Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2012   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

There shouldn't be two tomatoes with that name...my only source for Isis is you. I didn't get it from TGSC until a few years ago when I needed fresh seed. As with many heirlooms, I suspect the name got added to or subtracted from. You do remind me that one year I grew Isis (or Isis Candy Cherry) and got a medium sized pale yellow, nearly white. My suspicion at that time is that Joe B never got the variety completely stable (it is one he created, if I recall correctly).

If over the years Marianne Jones got it from me (prob. via SSE offering), seems she got a segregate as well.

What a mess the names of so many heirlooms are!
Old July 22, 2012   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well I finally moved Isis outdoors around midsummer, and the improvement in the plants' condition is remarkable. The old sickly foliage rapidly got worse in the first few days, and then she put on lots of tough dark green healthy new leaves and shoots. The plants are now in full flower and have set first fruit.

On this experience I would have to say that Isis Candy is very intolerant of humid conditions as in my greenhouse, and better adapted to withstand windy and fairly dry conditions.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #18
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I grew Isis Candy from 2005 seeds generously shared by a member of this Forum (30% germination), and the seedlings went into the ground 2 weeks ago for our second season. They do seem small and fragile compared to others. I don't know if it is a result of old seeds or just lack of general robustness. They are putting on new growth now, but several days slower than others.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #19
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

It's been a few years, but I tried growing Isis Candy twice and had no luck with it; I did get a few fruit but overall the plants were not robust.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2012   #20
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

My Isis Candy plant is going great! I have a ton of fruit and have picked a small handful of ripe ones. In the beginning the plant was small and weak in appearance and for some time I thought it would never produce fruit. It was so far behind the Black Cherry and Sungold and then it exploded with fruit out of nowhere. It's leaning over the cage today. I do not know the seed source because it was one of the few plants I purchased from the local nursery. Maybe the plant likes dry hot conditions because that's what the weather's been here in Jersey.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote