Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2015   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Slurry your fertilizer....

I am sure somebody has tried this before....I have been taking granular ferts (like Tomato Tone) and putting about a half cup into a quart of water. I let it sit for a day or two. Then I shake it up, pour the slurry around my plants and water them in. So far the results have been good. It seems to me the advantage is: I get the product down to the root zone quicker and in a formula that is more readily available to the plant. It is just my little experiment...nothing scientific or anything. Have you tried this? Ideas?
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #2
daninpd
Tomatovillian™

I used to do that with a 55 gal drum and water and scoops of the bedding from my neighbor's chickens. We called it "tea". You had to stay upwind of it, but it was great in the garden in small doses (too much was too hot). So "Tomato Tone Tea" should work just fine.
Old June 10, 2015   #3
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

The only problem that I have experienced with similar techniques is mold around the plant base, especially when the humidity is up...which in GA is most of the time during growing season. I can't say that the mold caused any direct problems, but I would rather not have it there if possible.

I'm guessing that the mold wouldn't be present for all ferts, but that is my experience with the slurry.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #4
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Another potential negative would be too quick of a blast of nutes versus a slower, steady release as it dissolves. But I've never tried it and could be completely wrong...wouldn't be the first time.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #5
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I think you all make some really good points. I do worry especially about a "blast" of nutrients that would be too strong. Of course I am careful to not use anything too high in N. I will pay attention to the "slurry" not dissolving and creating a problem with mold. Here in Somis we are really blessed with great weather.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I used to do that in a 5 gall. bucket. Then I would just take a pint or so (at a time) add it to watering can. The reason was (in my mind) to get a mild quick action rather than waiting for the granulars become available to the plants. When the bucket got empty, I would spread the residue around the plants ..make a fresh batch.. never noticed any mold. I was then also in GA (N. Atlanta)

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote