Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 19, 2017   #61
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Hi
Thank you for providing the link and information. I actually visited that page before, as I think I saw this tomato in The Sand Hill catalog I downloaded. And had to look it up. Wow! I think that there is something wrong with me-I want to grow every great sounding tomato I read about-peppers too! Thank you the information-I appreciate it much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I only know of Sara's Galapagos as indicated in this link

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sara%27s_Galapagos

Amy Goldman, add Fowler, had gone to the Galapagos islands,there are several, I had asked her to bring me back one of the species, the salt tolerant one,but when she got back,how she got by Customs I don't know,but she brought back actual fruits,sent them to me, I was expecting something yellow,so I knew ASAP since the fruits were red,that's not what I had.

I ASAP crushed the tiny fruits to get the seeds,having grown true currants that's what I always did,didn't process the seeds and got about 100% germination,so they were planted out the same year.

I have grown several currants and what I got looked and talked like a currant but much better taste than any true currant I'd ever grown, but a chore to harvest.

So no, not a true currant. Dr.Chatelet at the TGRC has all the accessions of everything that has been found on each of the islands in that complex.

Carolyn
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #62
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

I noticed something. Someone around here-(the area I live in)must like Yellow Pear. I went to W.M. with my family, and always check out the plants. There were two big flats of Bonnie Yellow Pears. I didn't get one as I was expecting seed from trades here.
But, later I thought I could get a head start if I bought a plant. But when I went back a couple of days, there weren't any more. Just something I noticed.
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #63
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

A week away, and I get this thread?

To me, Yellow Pear is good for one thing. It's a near perfectly shaped, edible (barely), dipping tool for your favorite salad dressing.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote