Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 27, 2017   #1
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Default Going to try my apparent green thumb at this...

First time tomato/super hots seed grower. Love to eat the varieties but attempting to grow them from seed has really been calling to me. Loving all these great catalogs in the mail, ordering seeds, and downloading books/mags on my Kindle tablet and home PC. Will be a fantastically fun and learning experience I'm sure!

01/14/17 Prepared all seeds for germination using wet paper towel in ziplocs. The Super Hots include: Purple Ghost, Ice Cream Scorpion, 7 Pot Yellow, Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Chocolate Habanero, Scotch Bonnet Orange, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Chocolate, and Caramel Ghost.

Tomatoes include: Zebra Tomato, and Mountain Gold Tomato

Using double solo cups with interior cup having drain hole. Watering from bottom but still having to spray and moisten surface as it can dry by days end with the minor lamp heat and nearby clip on fan for air movement. I live in a condo environment with two large patios but no real land to plant in the ground. My current raised beds are occupied by garden regulars and I intend to grow in large pots on my patios.

One week later on 1/21/17, I had two Scotch Bonnet seedlings break soil surface. All seeds under VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum.

Discovered my tomato seeds might have been buried a little too deep but not sure about all of them. They're taking longer than the Scotch Bonnets. I've decided I should germinate and plant larger variety to make up for losses. Placed first order for seeds with Tomato Growers Supply Company to include: Yellow Brandywine PS, Virginia Sweets, Cherokee Carbon Hybrid, Black, Giant Belgium, Costoluto Genovese, and another pepper - Fatalii.

Will begin germination of those seeds this weekend 1/28/16. As of today 1/26/16, all super hots mentioned above are still germinating! I've read they can take 2-4 weeks in extreme cases so I'll check every couple of days.

Will appreciate future input with any successful varieties that make it to seedling stage. I'll be asking for replanting suggestions from those who've tried and tested specific methods. Took me a little while but finally figured out how to load pics and the fact that my 4000x6000 shots were a wee bit large. Resized them to 50% and uploaded but man what a racket! Sheesh, almost gave up and figured I'd go at it again later with a crazy dose of do or die determination.

In the meantime, a couple of shots of the first little ones. Will update this thread as things evolve. Sure hope I get one or two good plants of each variety.

Last edited by KimchiMonger; January 27, 2017 at 12:33 AM.
KimchiMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2017   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Good luck !
It seems to me that you are more of a pepper enthusiast than tomatoes. But that is fine.
My tomatoes ( 15 varieties all germinated in average of 5 days. But after two weeks 1/3 of my peppers (Mostly on the high heat side ) have not germinated yet. But I will be patient and give them more time.
While optimum sol/medium temperature for tomatoes is 75F, most peppers germinate best at 85F. At lower temps it will take them even longer. Also some varieties take their sweet old time to germinate.
BTW: I am growing few of your pepper varieties too.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2017   #3
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your message Gardeneer. I was in NC last December on co. business. During my 3 week visit I managed a trip to Biltmore Estate, Downtown Charlotte tour, Old Salem, and shopped in High Point. Having couple art pieces delivered here at home next month. Wonderful state and even better people.

Today I had mail call surprise with my Tomato Supply Company Seeds! You were right to assume my primary focus was on super hots, but I also dream of growing some of those heirlooms. Will strive to do so this year even in the concrete jungle of Dallas, TX. Decided to just plant these and put the cups on heating pad.

They include following tomatoes:

Black Tomato
Virginia Sweets
Costoluto Genovese
Yellow Brandywine Platfoot Strain
Cherokee Carbon Hybrid
Giant Belgium
Chocolate Stripe
+ previous
Mountain Gold Tomato
Zebra Tomato

Also received a second VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED light today. Constructed a PVC pipe stand to hang the two lights from side by side. These hover over 25 solo cups with the prized seeds. Posting picture this weekend.

Last edited by KimchiMonger; January 28, 2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old January 28, 2017   #4
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Since I decided to expand seed germination to 8 Tomato varieties and 10 Pepper, ordered a second light. Thirty or so germinating cups will fit just right. Pictured seedlings are my Mountain Gold tomato plants which were prepped for germination (wet towel method) on 1/14 and planted in current cups on 1/21. Spent couple of hrs yesterday wetting soil, filling cups, and carefully placing seeds for 7 tomato varieties. Glad I got them all done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seedlings with two lamps (1 of 1).jpg (142.7 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg Seedlings with two lamps 2 (1 of 1).jpg (216.9 KB, 339 views)
Old February 3, 2017   #5
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

2/03/17 About two weeks after I began this growing process, I have these little beauties sprouting leaves about. They've really taken to this LED full spectrum lighting. All seedling cups under 600watts total using two lamps. The pictured group of three with leaves are 'Chocolate Stripe Tomatoes'. Was fascinated with online images of this fruit and would love to harvest a few top form flawless versions. We'll see. The third photo is a group of seeds I planted straight into the soil without paper towel germination method. They've come up and seem to be pretty viable seeds.

Those that have sprouted include:

Tomatoes: Virginia Sweets Tomato, Giant Belgium,Black Tomato, Cherokee Carbon, Mountain Gold, Costoluto Genovese, Yellow Brandywine, and Chocolate Stripe.

Hot Peppers: Purple Ghost, Caramel Ghost, Ice Cream Scorpion, Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate Habanero, and 7 Pot

Will soon be time to repot the early tom. plants. I'm thinking about moving them into say 5" pots. My newbie plan is simple and inexperienced but certainly open to suggestions. I've changed my future repotting plan again and now thinking Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix with Espoma Organic Plant-Tone. I'll have calcium nitrate and bone meal on hand but unsure if I should add it since the mix will have Plant-Tone.

ANY SUGGESTIONS on above plan welcome.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chocolate Stripe Tomatoes 1 (1 of 1).jpg (261.2 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg Chocolate Stripe Tomatoes 2 (1 of 1).jpg (347.4 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg Tomatoe and Pepper Seedlings 1 (1 of 1).jpg (474.5 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by KimchiMonger; February 3, 2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old February 5, 2017   #6
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

2/05/17 - Sunday afternoon and I decided to repot a couple of tomato seedlings. Although right under three inches, one of them had roots coming out the bottom of the solo cup. Fast growing for sure. Upon removing the little root ball from the cup I was amazed at the root growth pictured here.

Mental change number three on soil choice. Just repotted a couple of tom. plants, raised soil level on main stem, and used Dr. Earth gardening mix and Plant Tone. Will also be testing this soil mix on black oil sunflower seeds for microgreens

So I open this bag of Plant Tone and WHEW WEE! Beautifully organic! I can see and smell why this has been suggested around here. I love this stuff. Imagine how much the plants will appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomatoe replanting 1 (1 of 1).jpg (300.9 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Potting Mix 1 (1 of 1).jpg (307.6 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by KimchiMonger; February 5, 2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old February 10, 2017   #7
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

2/09/17 - Seedling growth continues at a pretty fast pace. Surprised how strong and quick they've taken off. I suppose I unknowingly began with quality viable seeds. Those pictured below include now: Cherokee Carbon Hybrid, Black, Yellow Brandywine, Costoluto Genovese, Chocolate Stripe, and Giant Belgium. These plants will be separated and replanted this weekend as they need the room having proven viable and healthy thus far.

Since last week, had to raise the lamps twice as they kept growing and seemingly responding well to the lighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato Seedlings x1 (1 of 1).jpg (242.7 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato Seedlings x11 (1 of 1).jpg (259.8 KB, 263 views)
Old February 10, 2017   #8
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

The Super Hots are taking off as well! Newly hatched seedlings include: Purple Ghost, Scotch Bonnet Orange, 7 Pot, Ice Cream Scorpion, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, and Chocolate Habanero.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato Seedlings x12 (1 of 1).jpg (263.2 KB, 264 views)
Old February 10, 2017   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I started germinating bunch of tomato, eggplant and pepper seed on 1/14/17.
Now the tomatoes are well into their 4th true leaves while most peppers are stuck at their cot leaves. First it took peppers one week longer to germinate (in average ) and then they are growing real slow. But they are all healthy. No worries . I have still long time away from plant out , maybe 6 weeks for peppers. But I will push the envelope on tomatoes to get them in the ground in about 4 weeks. That is weather permitting. Or else they have to move out and go to the garage.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #10
oakley
Tomatovillian™

They look great. Go easy on the fert. Sometimes too much causes trouble like too much
candy in a 5yr old. Explode hyper then crash.
Bottom water and maybe get some dry soil on the top, sort of acts like a mini mulch.

Note that your fert is good and what i use. Just keep it away from pets. It is irresistible
yet toxic and can cause liver/organ damage.
I put some in the planting holes and a critter dug up a couple toms to get at it last
year. I think three but i had many tom insurance back-ups. May have been field mice or
chipmonks. Put out a trap but never caught anything...the fert may have killed them.
No further damage after the first few.

I also use liquid Fish/seaweed but has the same pet attraction. It is much more dilute
so less of a danger except for digging. TexTom and some calMag i like for garden feeding
as that good stink is not present.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #11
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
First it took peppers one week longer to germinate (in average ) and then they are growing real slow. But they are all healthy. No worries .
Right you are! Had read they simply take longer. So many tomato seedling were on their way as I starred at no action planter cups with pepper seeds. I had given up on them while not trashing them. Suddenly about 10 days behind tomatoes they broke soil surface and joined the rest. The last to spring from soil was that North Carolina Reaper. Sheesh! Took it's sweet time but it's putting on a show now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
They look great. Go easy on the fert. Sometimes too much causes trouble like too much candy in a 5yr old. Explode hyper then crash. Bottom water and maybe get some dry soil on the top, sort of acts like a mini mulch.
Will do oakley! Thanks for the warning regarding pets as I do have a dog and cat in the house. The cat enjoys inspecting anything she can get paws on. Had the fert. on a shelf above plant lighting but tucked it away in cabinet now.

Last edited by KimchiMonger; February 10, 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old February 10, 2017   #12
rdback
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking seedlings KM. Funny, I've grown under T-12 floro's for years, and just last month purchased two 300W LEDs lol. I'm looking forward to setting them up shortly, especially after seeing how healthy, and stocky, your plants are. Not leggy at all. Good job!
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #13
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the compliment rdback! Information I'm using to grow these and overall equipment and approach I learned here on this site and a few online searches. Seems many have successfully grown under T-12 floro's and understandably so. I was looking into the very same before stumbling upon these LED's. Initially had serious doubts until reading further and watching apparent results on Youtube vids. All pros and no cons with comparable if not lower initial investment. The energy savings was another hit with me. How could I argue with that technology? Still don't fully understand how these LED's work to grow plants but it works. My curiosity has me looking forward to reading up on it for better understanding.
Old February 10, 2017   #14
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the compliment rdback! Information I'm using to grow these and overall equipment and approach I learned here on this site and a few online searches. Seems many have successfully grown under T-12 floro's and understandably so. I was looking into the very same before stumbling upon these LED's. Initially had serious doubts until reading further and watching apparent results on Youtube vids. All pros and no cons with comparable if not lower initial investment. The energy savings was another hit with me. How could I argue with that technology? Still don't fully understand how these LED's work to grow plants but it works. My curiosity has me looking forward to reading up on it for better understanding.
Old February 18, 2017   #15
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

2/18/17 - A month and four days since I began this fantastic project, I have these maybe six inch plants. Many of the others were planted a couple of weeks later so still around half the size of these first sown seeds. These 3 photos are Mountain Gold Tomatoes. Pinched a little bit of lower growth. Took these outside to patio to capture under true light as the grow lights throw off camera.

I notice that two of these have flowers? Are they supposed to have flowers just a month into their growth? Do I pinch these back and have it focus on getting stronger? Not sure what to do there.

Later this afternoon will post pics of the super hots which are now taking on fantastic leaf growth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 in tomato seedlings 1 (1 of 1).jpg (228.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 5 in tomato seedlings 2 (1 of 1).jpg (238.5 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 5 in tomato seedlings 3 (1 of 1).jpg (227.6 KB, 194 views)

Tags
germinating seeds , super hots in pots , tomatoes in pots , viparspectra led lighting