Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2015   #31
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

What happened to the original that they had to come up with a replica ?
Hmmmm

All the record tomato pictures that I have seen before have been fused cat faced.
The resin tomato was created by Miracle Grow as a an aesthetically pleasing visual aid so Gordan could give talks at garden centers concerning what he did in order to win the world record. He toured the U.S. and Canada for over a year with the resin model. His world record tomato was mishapen as is all very heavy tomatoes due to their origin being a very large fused bloom.

And now you know.
Old April 12, 2015   #32
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Hazel Mae blooms

Here is Hazel Mae... It's a big bloom but is it a superbloom?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (157.7 KB, 195 views)
Old April 12, 2015   #33
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Yes that's a mega bloom. If you look you can see approx. six blooms fused together.

Fantastic looking mega bloom you have!!
Old April 12, 2015   #34
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

You got the "true" expert opinion. Looks good to me.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #35
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys! I do have a couple more on different plants. Now that I know what I'm looking for, it makes it a bit more exciting!
Old April 17, 2015   #36
tedln

I always thought Big Zac was a hybrid variety, but some folks are sharing seed from some large Big Zac tomatoes. What gives? Is Big Zac a hybrid variety or has it been stabilized?

Thanks

Ted
Old April 18, 2015   #37
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

It's been stabilized for a very long time. It was developed in the mid nineties by Minnie Zaccaria.
I am assisting Dr.Marv Meisner in testing a brand new strain that she has created called Zaczilla.
I'm excited as to what weights this cross can possibly achieve.

The seeds from my 4.46 LB Big Zac from 2013 has gone on to produce some 5.00 plus pound examples last season by a grower I shared seeds with.

Last edited by PA_Julia; April 18, 2015 at 07:32 AM.
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #38
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Are there environmental conditions that cause the formation of fused blossoms?

I finally got a double on my Big Zac's, and possibly have a larger fused bloom, it's still unopened though.
Terhune is kicking out several 3-4 fused blossoms, Delicious has a triple, and I got a megabloom off of a Dixiewine, which looks to be 5-6 blossoms fused together.
We will know more soon.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #39
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Are there environmental conditions that cause the formation of fused blossoms?

I finally got a double on my Big Zac's, and possibly have a larger fused bloom, it's still unopened though.
Terhune is kicking out several 3-4 fused blossoms, Delicious has a triple, and I got a megabloom off of a Dixiewine, which looks to be 5-6 blossoms fused together.
We will know more soon.

Excellent!!! I'm very curious and excited about Dixiewine. Please keep me posted on everything Mark. Concerning environmental conditions causing mega blooms to form. It's environmental conditions that play a very important part in creating the optimal conditions necessary for a tomato plant to thrive. As it concerns being directly responsible for the creation of megablooms, no it wouldn't.

Last edited by PA_Julia; April 18, 2015 at 05:04 PM.
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #40
charley
Tomatovillian™

Default bloom

is this just 2 or more blooms cherokee purple.and how do you tell how many blooms is in it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20150419_122645_159.jpg (56.2 KB, 134 views)
Old April 19, 2015   #41
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Megablooms are a mega waste of mega time, if one assumes a finite amount of energy produced by a plant. A gigantic misshapen woody tomato that doesn't ripen properly is only of value to someone who wants gigantic misshapen woody tomatoes that don't ripen properly, which I assume is only those who are trying to break records. I pull them off unless a moment of weakness and curiosity convinces me that maybe one will make a half-decent tomato.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #42
tedln

I actually enjoy reading about the adventures and misadventures of people like Julia who choose to garden and grow tomatoes for different purposes than I choose to garden and grow tomatoes. Keep up the good work Julia and others who are growing for size only. If I had some mega blooms to send you, I would.

Ted
Old April 20, 2015   #43
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Ted, thank you for such nice words my friend.

My tomato lineup not only includes giants but also heirlooms of various types.

This season I have 28 plants for giants and 20 plants that are heirlooms and other OP varieties.

Concerning uneven ripening of tomatoes that grew from mega blooms; I have never had that issue simply because when the tomato flashes the slightest color, I pick it then place it in a refrigerator I use specifically for holding giants.

The refrigeration of such at approx 55 F retards the ripening process. The giants I grow are not eaten but used for seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I actually enjoy reading about the adventures and misadventures of people like Julia who choose to garden and grow tomatoes for different purposes than I choose to garden and grow tomatoes. Keep up the good work Julia and others who are growing for size only. If I had some mega blooms to send you, I would.

Ted
Old April 20, 2015   #44
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
is this just 2 or more blooms cherokee purple.and how do you tell how many blooms is in it

When one grows for size you become adapt at reading a fused bloom.

Since this bloom is not fully opened you cannot tell for sure but it appears to me to be four fused blooms.

Once the fused bloom is opened you can usually see the number of pistils present. Count those for a fairly accurate determination of size.
Old April 20, 2015   #45
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Default MEGABLOOMS!

Thank you for this thread I have truly enjoyed it and am reading it again and again. Mega blooms and big tomatoes are interesting. I would caution some people that there is too much of a good thing you can overdo the fertilizer and fungicides then the plant will not be able to absorb nutrients. I love the pictures and your directions for making humongous tomatoes. I do not have the room to grow a big tomato, so will live vicariously through this thread.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote