Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 21, 2016   #61
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It's time for them to build nest. I saw a piece of landscape fabric in a tree today and thought of this topic. Last year they would take the grocery store bags up the trees. It won't be long before they warm up...
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016   #62
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Oh wow, this thread has had me laughing and crying.

B54red, your squirrel problem sounds really bad. And that is why I am about to say that you need some new bait. (Please don't hate me Worth ). This bait recipe is from along time ago and I do not know the measurements. It was something an uncle made from advice from a neighbor of his when squirrels started living in his attic. It was peanut butter mixed with plaster of Paris. He rolled them into little balls and put them in his attic. I think it caused the squirrels to have heart attacks? JUst keep it away from your dogs. I don't know if it would affect them but it will kill rodents.
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016   #63
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #64
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybo! View Post
Oh wow, this thread has had me laughing and crying.

B54red, your squirrel problem sounds really bad. And that is why I am about to say that you need some new bait. (Please don't hate me Worth ). This bait recipe is from along time ago and I do not know the measurements. It was something an uncle made from advice from a neighbor of his when squirrels started living in his attic. It was peanut butter mixed with plaster of Paris. He rolled them into little balls and put them in his attic. I think it caused the squirrels to have heart attacks? JUst keep it away from your dogs. I don't know if it would affect them but it will kill rodents.
I have them thinned down some the old fashioned way right now but I'll keep your recipe in mind. I never had much luck with peanut butter as bait so I assume it was more them avoiding the traps than the peanut butter. Same with peanuts, corn, pecans, and even cheese.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #65
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of cheese.
My upstairs neighbors had a mean little dog that would come in our house.
Sweet thing until you tried to get him out.
He would bite you.
I had to lure him out with cheese.
I would say cheese and his ears would perk up and follow me outside.
Found out that is what they did to.
That mean little thing would follow me everywhere.
One night he came in and was by my bed asleep and I got up and stepped on him he bit me.
I had no idea he was even in the house.
His name was Buster.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #66
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
It's a no-no to feed cats?

I guess I'm going to hell.
If your neighbors get mad at you for feeding them, it's a no-no of sorts, I suppose. Maybe?

Mostly, one is supposed to TNR (trap-neuter-release) if you want to feed feral cats. Otherwise, you're basically feeding them the raw material to make more feral cats. But homeless cats need to eat, and feeding them is a good deed IMO.

There's also always a chance they're not feral and whoever owns them doesn't want them eating certain things. I knew someone that would get mad when her grain-intolerant cat would get a snack at the neighbor's and end up with an IBD/diarrhea flareup. But she really should have kept that cat indoors.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote