Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 5, 2017   #1
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Default bee/wasp identification help

This is not a pest, but I thought I might as well ask here. Just curious, they seems docile and non-stinging, and attracts to the tomato plants (maybe for the caterpillars). They don't make buzzing noises.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170128_115854.jpg (174.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170205_145505.jpg (184.2 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; February 5, 2017 at 05:02 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It is a wasp that people mistake for a yellow jacket.
IF it has a paper nest in the air and not in the ground.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

I agree... looks like a paper wasp. They are predators on insect pests, so perhaps they're keeping your plants safe.

I read about these last season as I had several nests close to the house and garden. They said move the nest if you must but don't destroy it, as these are not the same ones that attack your ham sandwich! Those obnoxious wasps are the ones that nest in the ground. The paper wasps are strictly insect predators and usually will only sting if they feel they or the nest is threatened.

So there was one nest I couldn't remove, stuck under the ledge of a big old washtub I had planted lettuce in, and close to my door and also my outdoor rows of tomatoes. I decided to just learn to live with it, don't disturb and hope for the best. I was really pleased because I had zero problems with these dive bombing or harrassing me as I watered and tended the plants.

Only one day I got stung. I was fussing over the tomato plants a lot that day, but also, I was having a smoke out there as I hung about looking at the plants. Did not get a wasp in my face, but the critter stung me on the back where I was bending over. I didn't feel it at the time but only discovered it later - nasty welts. So they can be sneaky and retaliate for imaginary harm - I was not out to smoke their nest! But overall I liked their behavior, just quietly going about their business. They also ate the heck out of problem ants that were getting in the greenhouse and I had no more coming by the season's end. A good job!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #4
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I am very familiar with those. There is a whole classification and several types of those. From large to small and a variety of colors. They are Nopes. Nope I don't want them around me. Nope they are not cute, fuzzy and friendly. Nope I don't want stung. NOPE NOPE NOPE >,< I can deal with spiders and snakes no problem but not a fan of Nopes. *hysterical shivers*
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #5
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Paper wasps and hornets tend to hold their wings separated and roll them lengthwise a bit when they land. They don't cover the abdomen with flattened, overlapping wings. But, a moth does. Also, that's awful fuzzy to be paper wasp or a hornet. Some of the wingless wasp species are very fuzzy, but they don't resemble paper wasps or hornets, they look more like large ants.

I can't see it in the picture, but if the distal margins of the wings look a little 'frayed', that's another indicator it's a moth. I'd love to see more photos if you can get them!

Cheers,

Adam
txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #6
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I thought moth are more solitary. These comes out as a group in the morning. They seems to make a mating dance by circling each other.
Old February 10, 2017   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Actually Max, looking again I wonder if it is a bee?

Afaik, a key identifier between bees vs wasps is that bees are furry, but the amount of 'fur' or 'hairiness' can actually vary a lot, also which parts are 'furry' or not. Just browsed some wasp pictures, and none of them have hairy legs like your pet there. Nor the bit of fur on the abdomen, although it is slight compared to some types.
Shape wise, it looks like a wasp, but there are bees that have more of that shape too ie more wasp looking but still a bee.
I was amazed to read about so many kinds of bees - that would fit with the gentle behavior and 'dancing' too.
Here is a website with some bee identification info and pictures.
http://www.bumblebeewatch.org/app/#/species/profile

Since you have pictures, you can find out more by submitting a "sighting", when you do that they will take you through a proper 'key' that should tell you what species it is at the end.
That is, if it is in fact a bee.

Some bees have white eyes, as it looks like in your pic. I never knew that but found it out bumbling around on that site.
Old February 20, 2017   #8
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

In real life they are silvery or light grey zebra striped, not yellowish. They seem to speed around like flies without making noises and not slow or buzzing like regular bees. Doesn't seem to do any pollen collecting. In any case, I like them.

I also have a decent amount of green orchid bee and they like the tomato flowers most.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170220_101457.jpg (239.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; February 20, 2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old February 20, 2017   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

Lovely pic... the paper wasps around here, which look similar, are also super quiet fliers. You wouldn't know they're there.
Bumblebees in my garden make such a din, I've been woken by them on summer mornings with the upstairs window open.
The standard obnoxious yellow jacket wasp here, which looks like the paper wasp too, also makes a noisy flight but you can tell from the sound it's not a bumble, quite different. When I hear those I run away.
Old February 21, 2017   #10
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the new pic. This one's a stumper. I'm going to run it by the iNaturalist community and see if someone has an ID.

Best,

Adam
Old February 21, 2017   #11
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It is a wasp. It could be Vespula germanica or the common wasp Vespula vulgaris.

download.jpg

This is a photo of V. germanica
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (2.9 KB, 37 views)
Old February 21, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Like I said it is a wasp as you have shown.
I have thousands of them at my place.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017   #13
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Found the answer after I asked on BugGuide. http://bugguide.net/node/view/10199

It's a scoliid wasp, which prey on beetles larvae, which pretty much explains everything since I have a big problem with grubs in my soil.
Old February 21, 2017   #14
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Nice! Glad you found an answer!
Old February 22, 2017   #15
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

So it's a friend, with a possible temper!

Wasps patrol my garden and do a great job preying on cabbage white caterpillars. I have plenty of whites flying most years, but only rarely have a problem. I hope that continues!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote