Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 17, 2015   #1
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Default So, newb question here...

During the cool spring, that plants appeared to be happy and flowering with a bit of fruit set.
-
Now in the 90+ degree heat, I can tell they don't want to flower anymore. The florets that were just starting are terminating and I'm seeing some blossom drop. So it appears I'll have a smaller harvest than I was hoping for...but a large helping of education in the process. So not too disappointed I guess.
-
The question is, will the cycle start again in fall? As temps drop and stabilize here in Southern California around October to the 80s during the day...Will the flowering and fruit set start again? Is another flush possible in the fall? Or will the plants be spent after the summer crushes them?
-
Next year, starting a month and a half sooner in the garage and with the watering challenges of fabric pots, may entertain Earthboxes next season.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaida View Post
During the cool spring, that plants appeared to be happy and flowering with a bit of fruit set.
-
Now in the 90+ degree heat, I can tell they don't want to flower anymore. The florets that were just starting are terminating and I'm seeing some blossom drop. So it appears I'll have a smaller harvest than I was hoping for...but a large helping of education in the process. So not too disappointed I guess.
-
The question is, will the cycle start again in fall? As temps drop and stabilize here in Southern California around October to the 80s during the day...Will the flowering and fruit set start again? Is another flush possible in the fall? Or will the plants be spent after the summer crushes them?
-
Next year, starting a month and a half sooner in the garage and with the watering challenges of fabric pots, may entertain Earthboxes next season.
I think I just answered your questions in another thread here, but if not, here we go.

Yes, in your area plants are put out early so they can set fruit before the temps get too high and those fruits will ripen up OK, but when temps become sustained over about 85 PLus in the daytime or above 70 F at night then blossom drop occurs and the plants go essentially dormant with those temps, just keep them alive by watering when needed.

And then in the Fall when temps go down, yes, they will start putting out new blossoms, etc.

I'm now remembering it was someone asking about topping plants who asked the same questions, and I thought it was you, but it may have been someone else.

Actually there are quite a few in such hot areas that grow two sets of tomatoes each year, a Spring crop and a fall crop, usually indet and mid season ones as Linda Sapp at TGS suggests for the Spring crop, and then midseason and determinate ones for the Fall planting, by either starting the Fall ones from seed or buying plants since many nurseries in S CA offer plants for the Fall crop,

Carolyn
Old June 17, 2015   #3
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, 98 at the moment...The ones I started from seed may only yield a couple of fruit at this point. The clones may yield around 10 or so per plant. I think I'm putting up the 75% shade cloth this weekend. This is going to be a tuff summer...but hopefully a rewarding fall.
Old June 17, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You guys rarely get any kind of cold weather do you.
If I were you I would be starting seeds way early.
If it weren't for the occasional cold snap here I would start in November instead of December.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #5
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

We had a freeze in January...Got down to 25. But that was just one day. Enough to kill my Honeysuckle though. We'll hold in the low 30s for a few weeks but that's about it. I think I'll get a head-start in my garage next season around February? Looking at my plants, the 2 1/2 month head start would have made a huge difference.
Old June 17, 2015   #6
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Kikaida - do you have any plant nurseries or other growers around you at all? They are often a good source of info on when to start your plants - especially the nurseries. Another good source of info are any of the regular growers at a Farmer's Market. They love to talk to new gardeners and are more than willing to provide you with tips and starting and plant out date info and you could be talking to them now in prep for next year. Just make sure to find the ones selling their own produce as opposed to trucked in produce.

And, for what it is worth, many of us envy you your long, 2-fold growing season.

Dave
Old June 18, 2015   #7
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Dave, good advice! By the looks of things, my plants are going to be 12 feet tall by fall!