Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 21, 2006   #1
Teacher_Mike
Tomatovillian™

Default New Cross...Save Seeds?

Ok, folks, here is what I have...

Some sort of yellow-gold, inch-ish long grape-shaped cherry tomato on a RL multiflora plant.

This little latecomer was a volunteer between the corn and the fence. My BIL (the owner and chief gardener) weed-whacked it a few times (what was growing through the fence) before we realized it wasn't a weed. Lo and behold, this is what we got. Now, the history...
The area where this came up is the same area where my cherries, yellows, and oranges were planted last year. I grew Galinas and Sungold, among others, as well as what was supposed to be Rose Quartz Multiflora, but wasn't. What I got was not multiflora, nor particularly notable. (See the thread about that here...
http://tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?t=1370&highlight=)
I was never certain if RQM was unstable or crossed...I had true RQM from another seedling at my parents house last year. That plant was multiflora, and the shape of the cherries was similar to these, but smaller. (They were also very good!) I did not grow any other multiflora plants in this garden last year. I have no way of knowing (obviously) if my non RQM was actually an example of instability that reatined the shape and multiflora traits, which then mixed with...

As for yellows and oranges, I had the usual suspects...AGG, Lillian'sY.H., Kellogg's B., Earl of Edgecombe, Azoychka, & Orange Strawberry.

Now - the other part of this...this cherry is OK - not great, but not a spitter. The only reason I'd save seeds is for the unusual shape and the multiflora trait, in the hopes that we'd get to select for those traits AND find the missing flavor.

So - is it worth it? Any thoughts? Ideas?
Teacher_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

"Cyme:" A botanical term for a class of flower clusters
(see inflorescence) characterized by the terminal flower
in the cluster blooming first.

That decribes what I saw in one Juane Flammee
that I apparently mistook for "multifloral."

In fact, the pictures above remind me of it.

Here, I guess, is another example of "branched cyme:"

EXCEPT that, the terminal flowers did not bloom first.

Is there term other than "cyme" for that?

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

"And if I ever get a picture of you ...
it will be Papa's got a brand new avatar!" [Keith]

Okay, okay ... so how do I change my avatar?
Show me and consider it done.

Papa
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #4
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

If it were me, I would save seed.. but that's me. The idea of seeing something new is always worth trying.

..but that's me

- Eric
Old August 22, 2006   #5
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

I think the questions you should be asking yourself are as follows. How many projects do you have going now? What is your interest level?

If you don't have many or any projects going on and your interest level is high then you probably would want to save seeds. If you have a lot of projects and your interest level is low then probably not.

Personally I have a lot of projects going on just now and my interest level wouldn't be that high. So, I probably wouldn't bother. Or, I would save the seeds saying that I would get around to it one day and would probably never get around to it.

OBTW the assumption is that this is an F1. F2 is where things start get interesting. You never know what you might find.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2006   #6
Teacher_Mike
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input, guys. The jury is still out here. I'll probably save seeds and then decide later what to do with them, if anything at all.

Thanks for the clarification on the multiflora-ness, too. I recognized that it was not multiflora like, say, Riesentraube, but it was not an ordinary cherry truss, either. Many more blossoms and in a haphazard arrangement.
Teacher_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote