Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2021   #16
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

i just pull up a bunch/cell pull 'em apart, and bury them up to cotyledons
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2021   #17
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

So far all tomatoes are up and running except three. Koroleva, King Kong and one of the SOTW's aren't up yet. All the rest popped up on the 25th or 26th, so there's still time but just in case, I have started the old paper towel in a baggie trick for these three "just in case". I don't want to lose much time.

The two SOTW's are from two sources; the original commercially bought seeds and seeds I collected last summer. The 20 collected seeds tested in December had 100% germination.

The Koroleva and King Kong are 2019 seeds from the distributed Carolyn collection so they're not very old.

I know what will happen... the day the seeds in the baggies germinate will be the day the seeds in the pots will pop up.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2021   #18
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Today April 7th is my tomato seed starting day. Been looking forward to it for weeks. So I sowed seeds for 9 varieties this year 5 of which are "new to me" this year and I'm really looking forward to this 2021 season.
The varieties are:
Lucky Cross
Dester
SOTW
Polish
Volovie Ukho
Green Giant
Karkiano
Casey's Pure Yellow
Odoriko

I'll start my Pepper seeds in a week from now.
Best wishes to all for a great growing season in 2021 !

Dan

Last edited by Yak54; April 7, 2021 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2021   #19
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Cold

I set out about 40 plants around May 10 last yr and a few days later it rained all day and got down to low 20s that night. I had covered them with huge clumps of straw but I dont want that again. I have 18 big pinks seeded but will try not to set out till later with a good extended forecast. I have washed frost off many times after May 15 but low 20s is scary.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2021   #20
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

In my N.E. Ohio location I've learned to wait till May 20th or so to put my tomato plants out in the garden to stay. I no longer try to get them out early as I've found it to be an exercise in futility. At least for me.
Old April 7, 2021   #21
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Blight

I'm pulled in two directions. The earlier out the better because of rampant early blight by July. But cold stressed plants are possibly never going to do what they might have done. I try to split the difference by watching the extended forecast and bringing all 72 plants out of the basement by May 7. Planting in same place part of problem but early blight just an unavoidable problem for many in this area. Just starting to get serious about learning about coir, compost and 4-18-38 for containers.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2021   #22
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
I'm pulled in two directions. The earlier out the better because of rampant early blight by July. But cold stressed plants are possibly never going to do what they might have done. I try to split the difference by watching the extended forecast and bringing all 72 plants out of the basement by May 7. Planting in same place part of problem but early blight just an unavoidable problem for many in this area. Just starting to get serious about learning about coir, compost and 4-18-38 for containers.
Yeah I used the same 650 sq. ft. garden area for 30 plus years and it became harder to prevent disease on my tomato plants. About 2015 I developed bacterial canker and knew it was time to investigate containers. I started using grow bags and Pro Mix and had issues with BER and moderate productivity. In my third year I started to closely monitor the moisture level of my grow bags twice a day and also switched to 4-18-38. BER was gone and I had plants that produced more than 70 tomatoes per plant. Now this year I'm going to put one plant in the ground after a 4 yr. layoff to see if my soil born disease issues have improved. If this one plant does well then next season I'll add a few more. So I've learned how to do the grow bag thing but it is "high maintenance" compared to growing "in ground".

Dan
Old April 8, 2021   #23
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't wait any longer and bought 2 Early Girl plants, hardened them off for 5 days and put them in a 30 gal container. I planted them April 2nd and they have both doubled in size. I usually plant around April 20th depending on the 10 day forecast. Our 10 day forecast today shows our lowest temp 40f. So my rush for early tomatoes might just work. If it doesn't, I will just replant. Nothing to loose IMO.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2021   #24
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
So far all tomatoes are up and running except three. Koroleva, King Kong and one of the SOTW's aren't up yet.
The Koroleva and the extra SOTW for a friend sprouted nicely in the paper towels and are up and going. The King Kong never did sprout. Too bad as I was looking forward to seeing it they really were big tomatoes.

As of now we're looking to plant out all the tomatoes on April 26. There will be 23 of them, all different. Lots to do before then with cleaning the buckets and relocating the row of pallets the buckets will sit on. They need more sun but still a little protection from the hottest sun of the day. Also need a run to the compost place for a pickup load of their planting mix to fill the buckets.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2021   #25
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
The Koroleva and the extra SOTW for a friend sprouted nicely in the paper towels and are up and going. The King Kong never did sprout. Too bad as I was looking forward to seeing it they really were big tomatoes.

As of now we're looking to plant out all the tomatoes on April 26. There will be 23 of them, all different. Lots to do before then with cleaning the buckets and relocating the row of pallets the buckets will sit on. They need more sun but still a little protection from the hottest sun of the day. Also need a run to the compost place for a pickup load of their planting mix to fill the buckets.

I'm disappointed your King Kong did not germinate because I have some of those seeds also that I was saving to plant till next year. But I was hoping to get a preview of what they may be like by hearing what your experience is this season. Oh well I guess I'll find out next year that is if mine germinate at that time.
Old April 11, 2021   #26
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Started my seeds on Friday, and hoping all goes well. I’ll start cucumbers in a week or so. I can’t plant out before May 20th. I’ve really cut back so this year is: Rebel Yell, Momotaro OP, Bulgarian Triumph, Northern Lights, Sun Gold, Black cherry and Cherry Bomb.
Good luck to everyone!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote