Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 17, 2017   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

It's no joke that people died horribly in the good ol days.
My parents grew up in small rural communities and in those days, spent their childhood watching other children being buried of one disease or another.
When we were kids, there were vaccines, and you better believe we had em all. There was no question that it was worthwhile, and much safer than doing without! Our folks were very serious about that.
In my family we also had a whole slew of extra vaccines before we moved to South America. I remember it was not pleasant - I hate needles, and besides my arm got sore and also had sniffles or not feeling well after some of them. But still, it was better than having Yellow Fever or something. If I had to travel now, I would for sure get any vaccines recommended for the place I was going.
The purpose of vaccines was pretty well imprinted on me, and I was happy for my son to have them when he came along, including some new ones that spared a few 'childhood diseases' which I didn't enjoy having.
But now his generation are having children, and suddenly there are concerns about vaccines that I find hard to understand. I don't remember anybody getting autism or really anything more than a sore arm maybe sniffles.

I'm definitely not an advocate for big pharma, I don't use chemical drugs of any kind, and won't unless it was a last resort. I think the flu vaccine is a bit of a scam, they don't really do a good job of it and they're certainly making a bundle on 'protection' that doesn't really cut it.

But the other vaccines are an important basic medicine IMO, and I'm glad I had them.
I hope whatever proof of safety people feel is necessary, that they do provide it, and make it less of an issue for the next generation of children.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #17
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Once you see the disease, you will gladly get the vaccine. I worked at University of Maryland Shock Trauma while I was in undergrad. Shock Trauma had a hyperbaric chamber in the basement where they tried to treat tetanus.

Horrible! The whole body can spasm - muscles contracting so hard that bones fracture. No thanks!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I just checked into this some more and I think it is disgusting that you cannot even get a plain Tetanus booster in Canada. You are forced to get a Tetanus, Diphtheria and Whooping Cough combo. No thanks.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

That is wierd, Linda!
That package is for kids, obviously.
I also wondered, in all my adult life, how come no doctor ever recommended the tetanus booster? Seems to me they ignore it.. ?? I always thought the kid shots were good for life.
My farm friend told me last year she'd had a tetanus booster. I suppose she had to go say "I am a farmer. I work with manure and sharp implements. Boost me."
But she didn't mention the bonus on childhood diseases.
Old April 17, 2017   #20
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

In the U.S. at least, it is recommended that adults receive Tdap booster every ten years.

We had a surge in whooping cough cases in my area a couple of years ago, and I was glad my husband and I stay up to date with our booster shots. We are both frequently exposed to various illnesses at work. My building houses an elementary school, and we all share the same bathrooms. He's in and out of people's homes where it's common that someone is/was recently sick.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
http://holisticsquid.com/when-to-get-a-tetanus-shot/

It seems that many health care professionals are promoting tetanus shots right now. Perhaps they didn't read the above link.....

Linda
Holistic squid? I am a critical care registered nurse. Love you Linda but I didn't get my degree from the university of the holistic squid.
I think folks should follow their licenced medical professional's advice.
Best wishes to those who don't, to each their own.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #22
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
In the U.S. at least, it is recommended that adults receive Tdap booster every ten years.

We had a surge in whooping cough cases in my area a couple of years ago, and I was glad my husband and I stay up to date with our booster shots. We are both frequently exposed to various illnesses at work. My building houses an elementary school, and we all share the same bathrooms. He's in and out of people's homes where it's common that someone is/was recently sick.
Regarding Whooping Cough. For quite a few years, there were not too many cases reported...seemed to be off the people's radar. Then in 2003, my granddaughter who was 1 month old was found to have contracted it. She and her 3 yr old sister had terrible coughs; eventually diagnosed with bronchitis, the other with pneumonia. The younger one stopped breathing, revived, was rushed to the local hospital by ambulance. Transferred to Children's Hospital in Milwaukee, where a spinal tap was done that diagnosed Whooping Cough. She spent two weeks at the hospital. As I said, her sister got it and so did their aunt, my other daughter. The health depts from two counties got involved, called my daughter's workplace to inform them that she must leave work immediately (nursing home) and the nursing home did not believe it could be Whooping Cough. When my daughter had the test for WC, her dr. initially did the wrong test until the health dept. told him which test he must give. My husband, a teacher, had contracted Whooping Cough from a student, who never knew that is what she had. He unknowingly passed it on to his granddaughters and daughter. Everyone, except the 1 month old, had been innoculated for WC. At that time, they came to the conclusion that protection is not for life and started recommending boosters. As I said, Whooping Cough had not been heard about for awhile and was not on anyone's radar. So, around November of every year we hear about cases of Whooping Cough. I understand not everyone believes in immunization or boosters, but in that case it nearly cost my granddaughter her life. So,be vigilant and realize that just because you haven't heard of an "old" disease for awhile, doesn't mean it isn't around.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #23
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I do hope every reader has been convinced by the answers above, tetanus is not a joke, if you don't die you'll be severely impaired for life. Just a few comments :
- whether a nail is rusty or not has not the slightest importance.
- men who joined the army, made a military service received a tetanus shot and remain protected a long time. Doctors know when the shot should be renewed, by the way it has no side effect. Serum from horses is entirely out of date.
- What shot could be added ? I suggest shingles if you are over 50.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hospital wards were a nightmare years ago.
My great grandfather was a doctor and we got to look at his old books from the 1800's.
The things people had were horrifying to say the least.
The pictures graphic treatments even worse.
I think people forget or just dont know how bad it was sometimes or just how lucky we are today.

The whole movement against antibiotics blows me away.
If we did that or food supplies would go to nothing and there wouldn't be any meat to eat.

The biggest problem is people not taking the complete prescription.
Just the other day I was working with a guy that did just that.
Didn't take it all.
You would think everyone would know better by now but I guess not.

I am still not a fan of running to every antibiotic ointment dispenser I see and using it.
We at Tomatoville are a unique group of people and tend to be more educated either self or formally and more well rounded than most of the general public.
I can tell this just by the conversations we have here.
I cant have them with regular folks.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #25
bower
Tomatovillian™

The wiki on tetanus vaccine is also an interesting page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus_vaccine

They say it is very safe, even for pregnant women and people with AIDS/HIV.

They also say Tdap is the booster for younger people and Td as you get older. The small d means there is less diptheria in the vaccine than tetanus.
And one interesting point, they say you should get your booster before age 65.
KarenO made the right point, that your qualified doctor or public health nurse would know exactly how this is to be applied. In Canada the public health nurses run clinics that offer vaccines... I have nothing but GOOD to say about the nurses in these clinics, that I have dealt with. Honest, intelligent, caring people with none of the big pharma side agendas and conflicts of interest you find in the medical doctors office. Simply fantastic people. When I get some free time, I'll track down their number and give a call, see if I can get the tetanus shot from them.

I had the whooping cough as a child, before the vaccine was available. It was not a bit nice. That is a scary story about the newborn. I have a wee two month old in my family circle and another one expected in the summer, plus a young boy nearly five whose father is opposed to vaccinations. I'm not sure if he got them or not.... it's a bit worrisome!
Old April 18, 2017   #26
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Vaccines do not cause Autism. I grew up with a girl who had polio. She will never walk and wore leg braces just to be able to stand.

This is an old disease that people no longer get thanks to vaccinations.

We have become complacent because we no longer see people die or suffer horribly from childhood diseases. It used to be very common.

Those who do not get vaccinated are lucky because most of the general population IS vaccinated so unvaccinated individuals are less likely to be exposed to infectious agents from sick people.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #27
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
Vaccines do not cause Autism. I grew up with a girl who had polio. She will never walk and wore leg braces just to be able to stand.

This is an old disease that people no longer get thanks to vaccinations.

We have become complacent because we no longer see people die or suffer horribly from childhood diseases. It used to be very common.

Those who do not get vaccinated are lucky because most of the general population IS vaccinated so unvaccinated individuals are less likely to be exposed to infectious agents from sick people.
Agree! One thing to note about Tetanus in particular though, is that there's no such "lucky" protection from others who have been vaccinated.
It is there in the environment, and unlike so many common microbes, you don't develop any immunity from exposure eg by playing in the dirt.
Why because it is ANAEROBIC and can only multiply when it gets into your bloodstream. At that point sadly it is too late.
Old April 18, 2017   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Spores.
We all know how resilient spores are.
They reside in the rough surfaces of rusty nails.
Then injected into your body and hatch.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #29
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Agree! One thing to note about Tetanus in particular though, is that there's no such "lucky" protection from others who have been vaccinated.
It is there in the environment, and unlike so many common microbes, you don't develop any immunity from exposure eg by playing in the dirt.
Why because it is ANAEROBIC and can only multiply when it gets into your bloodstream. At that point sadly it is too late.
It is sad but many in the "younger generation" think that this type of thing only happens in undeveloped countries. They have grown up in a country with the advanced medicine that they love to hate and think that everything is curable. They can not even imagine anyone dying from an insect bite or a cut.

I live in Amish country where they do not believe in vaccines or even doctors unless it is a very serious illness. Children die of preventable illnesses all of the time. I also know one Amish man who jumped down from a loading dock and hurt his back a few years ago and didn't go to a doctor. I don't know exactly what he damaged but a few days later he was permanently paralyzed from the waist down now and lives in a wheelchair.

I don't care if Doctor's or Big Pharma make big profits. I am grateful to live in a country where I have access to such things and I have had all of my vaccines including Tdap, Shingles and Pneumonia.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #30
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTEI don't care if Doctor's or Big Pharma make big profits. I am grateful to live in a country where I have access to such things and I have had all of my vaccines including Tdap, Shingles and Pneumonia.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the flu shot. Big Pharma wants you to have that every year, even if it is only 50% effective .

Being involved in dogs (and I do know that dogs are not humans), I have been made very aware that vaccinations and medications are not as benign as some people might think.

I am forced (by law) to have my dogs vaccinated for rabies every three years (even though it is known that the vaccine lasts for 7 years or longer). Unfortunately, one of my dogs is very allergic to that and I dread having to do it.

I had a series of rabies shots many years ago (after rescuing a skunk from a glass necklace and getting bitten as a result). Shortly after that, my thyroid destroyed itself.

I had all the childhood diseases that were going (we didn't have shots for them all back then). I also had all the shots that were deemed necessary when I was at school.

I can see the reasoning for wanting to keep the "herd" immunized. It protects the weak and the young. Since I am neither, I simply prefer not to run with the herd in so many ways....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote