Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2017   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=tarpalsfan;632135]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
For all who grow the same variety there are those who love it and those who call it a spitter.

Just too many darn variables at work depending on where you live,how you grow your tomatoes, what was the season like when you grew it,there are human genes that determine how we perceive taste,and on and on.

When I was listing many varieties in the annual SSE Yearbook, there were varieties that as grown by me weren't spitters,just OK, and some who got the seeds said they were outstanding.

Same with varieties I've offered here in seed offers since Jan of 2007 and ones before that elsewhere although there was one that everyone hated, it was from South America,and I can't remember the name right now,but almost everyone referred to it as SOUR.

But I suggest that folks don't always rely on the comments of others as to growth,yield,taste,etc, for a variety as I noted re the variables above.And beware certain seed vendor sites that say ALL varieties are outstanding.

Most of the time they have bought seed and not grown the plants themselves nor saved their own seed,so maybe good to consider buying from those companies that DO grow their own varieties and sell those seeds.

Nope,I'm not here to defend red or yellow pears or the two others I linked to and several have noted others here I've also grown, and no comments on those either.

Carolyn[/QUOTE
Wonderful reply, thank you
This is a little off target-but you mentioned a sour tomato? I once grew Reisetomate
. Was that it, I wonder. It was rather tart.?
Thank you for the great reply
No,it wasn't Reisetomate, aka Traveler, it was,Loka,I HAD to try and find it, and did.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...+tomato&page=3

https://www.google.com/search?q=Loka...&bih=788&dpr=1

Loka in their language means local and the person who sent it to me is a Tville member,although I can't remember his name. He was doing consulting in Ghana for some reason and if I wanted to find the Fall feedback reports for 2014 there would be more making nasty comments about Loka as well.

All to say,I deleted the Loka listing.

Carolyn, who thinks maybe in the Google search above, under Tomatoville,that Fall report might also be there.

Adding the following. I initially said that Ghana was in South America,it's not ,it's in Africa.
Old April 15, 2017   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yellow Pear is in Carolyn's Book 100 Heirloom Tomatoes For The American Garden page 240.
Enough said.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #33
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Is there just one yellow pear variety ? I mean the small cherry size one ?
Its shape and color is appealing.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Is there just one yellow pear variety ? I mean the small cherry size one ?
There should be and I only get the seeds from TGS.
A garden salad with both red and yellow is to die for.
The ladies love them or at least the ones I know.
My wife loved them and I had to grow them every year for her.

Worth
Old April 15, 2017   #35
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
There should be and I only get the seeds from TGS.
A garden salad with both red and yellow is to die for.
The ladies love them or at least the ones I know.
My wife loved them and I had to grow them every year for her.

Worth
Here is what I learned (Beam's ):

Quote:
Introduced to SSE in 1983 by John Hartman of Indiana. Our favorite when we compared 25 different yellow pears in 1998. Endless supply of 1½" fruits with great flavor. Ideal for salads. Indeterminate, 70-80 days from transplant. ±21,000 seeds/oz.
That settles. There must be some that taste better .

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #36
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpalsfan View Post
Hi
The Yellow Pear I grew had to be from a store bought plant too, if I'd had grown it from seed there would have been several plants. What you said about the fruit just changing color-maybe that is when it taste best?
I heard of people not liking the tomato plants smell. I like the way they smell.
Lilly Miller? I haven't heard of that seed merchant before, but that was great germination from '09 seed.
I know that Sand Hill has several Yellow Pear, and I bet that Tatianas.com has some varieties too.
I was looking at Green Pear in my B.C catalog. I haven't grown them, but I have grown Black Pear-the plants grew well here, and made LOTS of tomatoes. When it rained, they split-but I still ate them. They weren't greatest flavored tomato-but I still liked them enough to snack on them right in the garden.
OH GASP! Did I just read: TOMATO SANDWICH? Torture! Don't make me resort to store tomato-tomato sandwich...and the first summer tomato is so far away!
Thanks for the reply!
I don't remember. I thought they tasted good at all levels of ripeness for that one I tried when I was younger.

I don't mean to torture you (so feel free to skip this paragraph if it might tempt you), but yep, Green Pear tastes like an excellent tomato for putting on a sandwich, but as it's a pear tomato, it's kind of different to actually get it on a sandwich in slices. It has a good texture for it, and taste. Chapman and Pink Cheeks taste like good sandwich tomatoes, too, and are round, and respectively large to extra large tomatoes (although Pink Cheeks is a softer tomato, but it tastes like Chapman; they are different than Green Pear, though, in taste and texture, but Chapman is the closest comparison that comes to mind). Pruden's Purple is my favorite for hamburgers. Early Girl F1 is my favorite for burritos. Anyway, I just mention those if you want suggestions there. For a pure tomato sandwich, I'm not sure which tomato I'd recommend. I was thinking maybe a tuna sandwich or such.

Yep, those Lilly Miller-esque seeds must have had a 100% germination rate, or nearly so, if not. I didn't even have them in ideal storage conditions (just in a gallon zipper bag in a room that gets super hot in the summer and cold in the winter). I think I planted about 20 seeds. I had them indoors too long and some got pythium on the stems (they didn't get damping off from it, though). I plantednone in a raised bed, but it was too crowded without much sun (shaded raised beds are definitely not the best place to try crowding tomatoes; I didn't get one ripe fruit from it; I think Black Plum was the only variety to do passably well in those conditions; Market Wonder, Gardener's Delight, and Galapagos Island got a few fruits, though). So, that's why I saved seeds from my neighbor's tomatoes instead.

Lilly Miller, Ferry Morse, and I think American Seed are all companies that I think provide seeds to a lot of vendors, including dollar stores for some or all of them.
Old April 16, 2017   #37
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I've always grown both yellow and red pear for as long as i can remember...probably
when i started ordering from TGS years ago.
This might be the first year not growing. I had two of each last year and lost one to a
critter digger. I used them in salads. Everyone loved them for snacking and salads cut
in half.
I have so many more for the 'cherry bowl' this year and last that they fell off the 'stable'
of regulars. So many 8-9's out there... it is a 6-7 in flavor.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #38
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

The only yellow pear I ever grew had no flavor whatsoever and that was being grown in So Cal with plenty of sunshine and little water. I did indeed literally spit out the one I tasted. I need to go back and read all the comments here. I always thought if someone took this on as a breeding project and could get some great flavor with that cute lil shape, they'd have a popular tomato. I'm thinking the general public is so used to bland tomatoes in the market, they don't know the difference. After eating the likes of Paul Robeson, Aunt Ginny's Purple and Kellogg's Breakfast, there is no going back.
Old April 16, 2017   #39
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

The first time I ever tasted one, grown by a neighbor, it was like a tiny beefsteak-all good old fashioned tomato flavor. When I grew them myself they were horrible, no flavor and a weird, soft, creamy texture.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #40
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Yellow Pear is in Carolyn's Book 100 Heirloom Tomatoes For The American Garden page 240.
Enough said.I am going to get 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Gardener when I can. I looked at it at Amazon, and for it at Hamilton's. I want Epic Tomatoes too.

Worth
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #41
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeneer View Post
is there just one yellow pear variety ? I mean the small cherry size one ?
hi, excuse the cap's please. But there are several varieties of yellow pear that i found alone at the sand hill preservation center, and i know that there are lots to be found at tatainias website. There are some great links here on this thread to visit. :d
Old April 16, 2017   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have her book in the kitchen for quick reference and one in the bedroom too.

Worth
Old April 16, 2017   #43
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
i don't remember. I thought they tasted good at all levels of ripeness for that one i tried when i was younger.

I don't mean to torture you (so feel free to skip this paragraph if it might tempt you), but yep, green pear tastes like an excellent tomato for putting on a sandwich, but as it's a pear tomato, it's kind of different to actually get it on a sandwich in slices. It has a good texture for it, and taste. Chapman and pink cheeks taste like good sandwich tomatoes, too, and are round, and respectively large to extra large tomatoes (although pink cheeks is a softer tomato, but it tastes like chapman; they are different than green pear, though, in taste and texture, but chapman is the closest comparison that comes to mind). Pruden's purple is my favorite for hamburgers. Early girl f1 is my favorite for burritos. Anyway, i just mention those if you want suggestions there. For a pure tomato sandwich, i'm not sure which tomato i'd recommend. I was thinking maybe a tuna sandwich or such.

Yep, those lilly miller-esque seeds must have had a 100% germination rate, or nearly so, if not. I didn't even have them in ideal storage conditions (just in a gallon zipper bag in a room that gets super hot in the summer and cold in the winter). I think i planted about 20 seeds. I had them indoors too long and some got pythium on the stems (they didn't get damping off from it, though). I plantednone in a raised bed, but it was too crowded without much sun (shaded raised beds are definitely not the best place to try crowding tomatoes; i didn't get one ripe fruit from it; i think black plum was the only variety to do passably well in those conditions; market wonder, gardener's delight, and galapagos island got a few fruits, though). So, that's why i saved seeds from my neighbor's tomatoes instead.

Lilly miller, ferry morse, and i think american seed are all companies that i think provide seeds to a lot of vendors, including dollar stores for some or all of them.
lol! Torture, who doesn't love a tomato sandwich starring a still hot from the garden, big, fat, slice of tomato heaven?
Delicious tomato comes to mind. However, and unrelated to yellow pear, my favorite tomato-if there is such a thing, is ugly, and late, but wonderful cherokee green.
I too am going to plant in raised beds this season. I think the beds can handle 2 tomato plants and a few marigolds too. I will also plant in containers, bags as well. I will not plant many tomatoes in my garden, as they will not do well there. A few, but not many.
The yellow pear will go into big container's.
Is galapagos island a currant tomato?
Old April 16, 2017   #44
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=carolyn137;632193]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpalsfan View Post

No,it wasn't Reisetomate, aka Traveler, it was,Loka,I HAD to try and find it, and did.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...+tomato&page=3

https://www.google.com/search?q=Loka...&bih=788&dpr=1

Loka in their language means local and the person who sent it to me is a Tville member,although I can't remember his name. He was doing consulting in Ghana for some reason and if I wanted to find the Fall feedback reports for 2014 there would be more making nasty comments about Loka as well.

All to say,I deleted the Loka listing.

Carolyn, who thinks maybe in the Google search above, under Tomatoville,that Fall report might also be there.

Adding the following. I initially said that Ghana was in South America,it's not ,it's in Africa.
Wow! I visited the link you provided. I am amazed on how different our opinions are on, even on just the tomato! Regarding the Loka tomato-no-one who tried it could find a use for it, not even for cooking or drying! I still have your first link up-it really is hard to stop reading. I know that there are many variables when it come to growing and taste-but it really is fascinating how different out opinions can be.
Old April 16, 2017   #45
schill93
Tomatovillian™

To give you an idea of what I thought of yellow pear. I went out to my garden one afternoon, and stood there looking at that yellow pear sprawled out all over the place with maybe 1000 little yellow tomatoes on it, and went and got my big clippers and chopped the little sucker down. Even my dog didn't like them.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote