Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 25, 2007   #1
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default parents of Momotaro???

I am growing Momotaro hybrid for the first time this year & like it's flavor, productivity & near-perfect fruit. I cannot help but notice that it's fruit somewhat reminds me of Eva Purple Ball. Just wondering if anybody has noticed a similarity or would care to comment and I'm sure the exact parentage will never be made public by it's developer.

LarryD
Old August 26, 2007   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

M is an Japanese hybrid. I will pm Jeff so he can give you any info he can. His wife is Japanese and he knows mucho about it.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2007   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I thought is very good.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2007   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I enjoyed it last season as well. Not the very best taste, about aq 7/10, but productive and hassle-free. Best of all, as someone said before, a nice firm one that keeps well. For me, when my wife was in the hospital giving birth, this was a godsend Seems a long time ago now...

And old post:

I'm taking your advice, Keith. I'm going to be at home as long as possible.

Hey, I could name one of the Sneezy F2s Summer Gold.

A different benchtop today. Lol.

From left to right: two Paul Robeson, three Momotaro, one Anna Banana Russain and a Gregori's Altai.
[url=http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/photos/d/1896-1/2_Baby+tomatoes.jpg]

Momotaro is a good firm sweet-tasting traveller that I managed to slice with the basic knife in the communal tearoom in the maternity ward. I bought a baguette on the way from home, at a patisserie, and some S&P in some plastic wrap. Voila! Lunch.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2007   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena View Post
M is an Japanese hybrid. I will pm Jeff so he can give you any info he can. His wife is Japanese and he knows mucho about it.
And he's posted about it before in terms of translating the name and where the name came from.

But believe you me he does not know the parental inputs of any hybrids bred by Sakata or Takita, who are world leaders in veggie and flower breeding.

Proprietary hybrid info is guarded closely b'c tomato breeding is a fiecely competetive industry.
Old August 26, 2007   #6
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Parents of Momotarou....I wish I knew so I could make my own version.:lol
There was an interview in a Takii monthly vegetable magazine with the creator of it. If I have some time in the fall I will post a little more detailed response.
One of the parents in the background of Momotarou on the male side (grandparent/great-grandparent???) is Florida MH-1. I have never heard of this variety until I came across it in this article. Anyone else know of this variety?
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote