Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2017   #46
cwavec
Tomatovillian™

Default 3 plants

Those look very nice. Wish I had'm. But here in Zone 5b I'm only getting
ready to set some out shortly.

BTW, I answered your post in the other thread with some details about
the "history" of the F1. Not entirely sure what your drift was but I hope
that helps.

Another BTW, I just caught these two by accident as I haven't had time
for T'ville lately. All my available time is spent in the garden lately.
cwavec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #47
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

F2 Donas from last year (planted late in cage with Supersonic) are looking strong. Some have fruit already. F1s look great too. F2s weren't produced from a controlled cross but accidents do happen.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #48
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Default First Dona F1

Picked my first Dona F1 for this year. Will give it a few days to finish ripening-then review.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dona_2017_1st_Web.jpg (217.0 KB, 122 views)
Old May 23, 2017   #49
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

gdaddybill...be sure to give us a review. I will pick my first any day now.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #50
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Default Dona F1 taste

Finally had 5 Dona tomatoes ripe enough for a photo and tasting. I wasn't disappointed but there wasn't quite the intensity of flavor that I anticipated. The texture was wonderful-juicy, melting-no grain or hard tissue. The acidity was just right but I hoped for a little more sweetness. Maybe too much water and fertilizer. I certainly didn't discard the other four. The Dona F2s are very similar in shape but still green so I'm anxious to compare them. Tried a Tomande F1 next and it was very similar-maybe a tiny bit sweeter. Both were excellent with salt!

I kept one slice for a turkey slider, sprinkled with Creole seasoning salt-so good!

Diced the rest for fresh salsa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dona_2017_1st5_slicedWebWM.jpg (289.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Tomande_2017_biteWM.jpg (355.8 KB, 94 views)
Old May 30, 2017   #51
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I, for one, appreciate your taste report Gdaddybill. I'm looking forward to trying Dona F1 this year

Thanks to Cwavec for sharing seeds! I had a damping off disaster with my first seedling, but I have to mention that the second one that I sowed turned out to be vibrant, and soon caught up in size with the rest of my seedlings

Plant out for me will be June 1 or 2.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #52
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddybill View Post
Finally had 5 Dona tomatoes ripe enough for a photo and tasting. I wasn't disappointed but there wasn't quite the intensity of flavor that I anticipated. The texture was wonderful-juicy, melting-no grain or hard tissue. The acidity was just right but I hoped for a little more sweetness. Maybe too much water and fertilizer. I certainly didn't discard the other four. The Dona F2s are very similar in shape but still green so I'm anxious to compare them. Tried a Tomande F1 next and it was very similar-maybe a tiny bit sweeter. Both were excellent with salt!
I kept one slice for a turkey slider, sprinkled with Creole seasoning salt-so good!
Diced the rest for fresh salsa.
Thanks for the update. Your Donas look great. I plan to grow Dona F1 in the Fall. I grew what was said to be a Dona OP in the spring. The OP did a credible job and the taste was good. I will save seeds from it. Tomande is one of my favorites of the tall indeterminates. Big performers for me this spring were Prima Red, Skyway 687, BHN 1021 and Tycoon. I also grow an OP called BCD (Brandywine Cherry Dark). BCD produces well, is not a Cherry and those I give it to, they love the taste.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #53
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Dona F2s are more variable in size but the shape is similar. Also there are a number of F2 plants-sometimes two in one cage so that may account for additional variability. The flavor was very good. There wasn't much apparent acidity but there was noticeable sweetness. Texture was juicy and melting-just right. We had F2 slices on our sandwiches at lunch and they were delicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dona F2_bucket2_WebWM.jpg (261.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Dona F2_variations_slicedWebWM.jpg (331.2 KB, 78 views)
Old March 5, 2019   #54
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Per chance gdb, did you save and grow any F3 seeds?
I loved the tomato but foolishly didn't save any F2. I have enough seeds to start another F1 plant, but curious how far we can take this one before hitting the comments on flavor for OP.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2019   #55
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

I didn't do too well with Dona F1 last year. It was just okay but haven't even planted any seeds this year. Sorry, no F3 seeds.

Have a small greenhouse full of tomato, pepper and eggplant seedlings though. Too many varieties, too little time.

Bill
Old March 6, 2019   #56
cwavec
Tomatovillian™

Hey Bill,

Glad to see you around. I haven't followed Tomatoville for many months. The old
story - too little time. But whenever anyone posts to this thread I get a notice
and try to contribute what I can.

Steve
cwavec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2019   #57
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing my last Dona F1 from my one remaining seed this year. I don't know why I didn't comment on this thread, but it did well for me and I loved the flavor.

Will be thinking of you Steve when I enjoy my Dona tomatoes in the summer! Thanks again .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote