Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 13, 2016   #31
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Plastic netting is cheap. So is pvc conduit. If you are only using it to support netting, you could get away with a much less sturdy structure than what would be required to support greenhouse plastic. I have bought "wildlife netting" fencing at Menard's. It was I think $25 for 7' x 100'. It could be stitched together, I am guessing, and used to enclose a garden.
This past growing season, I was able to keep the squirrels out by using a combination of 6 or 8 foot tomato stakes, Quest Bird Dfence black netting, twine, and plastic tent pegs.

I use the twine to 'sew' the netting together and hold the netting to the top of the tomato stakes where needed. The tent pegs are tacked into the ground to keep the squirrels from getting in.

My structures are temporary for the growing season and I take them down for the winter.

This fall, I put netting secured by twine to 4-foot stakes around my strawberry and garlic gardens to protect them from squirrels over the winter. ... I'm hoping this will be enough to keep them out over the winter.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2016   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One of Bills squirrels sent this to me.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2016   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is a recipe straight from the White House cook book.

SQUIRREL SOUP.
Wash and quarter three or four good sized squirrels; put them on, with a small tablespoonful of salt, directly after breakfast, in a gallon of cold water. Cover the pot close, and set it on the back part [Pg 38]of the stove to simmer gently, not boil. Add vegetables just the same as you do in case of other meat soups in the summer season, but especially good will you find corn, Irish potatoes, tomatoes and Lima beans. Strain the soup through a coarse colander when the meat has boiled to shreds, so as to get rid of the squirrels' troublesome little bones. Then return to the pot, and after boiling a while longer, thicken with a piece of butter rubbed in flour. Celery and parsley leaves chopped up are also considered an improvement by many. Toast two slices of bread, cut them into dice one-half inch square, fry them in butter, put them into the bottom of your tureen, and then pour the soup boiling hot upon them. Very good.
Old November 15, 2016   #34
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I'll trade ya problems Bill. I'll trade ya squirrels for my snakes. I have about 26 squirrels running around here now, but I have so many Oak and Hickory trees they have plenty of food. Surprisingly they didn't touch any of my tomatoes, but the chipmunks sure did of ones hanging down. I also keep cheesecloth around the outside area of my plants.

Now what the squirrels are doing is burying nuts in my containers and disturbing the roots. Come spring I have to go all around and rip out seedlings. The thing they have frustrated me most is the have gone threw and munched off every leaf to the roots of my Comfrey plants and have taken the leaves to line there nests with. Comfrey has alot of health benefits for healing wounds, but the leaves are sort of a soft fuzzy feeling. Guess they don't want to spend the winter with their rumps being scratched raw from all the dried tree leaves.

The squirrels here are smart. You bring a gun out and they all disappear. You bring out a rake to get up the fallen leaves and they romp around the ground around you.

The only thing good about having so many squirrels is they are a natural form of look out. If there a snake or some other not so nice critter around, they climb up the trees and make enough racket to make you wish had ear plugs. They have saved my tail from getting snake bit a couple of times.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #35
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Last December, the squirrel left his peanut on top of the green floral foam in our outdoor Christmas planter because he couldn't dig down into the foam or pull out the cedar sprigs.

I fooled him!
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #36
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPawlick View Post
Last December, the squirrel left his peanut on top of the green floral foam in our outdoor Christmas planter because he couldn't dig down into the foam or pull out the cedar sprigs.

I fooled him!
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016   #37
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPawlick View Post

I fooled him!
That is so funny.
Old November 17, 2016   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

enhanced-buzz-28074-1279303241-1 fat.jpg
Old November 18, 2016   #39
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'd use row cover. Tie some metal post to each side and ur set.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016   #40
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Super funny. Poor Bill! Hope you get rid of your pests soon.
Old November 21, 2016   #41
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Saw this today...hope the post works. I'd love to build one of these, considering the damage those darn tree rats did to my garden the past 2 years.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F13 6340226832179%2Fvideos%2F165324693933732%2F&show_t ext=0&width=400" width="400" height="400" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"

https://www.facebook.com/13634022683...5324693933732/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #42
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

That's brilliant! Squirrels in orbit!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #43
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Zana

With the big cats nearby, our squirrel population has decreased big time. I've seen two of them in the past couple of months. Last year, they were everywhere. In a way, I sort of miss them because the oak trees have dropped more acorns than we have ever seen. Next year, we'll be mowing new oaks like they were weeds.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #44
agee12
Tomatovillian™

I have squirrels galore in my neighborhood but have not had problems with squirrels probably because two summers ago I started feeding a couple of neighborhood cats before I learned that is a no no and I'm guessing that they are deterring the squirrels
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #45
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

It's a no-no to feed cats?

I guess I'm going to hell.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote