many small to medium size, delicious tomatoes. I will save some seeds from it for next year.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2009   #5
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Hello everybody, I'm new here, but grow tomatoes for 20 years. I learned a lot from this forum and I think you can help me identifying this tomato.
It was bought as Bloody Butcher from Canadian source, but reading this topic I am more and more convinced that this tomato is Moravsky div.
It has large PL, very early (first days of june this year) and a great tomato flavour. One of the best tomatoes i ever tasted, even better than Momotaro, a long time favorit of our family.
So here are pictures:

Last edited by Marko; August 9, 2009 at 06:31 AM.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2009   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Marko, I think what you show is Bloody Butcher.

I first grew Moravsky Div, from Andrey, in 2008, listed it in the 2009 SSE Yearbook, offered seeds for it here at Tville this past Spring and sent seeds to some friends and also to a few commercial places where I do send seeds for trial only this past Spring and none of those places were in Canada.

Anyone who got seeds from me this year would be growing it out this summer for the first time and thus wouldn't have had time for seed production yet to be able to offer it commercially as I see it.

Besides, the shape that you show isn't what Moravsky Div looks like. I describe it as having mostly "squarish" fruits, occasionally a globe shaped fruit, but only 2-3 oz. And while you say it was an early variety for you, I listed it as a 70-80 day variety, as grown in my gardening zone, which doesn't make it an early variety for me, at least.

And yes, I still like it a lot, especially the taste for such a small fruited variety.