Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 5, 2017   #1
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Default Bolting shallot.

My French Red shallots are a good size, but most bolted. I cut off the flowers as soon as I saw them, and have been harvesting a few each week. The talk from the flowers does not seem to dying down. Should I keep waiting or try to remove the stalk at the root?

They didn't push out of the soil as much as they usually do. Maybe I planted too deep. On the other hand, they are my largest size I've grown, and with no sign of the back mold (?) I often get.

I'd like them to store as well as possible.

The pictures are of some I harvested more than a week ago (I don't recall if the had green stalks), some from last week, and some still in my Earthboxe.

In the last picture; See the shallot at about 12 o'clock high? Thoughts about pulling off the bolted green at the base near the roots?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170704_192718021.jpg (270.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170704_192740892.jpg (276.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170704_192802441_HDR.jpg (262.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170705_195236435.jpg (419.2 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 6, 2017 at 01:14 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have some that have done that for the last three years. The first year I cut off the flower stalks as soon as they emerged and I did the same this year. I did let them die back completely before harvesting and they stored reasonably well, but not as long as others that did not flower.

Last year I left one flower on and harvested seeds which I germinated and planted this year. They are at least several weeks away from harvesting, but the tops are much smaller than the original shallots.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #3
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

A pretty good link.

https://www.thespruce.com/growing-sh...garden-1403464

Thank you for your response! Where exactly did you cut the flower stalk? Just the flower, at the soil, or somewhere in between?

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 6, 2017 at 12:27 AM. Reason: A pretty good link.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I cut the flower heads off as soon as they emerged, but the stalks continued growing for a while.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote