Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2015   #31
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

As for GWR slicers, the ones that I recall growing are ARGG, Dwarf Beryl Beauty, and Grub's Mystery (I think?), in addition to Green Zebra and a few cherries.

My hand's down favorite is ARGG, but its production is somewhat inconsistent for me in humid 7b. I absolutely love the flavor, so I always grow it, despite the inconsistencies.

Carolyn had recommended Delano Green Ripe in another thread, and I still look forward to giving it a try. Hopefully next year.

I also have an exciting cross between ARGG and a compact determinate/semi-determinate, heavy producing large green "cherry" that I hope shows some promise. It looks good so far with a lot of 3-4 oz tomatoes on each F1 plant, but it is still too soon to tell if I can recover the flavor and some size in subsequent generations.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #32
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I grew Cherokee Lime, (seeds from Amideutch, many thanks) and it was truly outstanding. I passed along fresh seed to many here. It is my new favorite. 2 tie for second place, Aunt Ruby's GG, and Esmeralda Golosina, a PL gwr small saladette, very prolific and just delicious. Any of these 3 would make a person quite happy.
-I am in a minority in not caring for Malachite Box that much, texture was too soft in my garden.
- Absinthe and Emerald were above average for me, but not memorable.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Pictures of that M-Box plant after I pulled it up this morning. I got 4 large tomatoes that are near ripe. In the pictures, it looks like the lower stems are brown. That is our soil splashed up on them. I washed it off and they a green. I cut open a lower branch and the liquid inside is clear. It has all kinds of bumps on it wanting to grow new roots. Had I known it was going to rain almost every day in May, I would have planted them without support so they could sprawl and set new roots. Oh, no gopher tunnel under it and the soil was perfect consistency = not too wet or dry.

Any thoughts about what may have happened?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0050.JPG (74.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0051.JPG (59.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0052.JPG (73.2 KB, 118 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #34
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

ALittleSalt, off topic but I love your name ! My brown-eyed white pet rabbit is named Salt. He's the love of my life.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Deborah Thank you
Old June 7, 2015   #36
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I think it got a pretty bad case of fungus from all that rain. Probably could have sprayed it with the copper fungicide very very thoroughly, cut off the diseased leaves and bagged them, and fixed the fungus problem. Maybe not though if it already spread to the main vascular system.

Last edited by ginger2778; June 7, 2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Typos needed fixing
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #37
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

You're welcome. That's what he really is-a little Salt ! LOL !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #38
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

If you stretch the definition of Green When Ripe to include green/pink bicolor tomatoes -- Captain Lucky is my favorite.

It has classic GWR flavor, with better picking cues (red appears at the blossom end, and determining picking time easier.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #39
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This is the only current source I could find for Captain Lucky seeds
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #40
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Worth, Is Green Giant the GWR you're trying to think of?
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #41
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Marsha, that plant is about to be on it's way to our burning barrel that's around 250' away from our gardens. I think you are right.

Wow, Fred, I'm glad I have some Captain Lucky seeds.

Deborah, so is my mustache - a little salt - a little pepper - lol
Old June 7, 2015   #42
Catherine+twin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Is Bosque the name of a breeder? I have Bosque Blue Bumble Bee. Tatiana's site says it originated with J&L Gardens seed company.
A bosque is the cottonwood and willow forest along a river, any river, in the southwest. J&L Gardens is in Espanola, New Mexico (USA), a 300+ year-old Spanish-established village (now large town town) along the Rio Grand in northern NM. At 5590 ft (1705 m) above sea level in a high valley in the southern Rocky Mountains, it has cool nights and hot days in the summer, and a season similar to Denver or Colorado Springs.

http://www.jandlgardens.com

So, I said all that to say this: No, Bosque isn't the breeder's name, but it is the brand, so to speak.

Catherine (in northern NM at 7200 ft/2195 m)
Catherine+twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #43
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I heartily second Worth's praise of Lime Green Salad. Here's a photo. It's a tough little plant that will grow in a pot or the ground and I love the sprays of blossoms that it gets! I also like that they change color when they're ripe. They get an amber cast which makes it so much easier! I'm not growing it this year. I just gave myself a dope slap.

Salt, did you get to taste a Malachite Box? I hope so, they are a favorite around here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LimeGreenSalad.jpg (307.2 KB, 105 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #44
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Robin, I have 4 large ones that are near ripe. I figure a day or two more.
Old June 7, 2015   #45
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

I love the sprays of blossoms on Lime Green salad too. They prompted me to get my camera out.

I also grew Grub's Mystery Green, Malakhitovaya Shkatulka, Absinthe and Dwarf Summertime Green. Absinthe plants were my healthiest, coping the best with up to 40C temperatures. MS didn't fare so will in the heat, but tried its best to please me in the Autumn after the temperature settled down. I will give it another chance this season because the tomatoes were so delicious.

And Summertime Green was my favourite dwarf, of which I grew 12 varieties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7072.jpg (154.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7076.JPG (229.1 KB, 97 views)
a sunny day is offline   Reply With Quote