Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old February 10, 2015   #1
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

Default Healy's Pride Melon, when is it ripe?

Last year I grew Healy's Pride melons for the first time. They look a lot like a muskmelon with netted skin and salmon colored flesh so I expected that they would also slip from the vine when ripe but I assumed wrong. I have searched the internet and found info that says they don't slip from the vine when ripe but nobody has mentioned how to tell when they are ripe. My plant produced 3 melons. I picked 2 of them too early and the third one was eaten by a critter in the garden. Any help would be appreciated as I would really like to try growing them again this year. Thanks for any suggestions.
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #2
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of my youngest son holding a Healy's Pride melon that wasn't quite ripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_82444.JPG (523.9 KB, 73 views)
Old February 11, 2015   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Are you sure it doesn't slip when ripe? That one your son is holding doesn't look ripe, still has green stripes. What about the sniff test?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #4
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

As I mentioned above, I know the melon he is holding isn't ripe. I cut it open and it was a beautiful salmon orange color but it wasn't sweet at all. It did smell good though. I cut it from the vine early because my other melons were getting ripe and the part of the vine that is attached to Healy's Pride melons do not quite look like other melons that I have grown that do slip from the vine. I just sent Baker Creek and email (that is where I ordered the seeds from.) Hopefully they reply. I could be wrong about them not slipping from the vine when ripe. I was just hoping that maybe somebody here had grown it in the past and could help me. I know what you mean about the smell test though. Many times when my cantaloupes are ripe, I can smell them just standing by the garden.

Last edited by Christa B.; February 11, 2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old February 11, 2015   #5
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I hope you figure it out, I bet they are delicious! other than its shape, is it different than a Muskmelon ?t The blossom end ought to give a bit when you push it with your thumb.
Old February 11, 2015   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Healy's Pride - Breeder and vendor: E.J. Healy, St. Francisville, Ill. Parentage: (Banana x Condon's Perfection) Pride of Wisconsin) Pride of Wisconsin. Characteristics: large size, 10-15 pound, oblong shape, not turbinate, medium firm shell, high flesh quality. Similar: Pride of Wisconsin. Adaptation: southern Illinois and Indiana. 1952.

Found that on the web. I'll keep looking
Old February 11, 2015   #7
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

Thank You . The way the blossom end of the melon was attached to the vine, didn't look like other melons that I have grown, that do slip from the vine.

I found this quote on another site "Healy's Pride - Large netted melon. This was my first year growing it, and only one reach maturity before the frost hit (but everything got a late start due to weather this year too), but the one I had tasted really good. This doesn't slip either, and it seems to be at least somewhat difficult to tell when they're ripe."
Old February 11, 2015   #8
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I can't find much else, appears to have pride of Wisconsin as a parent, which makes me think it shouldn't be much different than other muskmelons as far as ripeness. I would assume they would slip until you know for sure otherwise, whoever made that post might have just become impatient.
if you keep this thread alive, it's possible someone who has grown it will chime in eventually.
Old February 11, 2015   #9
gothicgardens
Tomatovillian™

You stated that the blossom end was attached to the vine is wrong. The blossom end is the opposite end of the melon than where it attaches to the vine. I have not grown this melon but believe that it will slip from the vine when ripe and the blossom end should be a little soft.
gothicgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #10
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

From what I read about this melon is that it does not slip when ripe. Not all melon varieties do. Other sign of ripeness are the tendrills near the top of melon will dry up and turn brown, scent, the skin under the netting on the underside will be a soft yellow color, and if you press gently at the top of melon it might be slightly soft and slip. Some melons are just really hard to tell when ripe regardless of one or all of these sighns. It can be a hit and miss.

Cute photo of your son holding the melon..
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #11
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Stvrob for searching the internet for me. That was super nice of you!

Gothic Gardens, You are right and I already knew that. I don't know why I typed blossom end. Where the vine connects to the melon does definitely have a different look than other muskmelon varieties I have grown. It was something that I noticed when they were growing. Then I started wondering if they even sliped from the vine at all.

Barefootgardener, Thanks for the advice! I grow Watermelons and of course always check the tendril to help tell if they are ripe...I don't know why I didn't consider doing the same for other melon types! I will also definitely be checking for the other signs you listed.

I guess I will see this summer! I will grow them again and post a follow up on this thread then and probably some pictures. Thank you all for your advice.

Last edited by Christa B.; February 11, 2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling, punctuation
Old February 12, 2015   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

What was the weather like the two weeks prior to harvesting? Too much rain and melons (that are ripe) at times will not be sweet. I've never trialed Healy's, but one thing you may look for is a slight color change, from a greenish to maybe more of a lighter green to tan/yellow.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #13
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

I really don't remember but we did get a lot of rain last growing season. My tomatoes didn't taste as good as they usually do either. Watermelons were great though. Thanks for the suggestions.