Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 24, 2014   #1
solid7
Tomatovillian™

Default Forgot my lime

Has anybody here every forgot to include the lime to their earthtainer/earthbox/etc, and added it after the fact? Maybe by some clever means? (a liquid suspension, perhaps)

I use a little different method that involves some compost (yeah, I know, rule breaker) that feeds and buffers. The plants look absolutely fantastic. I just don't want any surprises later.

Thank you in advance.
solid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Lime is added because SWC rely on peat, which is known to become acidic. These conditions can impede your plants ability to utilize the nutrients and result in BER and other nutrient related issues. A small amount of pickling lime mixed with water and added to the watering system is a treatment if you get BER. Not sure that I would try that as a replacement for the missing dolomite lime.

Compost is a wonderful ingredient and helps many plants grow great. Unfortunately in an earthbox or SWC situation it results in your growing media turning to muck quicker than it might otherwise. Not a problem if you don't mind replacing your growing medium.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Be careful too much lime can be bad too.
A little will go a long way too much will make the soil alkali and your plants wont grow.
If you can keep the ph below 7 but above 5.5 or 6.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Duplicate post from dumb smartphone.

Worth
Old October 24, 2014   #5
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

You can pour 1 tsp calcium nitrate down the watering tube once a week. They say it helps prevent BER.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014   #6
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Irv - I use Calcium Nitrate weekly but the lime in a SWC is really to offset acidity in the mix. If it gets too acid, as peat does, the plants cannot use the calcium.
Old October 24, 2014   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

From looking at the thread title I thought you may have been making mojitos.

Worth
Old October 24, 2014   #8
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Linda. I wonder if it's too late to just scratch dolomite in the top few inches of the mix. I know it takes a while for it to break down before it's really useful. I have also heard that pickling lime is considered a one time only fix for BER. Any thoughts on that?

Worth, I don't drink. What's a Mojito taste like? I love pirate movies so I've always wondered what rum tastes like but don't want to try it because of the alcohol. I wonder if they make near rum like near beer?

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Wiseguy View Post
Worth, I don't drink. What's a Mojito taste like? I love pirate movies so I've always wondered what rum tastes like but don't want to try it because of the alcohol. I wonder if they make near rum like near beer?

Irv
A good mojito doesn't really taste like nothing but mint lime and club soda with a little sugar in it.
Thanks to a high quality rum of course.
I make fake mojitos all the time.
Just muddle the mint leaves in a little soda add sugar squeezed lime and the rest of the soda and ice.
No alcohol.
Makes a very refreshing drink.

Worth
Old October 24, 2014   #10
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Wiseguy View Post
Thanks, Linda. I wonder if it's too late to just scratch dolomite in the top few inches of the mix. I know it takes a while for it to break down before it's really useful. I have also heard that pickling lime is considered a one time only fix for BER. Any thoughts on that?

Irv
Yes, I've used pickling lime exactly as prescribed, as a one time fix for BER and it did seem to help. As I said, I am not at all convinced adding it now would be either a good idea or even helpful. I am inclined to agree that applying some dolomite to the surface might be a good bet.

Actually, op could use Bonide brand garden lime instead, which is a hydrated type lime and breaks down much quicker than dolomite. Its in a bright yellow bag and available at places like True Value Hardware. We got into a long discussion about it more than once over on the EB forum. Use care when applying not to breath it or touch it.
Old October 25, 2014   #11
solid7
Tomatovillian™

I am not concerned about BER. Just about the acidity of the peat, which I'm not sure that I need to be worried about, at this point. From past soil tests, it seems that our water, over tme, tends to take the PH the other way. Just not sure exactly how fast that happens.

It probably wouldn't be the best time to scratch it in at the top, seeing that the plants have already laid down a pretty good network of feeder roots. I guess I'm just going to have to take what I get this season.

As for the compost, It's a mix that I make, using a 1:1:1 mixture of peat/compost/growstones at the top 2" of my container. The rest of my container is the "regular" mix, (3:2:2, pine bark fines/peat/growstones) except for pure peat around the "wick")

Last edited by solid7; October 25, 2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old October 25, 2014   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I've used this product before in containers but not on SWC's.

http://www.aggrand.com/store/products/lime.aspx

Ami
Old October 25, 2014   #13
MissS
Tomatovillian™

If your plants are looking good, then you may not need to adjust the PH. If your plants start to fade from PH issues you can use a bit of wood ash to neutralize the PH. It acts very quickly and also supplies potassium and minerals for fruit set.
Old October 25, 2014   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Potassium is also known as potash because it was found to be in the ashes of burned potted plants.
Again too much wood ash can raise the ph too much so if you already have an alkaline soil you don't want the use it.
Unless you are growing Yucca.
My rule of thumb is if the plants are growing well leave them alone.
Worth
Old October 25, 2014   #15
solid7
Tomatovillian™

Great advice on the wood ash. I just happen to keep lots of it around, as my bananas love it. I always screen out my burnt up lump charcoal and wood, to re-use the bigger pieces, make biochar with the smaller, and then the finest particles go in an ash bucket. So that's a totally workable option.