Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 13, 2006   #1
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Default Varieties for a hanging basket

Anyone have any experience with this? I've seen a few varieties for hanging baskets but i have no experience with them. I have very limited space (no yard, just a patio), so i like the idea of hanging baskets to maximize what space i have. :wink:
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #2
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default No Experience But...

I have to say I've read a lot about hanging basket tomatoes but never bothered with them. However, such is the tangle of branches and incredible fruit set of Kimberly that I would say this tomato would suit this role to a tee.

I can imagine the potato leaf branches hanging down with golf-ball sized maters. In fact, hmmm, this could be a novel idea next season. I think the challenge would be keeping water up to the plant. I know I would have to line the basket and use a dripper system.

Another option worth considering is Sophies Choice, a determinate that has thrown out some branches with hanging fruits for me Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tumbler is a variety that is good for hanging baskets. Tomato Growers has the hybrid version, and there is an op one out there also-I got the op one from Bill Minkey.
Old February 13, 2006   #4
NCTIM
Tomatovillian™

I tried tumbler last year in a hanging basket. My success was limited I believe by using a small basket. I recycled a standard green hanging basket and it was just not large enough to support the watering demands here in N.C.

I am inclined to think, that while they may be the just right varieity for hanging baskets, the basket size is more important.

Get a big basket, keep it watered and fertilized. You'll most likely be satisfied with your results.

Tim
Old February 13, 2006   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Growers lists several varieties in their Small Fruited section that might fit the bill. They have one called Florida Basket, and Tumbler, which was mentioned before, plus a few others that seem ideal for patios. I grew one called Small Fry several years ago that would be too tall for a hanging basket but did fine in a 12 inch pot. Check out www.tomatogrowers.com.
Old February 13, 2006   #6
cthomato
Tomatovillian™

I grew TGS's Tumbler in a medium "self-watering" basket. I got 100s of toms. Unfortunately, the taste was bland and watery for most of the season. Taste did improve as the weather got warmer. If I had no other option, I'd grow it again.

I tried Micro-Tom in a shallow pot with herbs too. It produced pea-size toms that were actually somewhat tasty. Unfortunately, the herbs took over the bowl and MT could not keep up. I'll probably try it again, eventually.
cthomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2006   #7
Mom2WildBoys
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Tumber two years in a row, in hanging baskets. The first year, I used those moss-lined baskets, and didn't water enough (the soil routinely dried out, vines wilted, etcetera). They lived, though the vines looked half dead, and the fruit tasted great! The second year, I used self-watering hanging planters (from Johnny's, I think). They were much easier to keep watered, but the flavor suffered. I started letting them dry out more, rather than keeping that resevoir full, and the flavor improved a bit. Tumbler is a determinate--after the first flush of tomatoes, it kept producing in smaller amounts, then put on a second flush toward the end of summer. I'll grow them again. Hope this helps!
Mom2WildBoys is offline   Reply With Quote