Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 18, 2012   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default blotchy ripening

any quick tips to get my tomatoes ripening evenly? parts of the tomato are fully ripened while other parts and green and hard.
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightenUp View Post
any quick tips to get my tomatoes ripening evenly? parts of the tomato are fully ripened while other parts and green and hard.
There is a tomato syndrome that is called Blotchy Ripening and here's a general Google search about that. In my tomato pathology book there are pictures of it but I'm sure some of those links in the link below will also have pictures.

Just noting that there is no one cause for it. And I think the Cornell link is one to start with although there are other links there that probably are good as well. To be honest I didn't check all the various links for content and explanations.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...iw=757&bih=403
Old July 18, 2012   #3
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

thanks

i've seen all the links and done the google searches. i guess i was looking for anyone with experience with this and how they recovered.

i'm waiting on my soil test to come back from the lab but in the meantime im researching and this post is part of the research. so anyone with experience please chime in
Old July 20, 2012   #4
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Potassium deficiency I reckon.
gourmetgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetgardener View Post
Potassium deficiency I reckon.
That was my conclusion. I had weak ferts and supplemented up front to get fruit set going and, I was somewhat successful. It didnt occur to me to keep supplementing because the TomatoTone, which I used has a K, I think of 10 so I thought it would kick in. Apparently not. Blotchy fruit with hard, white corky portions in the interior and no taste!

After some online research, I ordered a ripening blend from an online company. It is water soluable so I was able to use it in my EBS. The later fruits are much better. Either the ripening blend or the Tomato Tone did, eventually kick in. But I would certainly look to supplement K (Potassium)
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

thanks. i'm waiting for a soil sample to come back from rutgers before i pull the trigger on a product. i have a feeling the PH is off.
Old July 21, 2012   #7
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

was hoping for the results today but didnt get them. went ahead and applied some 1-0-6 molasses based ferts and watered in with a small dose of azomite.
Old July 23, 2012   #8
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

If your pH is below 6, you can start running into problems. Personally, I would use potassium nitrate early in the growing season, and Monopotassium phosphate later in the season.
gourmetgardener is offline   Reply With Quote