Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 2, 2011   #16
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Well most of the covering is on now. We'll have another cold front soon enough. We'll see how it does in the wind.

Funny that you should mention the wiggle wire channels. I was told about them at the nursery. I have one channel running down each side. They work really good.

Elsewhere the covering is held on with binder clips, staples and crossed fingers.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011   #17
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I bought a 22x50 ft roll of greenhouse 6 mil plastic for about 200 plus shipping, from Gothic Arches Greenhouses for my big greenhouse. It works great. The problem with the drop cloth plastic out here is that we get about a month out of it before it starts to break down.
I also made a small hoop house and covered it with the greenhouse plastic and then at night I cover it with a tarp from HD for added protection when it gets down below freezing. Thank goodness that only happens a few nights of the winter here.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011   #18
kath
Tomatovillian™

It looks GREAT! Very neat. No experience with this, so I don't know how to keep it from being blown about in the wind.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011   #19
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

That's a nice looking greenhouse.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011   #20
Dawningstar1
Tomatovillian™

Love your greenhouse looks like you put a lot of work in it... great job!!!
Old January 2, 2011   #21
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

If the plastic makes like a wave across it when the wind blows (not sure if I am explaining that clear enough) then one thing they do here on hoop houses and tobacco tunnels they add a cross rope. you would tie a rope from bottom corner to opposite bottom corner so that the two ropes cross in the middle of the top of the greenhouse like an X, you can adjust these ropes so that it tightens the plastic to the frame of the tunnel. This sturdies it up a bit. Just an ideal if the winds become an issue. The greenhouse looks awesome by the way.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011   #22
alamo5000
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post
If the plastic makes like a wave across it when the wind blows (not sure if I am explaining that clear enough) then one thing they do here on hoop houses and tobacco tunnels they add a cross rope. you would tie a rope from bottom corner to opposite bottom corner so that the two ropes cross in the middle of the top of the greenhouse like an X, you can adjust these ropes so that it tightens the plastic to the frame of the tunnel. This sturdies it up a bit. Just an ideal if the winds become an issue. The greenhouse looks awesome by the way.
I was thinking the same thing. Only it doesn't nessesarily have to be an X. He probably could get away with just running little ropes across the top every few feet.

I would go ahead and do that to be honest. It looks good but a 35mph wind could change that.
alamo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It looks great but will look better with plants in it.

What mil covering did you use?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011   #24
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

The covering is 4 mil. I just loooked back through my posts and noticed that I have not mentioned where I got the idea for the design. It came from a website called Erics Projects http://www.ericsprojects.com
I changed it a little bit but not much. I liked the idea of the cattle panels. It made things go a lot easier I think. The rope suggestion is a good one. I think I will do that.
Old January 2, 2011   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like the cow panel idea. I have some 3/4 inch rigid conduit that I have bent to form a house.

It is huge, something like 16widex16tallx20long I could grow a few small trees in it.

I could weld the cow panels to it for strength AND support the cover.

Looks nice.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011   #26
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

would someone post a pic of a cow panel pleeeze? Having read about these for several years now & not having a mental pic of what they are is aggravating (esp after going to our farm/feed store & getting blank stares when asking for several)...TIA
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011   #27
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Here is a pic of a cattle panel. You might ask them if they have feedlot pannels for cattle.

This ad is old by the way they usually run at most places around $20 but they occasionally do go on sale. Think I paid $16 each for the 5 I have last year

Basically it is like a 16ft section of wire fence that is 48" tall except it is very heavy duty and does not bend very easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cattle pannel.jpg (10.0 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Stepheninky; January 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add info
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011   #28
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! That helps a lot!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011   #29
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Cattle panels have a million uses around the yard. They can often be cheaper than CRW. Quick, cheap trellises that can easily be relocated, and last for years.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2011   #30
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

We are supposed to have a few days of lows in the mid 20's here next week. This would be a great time to gain some knowledge on heating the greenhouse. I plan to buy a heater this weekend and some tarps to close up the ends. I'm going to get an electric heater with a fan. How big of a heater do you guys think I will need to keep it above freezing enough to have my tomato plants in there at mid 20's? I'm not going to put them in there this weekend but I want to see what would happen if I did. I don't want to risk some calamity like popping a circuit breaker in the middle of the night. This will be a test run.