Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2007   #1
TJS
Tomatovillian™

Default Dr. Carolyn Cherry

Has anyone tried Dr Carolyns Cherry? I went to the SC tomato tasting yesterday and tried it and it is a very sweet tomato, great flavor!
Tim
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
Has anyone tried Dr Carolyns Cherry? I went to the SC tomato tasting yesterday and tried it and it is a very sweet tomato, great flavor!
Tim
Tim, Cherry is not part of the name, it's just Dr. Carolyn.

I could give you a lot of detail on this one for it was named for me but not by me, but suffice it to say that it is a descendent of Galina which is a wonderful PL deep gold cherry from Siberia and Dr. Carolyn ( the tomato, ) appeared in my garden from saved seeds from Galina.

Obviously I've grown it a lot, so I'll let others share with you what they think of it. There's also a pink version called Dr. Carolyn Pink, seeds sent to me by Robert Martin, a fellow SSE member.
Old July 22, 2007   #3
TJS
Tomatovillian™

Well Carolyn, you have one fine tomato named after you!
The tomato was nearly translucent yellow about 1 inch around. I liked it so much it will be the first one I'm going to try to save seed from.They are fermenting right now I just hope the grow out true.
Tim
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2007   #4
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

I too liked that one quite a bit. It was very sweet, on the verge of being too sweet, but not quite. I think the ones I tried were even sweeter than my SunGolds tend to be. Very tasty! It was one of my favorites from the tasting. I also liked the Noir de Crimee and Aunt Gertie's Gold varieties quite a bit. There was a South American tiny cherry, (possibly a currant tomato, I can't remember), that was very bitter. I had to go back and sample a few more of the Dr. Carolyn tomatoes to get rid of the taste.
Old July 23, 2007   #5
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

I too like Dr. Carolyn. A warm yellow color, about 1 inch around in size. I always say my first bite tasted a bit like ripe pineapple and assertive tomato flavor. I really liked it. Needs to be grown in a great sunny spot and it will be hard to kill. In the fall it took several light frosts and did not die. Of course, the taste will suffer by that time. C'est la vie. I let the plants run and they got quite big. These may be the biggest tomato plants I have ever grown in my garden. You will harvest lots of tomatoes. The most prolific cherry I have ever grown, more so than Sweet 100, Black Cherry or Sun Gold, or any other cherry I have tried.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2007   #6
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

One of my very favorites - I have nine growing this summer!
No one has mentioned the mild, smokey after taste - may be that
is only here, but it just adds to the joy. The nine are doing
pretty well, drought tolerant, but as most toms this year, lots
of spider mites. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2007   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

No one has mentioned the mild, smokey after taste

Well that's a new one on me.

I and many others have been growing it since the early 90's and that's the first time I've ever seen anyone refer to a smokey taste.

If that's a good smokey taste for you then I'm happy for your smokey taste.
Old July 25, 2007   #8
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

I had always heard that the black tomatoes had a smokey taste, but mine never did. They were very good, but no smokiness. I just thought it was people being overly imaginative. Then I tried one of the exact same black varieties at a Tasting, and surprise, it had a very strong smokey taste to me. So I think something environmental brings out that smokey flavor in some tomatoes. Just my 2 cents worth from my own observations.
Old July 26, 2007   #9
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Holly, I had a story to tell on the Wild South American Cherry at the Tomato tasting. The Seed was given to Bill Best at the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture center in Berea Ky. A friend or former student doing work in South America sent Bill seeds last summer. It was growing wild along a road. He germinated the seed, which took nearly a month to germinate, then gave me and several others a plant to grow out at the Oct annual get together of the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy. Bill hosts this annual conference and Bill is Known as the Kentucky Tomato man. I kept the plant in the green house all winter then planted it in a whisky barrel in March. It has been loaded and the first one I tried brought a smile, it was nice and sweet, but after a few seconds there was a very bitter after taste. The after taste seems to come from the skin. If just squeeze the tomato in the mouth and discard the skin it is very good. But I will have to tell bill it is not a keeper. Holly send me an e-mail with your friends names They came last year but I am terrible about names and need to contact them and thank them for coming again this year.. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote